A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
D14 4 0r B?
derek50
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 11
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 8, 2021 - 6:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi all, I'm new to Bantams so please excuse my ignorance, 

I bought a D14 a few months ago as a D14/4, is that the same as a D14B? which the frame & engine numbers are. it just helps if you know what's what when ordering bits. 

Also how many different type of forks are there for these?, While checking out the forks i referred to the Haynes manual which says 6fl ozs oil in each leg,ever tried getting a quart into a plnt pot!! & obviously lf they're full up they aren't going to work, so I checked the manual for the D14 on here & on the fork section (page 28) second last paragraph it says 1/8 pint (2 1/2 fl oz) but then in the next paragraph it says 1/6 pint (3 1/2) I'm confused. 

just for reference mine are the ones with the long spring innermost that's screwed to a "restrictor which is screwed to the bottom of the leg with a stud.hope that makes sense.      

Any help appreciated. 

stubaker58
Sunny Felixstowe
Area Rep
Club Member
Forum Posts: 624
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
April 8, 2021 - 7:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi

First if all welcome.

Bantams can be a bit confusing! The D14/4 was a model code, a D14 with /4 gears so a frame number D14B xxxx is spot on.

The D14 was the first Bantam to have 4 speeds across the whole range. It was also tuned for speed and as a result can be a bit temperamental, BSA did further work and actually lowered the compression ratio slightly for the final version the B175.

Some D14s had the “heavyweight” forks but the D14/4 came with the “lightweight” forks. From your description it sounds like this is what you’ve got. They are basically the same as the D7-D10 forks except for the oil seal which is a bit wider and so has a bigger chromed holder.

As for the oil. First lesson is that the Haynes manual is not to be trusted, pick up a genuine BSA handbook on EBay, they cover a lot of the routine maintenance. The correct amount for the D14/4 ‘Supreme’ (ie basic!) model  is 1/8th of a pint per leg (the 1/6th is for the Sports and Bushman models).

Hope that helps.

“There’s nothing new under the sun”.

derek50
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 11
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 8, 2021 - 8:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Many thanks for that Stu, does make things a lot clearer, 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223