A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
D10 Cylinder Barrels
Charlieb
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 12
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 17, 2021 - 11:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As i have a D7 complete and a D10 spare engine i just wondered are the cylinder barrels interchangeable between the two different engines

GlenAnderson
Dover
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 411
March 18, 2021 - 12:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sort of. 

The porting is quite a bit different between the two. 

What are you hoping to achieve? 

Charlieb
Second Gear User
Club Member
March 18, 2021 - 2:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just wondered if the d7 barrel would fit as i notice the D10 crankcases have a dowel in them and the D7 cases dosn't The barrel thats fitted to the D10 as no dowel so i think the barrel may be off a D7 i was thinking of building up the D10 engine but I think it must be the wrong barrel.pos from aD7

sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1807
March 18, 2021 - 7:08 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

i  beleve  the  dowel    was   put  ther   so that  on the  prodution  line   the  D 7  typ   wot  fit     and  stop the fiter  fiting  the  rong  one   

as  the   D10   onward   barrel   has  a   beter   shape   inlet  port

Sponge
Lancashire (A chip shop somewhere near Preston)
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 526
March 18, 2021 - 8:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Visually there is very little difference between a D7 and a D10 barrel. Except for the little hole for the dowel the port timings and inlet tract are different ad they are designed to run different carbs and pistons. You can swap some parts but not others.

All D10 onwards barrels have a small  hole in the bottom face for the dowel to fit into.

All D10 onwards crankcases will have a dowel in them to match up with the hole in the corresponding barrel. This dowel is easy to remove and does ittle to contribute to the performance of the engine. As Sunny says it does serve as a sanity check but I also think it prevents the barrel from twisting to the right when a high level pipe is fitted...other members will have other theories.

D7 barrels do not have this little hole. The D7 barrel is designed to run in conjunction with the correct D7 top end...carb, piston, head, exhaust etc. The stock D7 has a flat topped piston.

Likewise the D10 barrel is designed to run with the D10 top end. The stock D10 runs a domed piston and a profiled cylinder head.

So....by way of answer....if you remove the dowel from the crancase mouth you can fit a D7 barrell onto a D10 bottom end. But....unless you also fit the rest of the D7 top end it will not run right until you mess about with carbs and compression ratios, ignition timing ⁷etc eventually you will  wish you had never done it in the first place.

Likewise ...you can run a D10 barrel on a D7 bottom end but as above ideally it needs the complete D10 top end, carb, head, piston and engine settings to run right and you also risk early failure of your big-end with all the extra power and higher revs. 

Having tried both in the past and at present I have a D10A with a D7 top end because I cannot get to the engineering workshop to collect my D10 barrel I have fitted the complete D7 top end. With the D7 power delivery and a 4 speed box it makes a delightful and economical  touring bike.Unless you want to get into the realms of carb tuning and trying out different combinations of parts and ignition timings etc I would advise keep it all stock. 

Whatever you do avoid putting a D10 piston into a D7 engine without top end modifications...the stock D7 cylinder head is not compatible with a domed piston.  

I hope this gives you a steer in the right direction. Ride on.

Charlieb
Second Gear User
Club Member
March 18, 2021 - 12:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the info guys I will have to build the engine up with a complete D7 top end Cheers Charlie

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: Nick_S, derek50
14 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3465

Cornish Rooster: 3109

bart: 2691

Blue Heeler: 2540

David Dale: 2346