A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
D14 air filter questions
Ringting
Newport Pagnell
Second Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 34
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 5, 2019 - 10:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi folks. My D14 had a pancake air filter fitted and I am in the process of returning it to original RH side panel and rubber tube. So I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.

The PO had fitted the filler panel between the two side panels. I had to remove it to fit the rubber tube. It leaves quite a gap through which can be seen the frame tube, battery and spacer tubes. Is this how they're meant to be? I can't see any other filler panels in the parts book.

The parts book shows a wire clip on the side panel end of the rubber tube. Does this fit inside the tube to expand it and make it more secure?

The tube fitting onto the carb was a bit baggy but has pulled up with a hose clip. However I've just been reading stuff on here and someone referred to an adaptor that screws onto the carb that the rubber fits onto. I don't have one and there is nothing shown in the parts book. Should I have one and where can I buy one?

I've ordered an 850 mini filter element that I hope I can adapt to fit. 

D1, D14/4, Guzzi LeMans, Triumph Trident 900, Maserati 160 t4. Mk1 Mini Traveller, Berkeley T60.

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1586
August 6, 2019 - 12:28 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

the wire spring fits in the lip of the rubber tube once its fitted to the panel,
and yes D14 do not have a centre filler panel
and no adaptor that screws onto the carb

D? - D10- D14 Bantams 350 AJS -500 Triumph http://bsanotru.....lfire.com/

Ringting
Newport Pagnell
Second Gear User
Site Member
August 6, 2019 - 11:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Mike. Any idea where I can get the wire clip. I've never seen one advertised anywhere.

D1, D14/4, Guzzi LeMans, Triumph Trident 900, Maserati 160 t4. Mk1 Mini Traveller, Berkeley T60.

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Top Gear User
Site Member
August 7, 2019 - 12:37 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Air filter clip pt no 82-8328
To be honest you dont really need it the air filter rubber stays in the inner panel hole ok without it
my D14 one went AWL on the garage floor some 4 years ago

Ringting
Newport Pagnell
Second Gear User
Site Member
August 7, 2019 - 10:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Okay thanks Mike. The Mini air filter arrived today and looks like it'll work. The inside diameter is the same as the rubber tube so once it's clamped onto it it'll stop it from moving. I just need to order some threaded rod or long M5 screws so I can fix an ally strip across it to blank off the outer hole and clamp it onto the rubber carb hose flange.Img_2269small.jpgImg_2263small.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Top Gear User
Site Member
August 7, 2019 - 11:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

How deep is that filter I had a problem with the depth of a car paper filter like that, the cover would not fit properly
so I used a wire Pancake filter which fitted ok and used rubber straps to hold it in place from
** Please log in to view **
filters_and_adaptors_3.png

Ringting
Newport Pagnell
Second Gear User
Site Member
August 7, 2019 - 11:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's in the shed so can't measure exactly right now but about 40mm. It'll fit in okay. The pic shows it's below the level of the cover fixing stud. How did you blank off the outer hole Mike?

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Top Gear User
Site Member
August 8, 2019 - 12:25 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I used the outer end cover off a Pancake filter
and a rubber strip cut from a inner tube going from the bottom right original clip fitting to a new one opposite it

BantamBaz
Reading Berkshire
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 20
September 24, 2019 - 8:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good morning, 

I've been looking into this too. Although the internal diameter of the filter matches the lip of the intake hose the retaining clip brackets for the original filter push it off centre. Also the through bolt that retains the side panels intrudes onto the sealing lip.

The off set can be overcome with a bit of Stanley knife modification & the bolt head could be reduced .

I'm trying to use a pancake filter about 125mm across & 80mm deep. Seems to fit.

Will try to upload a picture or 2 when I've sorted it.

Barrie.

Piquet
West Norfolk
Admin
Forum Posts: 2318
September 24, 2019 - 3:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

See here

** Please log in to view **

I'm not a complete idiot ............................................ some parts are missing.

Ringting
Newport Pagnell
Second Gear User
Site Member
October 5, 2019 - 10:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry it's been a while. Here are some pics to finish this post, fitting a BMC Mini air filter to a D14.

Pics are,

Thinned down head on side panel back plate bolt to allow filter to sit flat on end of rubber air hose.

Bottom front rubber band hook removed ( to allow filter to centre over hose inlet), back plate drilled and 5mm studs and locking nuts fitted.

Cover plate cut to shape, drilled and fitted. Nuts under the plate limit the crush on the filter.Img_2270-small--1.jpgImg_2276-small-1.jpgImg_2281-small--1.jpgImg_2282-small--1.jpg

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
Forum Posts: 220
October 5, 2019 - 11:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice, clever, tidy solution, Allan. Good job smile

Stewart 

'52 D1 direct lighting plunger, '58 Square Four (project), '59 D1 direct lighting plunger,  '59 Tiger Cub, '60 5TA,  '76 FS1-E

Mannanan
Leigh On Sea, Essex. Uk.
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 160
October 6, 2019 - 8:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not looking to be negative about this modification but was it necessary? You have now cut your inner panel to make it fit a non standard filter. Although a bit expensive, a new standard filter is readily available from K&N. Your bike, your choice so just saying.

sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1300
October 6, 2019 - 9:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

i   like  the   old  swety   Sock   over  a  tube   of   ckiking   wirer  mesh      an  ezy  woshout  too     you  have  done  very  well   with  your  project   keep  it   up   its very   nice,

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3046
October 6, 2019 - 9:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mannanan said
Not looking to be negative about this modification but was it necessary?...

I see what you mean there (and agree also with - do what you want to your own bike). I like Sunny's remedy, simple and effective! Got to admit it's an elegant piece of engineering, though. tip-my-hat

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn, 6 runners (when I get time!) and a still in progress Morini 250

not henpecked
Near J 11 of M42
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 250
October 6, 2019 - 1:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Ringting

Great use of a 850 mini filter. I used the standard pancake filter and end plate and used a piece of inner tube to hold it in place. It meant I didn't have to do any modifications to the side panel.

For all of you who want to see it look at Piquet reply earlier in this topic and ** Please log in to view **.

I was hoping that with the filter mounted in the side panel the induction roar would be quieter, but no such luck! Please let all know whether the induction roar is less with the mini filter fitted.

Peterg made the comment of reverse flow of the intake when the piston descends. To date and after 250 miles there's no sign of petroloil blowback up the tube to the filter.

B175, on the road. Honda XBR 500, and ....... Suzuki Burgman 200 scoot! Nicknamed "The hair dryer" - by me I hasten to add; & great storage under the seat when you get to your destination.

Ringting
Newport Pagnell
Second Gear User
Site Member
October 6, 2019 - 8:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It would be easy enough to weld a tag back on if anyone ever wanted to fit an original type filter but since it's out of sight I'm not bothered about it.

It did have a pancake filter on it which was causing inconsistent mixture problems so that's the main reason I went back to a filter under the side cover. But it does also now look more original. I was surprised that it is noisier with the filter inside the side panel than it was with the pancake. To the point where I think I should be wearing ear plugs when I'm riding it!

I too have not experienced any petroil mixture getting blown back that far. It was giving the inside of the pancake a good coating and even the frame tube got covered when I ran it without any filter. I have however cut 3mm off the back of the piston skirt to increase the inlet duration so I'd expect more blow back at lower revs.

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Top Gear User
Site Member
October 7, 2019 - 5:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I dont disagree that the K&N filter is very good but no way am I going to spend £55 on a bantam air filter
this is mine a £5 wire pancake filter without the screw on faceplate and held in place by rubber band cut from an inner tube
no modification to the bikes filter housing at all
used like this for the last few years and it works fine

PancakeD14.jpg

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
16 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters: