A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
D14/4 Side cover assembly issue.
Rickster61
Montrose, Scotland
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 5
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 8, 2021 - 9:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am re-assembling my 1968 D14/4. The parts were taken off before first lock down in 2020, with the Red parts have been resprayed & the Black parts have been powder coated. Things were going fine until I came to fitting the Right Hand side panel. It doesn't fit now.

I am trying to recall if the Black inner plate sits behind the Right Hand lip of the front panel shown in the photos, or does it sit on top of the lip with the Right Hand panel sitting on top of that? The powder coating isn't that thick on the plate, which I did wonder if it was causing the problem?

Any advice would be appreciated. The Bike is called Frank (short for Frankenstein) as there seems to be a mixture of parts. The guy I bought it from did say it was a box of bits when he got it.

Cheers1_Black-plate-on-lip.jpgBlack plate on the lip.

2_Black-plate-clear-of-lip.jpg Black plate clear of the lip

3_Internal-view-of-D14_4-1.jpg

Internal view of battery area & back of the side plate. Bolts are not tightened up.

stubaker58
Sunny Felixstowe
Area Rep
Club Member
Forum Posts: 642
June 9, 2021 - 7:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Rickster,

that’s looking good.  The problem with the side panels is that from D7 to B175 they all look the same but aren’t! They won’t fit together properly unless they are a matching set. You seem to have D7/10 panels, which will fit the frame and work if they are a set (the D14 had no centre panel and the right hand side panel has a hole and brackets for the air filter arrangement).

Your top photo shows how they go together, with the centre panel behind the side panel, the curved cover should then fit over the black side panel.  In my experience the fit is often not that good after years of being taken off and back on, some gentle persuasion may be needed!  The correct side cover to fit that side panel should have an internal clip to hold the toolkit.

The D10 silver/supreme parts book p32 (see members area) shows how it all fits together.

Best of luck!

“There’s nothing new under the sun”.

Rickster61
Montrose, Scotland
Second Gear User
Club Member
June 9, 2021 - 8:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Stubaker,

Thanks for the feedback, it's very much appreciated. It doesn't surprise me that it's not the right parts, as the headlight cover was incorrect too (bought the correct one), plus other bits too.

Looks like I might have to get the Dremel out if the inner panel cannot be 'persuaded' to fit. The thing is, it did fit before being stripped down, but there's maybe been an element of distortion to the inner panel due to it, and the rest of the tin ware to be honest, having been grit blasted to strip off the old bodged paint.

I'll work away with what I have in the mean time. I might have to resort to buying the correct parts for Frank.

I've added the two side panels that I'm fitting. As you can see the R/H one has the clip for the tool kit.

Thanks again.

Rickster5_L_R-internals-of-side-panels.jpg4_L_R-Side-panels.jpg

stubaker58
Sunny Felixstowe
Area Rep
Club Member
Forum Posts: 642
June 9, 2021 - 10:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Rickster,

They look like a set, I’m sure that cover will fit back on. Maybe worth checking the tubular spacers behind the black inner panel, they come in different lengths and could lead to distortion of the panel as the fixing bolts are tightened up.

Regards.

“There’s nothing new under the sun”.

Rickster61
Montrose, Scotland
Second Gear User
Club Member
June 10, 2021 - 8:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Stubaker. I'll certainly give that a try before anything else & let you know. thumbs-up

Cheers

Rickster

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: larryc, AllanD3
18 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3320

Cornish Rooster: 2917

Blue Heeler: 2435