A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
D10 First ride out
Daffers
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 63
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 28, 2021 - 10:37 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Success!  It is back on the road.  Thank you to everyone for their advice and encouragement.  The box of bits is now running and legal.  Still needs some tweaking but getting there. 

Bantam-D10-first-ride-out.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1821
May 28, 2021 - 12:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

very  good   Daffers   nice  project    well  done  

Daffers
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 28, 2021 - 1:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Sunny.  Much appreciated.  Needs mirrors I think.  Would it have had them originally? Trying to work out how the back reflector fits on, may have to buy a new one with bracket.

sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1821
May 28, 2021 - 4:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

the  D7  lenz  reflector  is  part  of the  rear  lenz   or   you  mite  wont to  drill  a hole threw  the  mudgard  

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
Forum Posts: 1242
May 29, 2021 - 4:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

From dining-room table to the open road! Congrats, Daffers. Great effort 🙂 Mirrors is an oft discussed topic. Personally, I like bar-ends rather than stalk things: Bit more period and "british," methinks. The stalk things always seem more scootery(Italian) or Jap to me. They might look fine with your higher bars: You choose your own aesthetic. Well done again!

'55 D3 Battery; '58 Square Four (project); '59 D1 direct lighting plunger; '59 Tiger Cub; '60 5TA;  '76 FS1-E; '91 GTR 1000;  '97 Honda Sky SGX50.

BantamBaz
Reading Berkshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 136
May 29, 2021 - 6:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Like the look of your bars Daffers, where from please ? Used to have similar swan necks on my Arrow, back when we wuz young.

Daffers
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 30, 2021 - 11:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Stoo63 said
From dining-room table to the open road! Congrats, Daffers. Great effort 🙂 Mirrors is an oft discussed topic. Personally, I like bar-ends rather than stalk things: Bit more period and "british," methinks. The stalk things always seem more scootery(Italian) or Jap to me. They might look fine with your higher bars: You choose your own aesthetic. Well done again!  

Thanks Stoo63.  Appreciated.  We have clamped an old Honda mirror on for now, temporary measure see how I like it.  I feel I need something to give me a fighting chance when turning right. Even got it working on the kickstart ... sometimes.

Daffers
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 30, 2021 - 11:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

BantamBaz said
Like the look of your bars Daffers, where from please ? Used to have similar swan necks on my Arrow, back when we wuz young.  

Hi BantamBaz.  They were on the bike when we first got it 40 years ago.  They look a bit like Bushman.  I am sure someone else on the forum will recognise them.

Daffers
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 30, 2021 - 11:14 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

sunny said
the  D7  lenz  reflector  is  part  of the  rear  lenz   or   you  mite  wont to  drill  a hole threw  the  mudgard    

There is a hole in the mudguard already.  I have the reflector and a metal disc which seems to hold it, but no bracket, perhaps they were never on the bike.  Think it may be easier to buy a replacement.  Will upload a photo later.

I also need the seal ring for the silencer, and new tyres as the current ones are 40+years old.  Checking the forum on peoples thought on which tyres are best.

Sponge
Lancashire (A chip shop somewhere near Preston)
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 605
May 30, 2021 - 5:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If it is a D10 Supreme it would have had mirrors fitted as standard on delivery. Square ended type. 

My D10 Supreme still has its original mirrors....although very rusty. I like them because they can be infinately adjusted to suit and give good visibility. 

Those bars look like the Western Bars that were supplied with US spec D7s. Very comfortable and stll avsilable if you know where to ask.

mikef
Chatham Kent
Club Technical Advisor
Committee
Forum Posts: 984
May 31, 2021 - 7:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here's a picture of my D14 with the Stadium type mirrors. From memory they were the type supplied as standard, they are good but require a bit of careful adjustment so that your arms don't get in the way. Mine are stainless steel, I think that I bought them from Classic Bike Shop about 8 years ago. I have seen many Bantams with bar end mirrors, some people prefer them. So the choice is yours.

mirrors-6.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
stubaker58
Sunny Felixstowe
Area Rep
Club Member
Forum Posts: 642
May 31, 2021 - 9:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you do go for bar end mirrors you won’t regret paying the extra for the genuine halcyon ones, they’re in a different league. (No connection etc. etc.)

Regards

“There’s nothing new under the sun”.

Daffers
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Site Member
June 1, 2021 - 10:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

stubaker58 said
If you do go for bar end mirrors you won’t regret paying the extra for the genuine halcyon ones, they’re in a different league. (No connection etc. etc.)

Regards  

They do look great, putting them on my christmas pressie list.  

Daffers
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Site Member
June 1, 2021 - 10:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So now it is on the road I need to prevent it from shaking itself to pieces.  The headlight lens moves a little, although the rim is nice and firm ... so far.  The silencer cone end is the problem.  Been looking at the sealing ring.  Seems to have a circular profile.  How does it fit?  

The main issue is it running lumpy in 1st and 2nd gear, especially at higher revs.  Fairly jerky, then smooths out in 3rd.  Any thoughts? 

Thanks in advance.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: Madasapike
20 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3320

Cornish Rooster: 2917

Blue Heeler: 2435

bart: 2428