A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
D14/4 rear wheel bearing replacment
Hairy
Barrow upon Soar Loughborough Leicestershire
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 8
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 22, 2019 - 11:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

HI, I am a new member and am in the process of trying to rebuild my D14/4. At the moment I am replacing 

the rear bearings and as with most things I have checked have previously been assembled with the washers

in the wrong position. I cannot find any reference to how tight the inner nuts should be, when I removed them

they were finger tight which doesn't seem right to me. If anybody could assist with this information I would be

grateful and I would also like to know the thickness off the speedo drive spacer and the other washers as I 

have no faith in the correct parts being fitted. 

AdrianS
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 67
January 22, 2019 - 4:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Was the wheel turning OK before you stripped it to replace the bearings? If so it is probable that the correct sized parts are there.

If you haven't got an exploded diagram then look on the Draganfly website. Good diagrams and specs for some of the parts.

I assume you mean the nuts holding the brake plate and the speedo drive on. These should be tight but they don't have to be torqued up to any high figure. I just finger tighten them and apply the brake lever and with a spanner just nip them up. The spacer for the speedo drive I cannot remember what the exact size is. If you google the part, a lot of sellers will mention the size of it. The wheel bearing locking ring on the brake side I just do up with a pair of circlip pliers as tight as I can which, using the circlip pliers is not very tight. Most people will use a chisel to unlock them if tight - don't use a chisel to tighten the ring up. 

Just check when reassembled that the wheel turns freely. You also need to check the speedo drive and the brake plate alignment is correct. I have in the past refitted the wheel with the locknut for the speedo drive loose,  fit the brake reaction bar to the swing arm, adjust the speedo drive to the correct position and then use a very thin home made spanner to nip up the speedo drive nut firmly. I then fit the chain and readjust the whole wheel.

Hairy
Barrow upon Soar Loughborough Leicestershire
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 8
January 22, 2019 - 7:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi, many thanks for the information. When checking the bike over I tried spinning the rear wheel to check for bearing noise, although the wheel turned

fairly easily it would not spin as free as I expected. I decided to change the bearings anyway after finding out the low cost of the parts. When dismantling I found the inner nuts loose and the shim on the brake drum side fitted to the outside of the bearing. There was also a thin spacer fitted to the outside of the other bearing behind the speedo drive spacer as well as the shim on the outside of the speedo drive. The new bearings should be with me tomorrow so I will try assembling as you suggest and hope it all lines up, in the meantime I will keep myself busy making a spanner as you suggest. Appreciate you taking the time to help.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 98

Currently Online: mikef, BASIL, Lone Wolf
11 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3303

Anderzander: 3209

bart: 3137

Sprung Chicken: 2650

David Dale: 2491