A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
D10 Silencer and Baffles Assembly
Daffers
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 63
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 6, 2021 - 3:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi everyone.  Silencer had been dismantled before I ever saw it.  Baffles fit on the long rod attaching to the cone, that is ok.  But the 'Primary' baffle {if that is what it is) was just loose in the silencer.  How is it secured?  Am I missing a part?  I have been reading through all of the blogs and every unit seems to be different.  No pyramid spacer that I can find, although I have boxes of nuts and bolts it could be in.  What does it do?  Do I need it?  Everything needs the oily gunge removing, working on that.  Thanks.

rsz_silencer.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3320
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
February 6, 2021 - 4:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here's my D3's.

The rod which the secondary baffles fit over is welded to the 'cheesegrater', which is attached via a bolt through the silencer body, near the exhaust mount. I can't tell if your rod should be attached to the tube or not, but don't see how it would work otherwise. Also, it looks to me that the front end of the tube sits just behind the exhaust pipe and is held by the tight fit.

To clean the «censored» off, I  used a paint stripper blower in the open air, be careful with the silencer body though, or you will blue it.Baffles.JPG

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
February 6, 2021 - 4:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I didn't realise (C) rud was a swear word, I'll try 'oily excrement' next.

Daffers
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Site Member
February 6, 2021 - 4:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ha ha.  I have said a lot worse trying to build this thing! I saw your post and wondered if they were similar styles. But now you have mentioned that the rod should be welded to the tube baffle it becomes a bit clearer, and quite obvious now I think about it.  I should have placed the circlip at the other end of the pipe for the photo, I took it off there, guess it tightens the pipes together.  Any idea about needing the Pyramid Spacer?  I can easily buy one anyway.  Thanks.

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
Forum Posts: 1242
February 6, 2021 - 9:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bloomin ridiculous the c-rud should be censored - verdammte system!

'55 D3 Battery; '58 Square Four (project); '59 D1 direct lighting plunger; '59 Tiger Cub; '60 5TA;  '76 FS1-E; '91 GTR 1000;  '97 Honda Sky SGX50.

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1647
February 6, 2021 - 11:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

as you now know the rod should be welded inside the silencer which then holds the baffles and the end cap on

But you also have the wrong silencer, that one is off a D3
I have a D1 mongraal bike with mostly a D10 4speed engine I started off with a D3 silencer but it had a bad dead zone above 3000 rpm I fiddled about with the carb jetting for a while and then thought I would try a D7/D10 silencer
which cured the problem completely
the Exhaust on a 2 stroke make a big difference
D7/D10 type below

dsilencer.png

D? - D10- D14 Bantams 350 AJS -500 Triumph http://bsanotru.....lfire.com/

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
February 7, 2021 - 8:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

mike p5xbx said
... you also have the wrong silencer, that one is off a D3 ...

Are you sure, Mike? This is off my 1956 D3, original as far as I am aware - but after 60 odd years who knows?

Doesn't show the fishtail end, but does show the effect of over enthusiastic heat gun exposure...whistle

resize-exhaust.JPG

Daffers
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Site Member
June 10, 2021 - 12:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Daffers said
Hi everyone.  Silencer had been dismantled before I ever saw it.  Baffles fit on the long rod attaching to the cone, that is ok.  But the 'Primary' baffle {if that is what it is) was just loose in the silencer.  How is it secured?  Am I missing a part?  I have been reading through all of the blogs and every unit seems to be different.  No pyramid spacer that I can find, although I have boxes of nuts and bolts it could be in.  What does it do?  Do I need it?  Everything needs the oily gunge removing, working on that.  Thanks.

rsz_silencer.jpg  

This is the photo I posted a while ago.  Now got the 'pyramid spacer' and 'sealing ring'.  But where exactly do they fit?  Confused.

Sponge
Lancashire (A chip shop somewhere near Preston)
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 605
June 10, 2021 - 12:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Could yell you where they go on a D10 silencer but thats not a D10 silencer so I guess you could try to post into D3 topics. Sorry I cannoy hhelp more.

Daffers
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Site Member
June 10, 2021 - 1:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, it seems to be a mish-mash of D3 silencer with a D10 end cone.  They must fit together somehow.

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
June 10, 2021 - 5:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It doesn't look like a D3 casing to me, neither does the main baffle. The rod would be welded to the end of the baffle on a D3, then the rear baffles fitted to that (inside the casing). The sealing ring between the casing and the fishtail, then the cone nut holding the fishtail to the pipe - which means the main baffle has to be fixed somewhere. On my D3 is is via a bolt through the casing and baffle near the mounting bracket.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: cocorico, Madasapike, toppo46, GingerBSA, Landroll
18 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3320

Cornish Rooster: 2917

Blue Heeler: 2435

bart: 2428

David Dale: 2144