A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Compression plate
Fisambard
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 21
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 26, 2021 - 6:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Will I notice much difference if I ran without a compression plate on the flywheel. Whilst stripping motor today to replace selecter spring and tube thing, ball bearing had come out of worn housing I noticed that the plate was loose and had chewed up the seal behind it.

Plate had been tacked on but its knackered now.

cheers

sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1813
April 26, 2021 - 6:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

B S A  woud  not  has  spent  mouny   on   the  plats  if  thay  didnot  think  it was  werth  it  ,.,  you  willnot   notis  if  you   nothing  to 

compair  it  with

Fisambard
Second Gear User
Club Member
April 26, 2021 - 9:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The plate could have been rattling about for sometime in there, only noticed today when splitting the engine. The bike has been flying along nicely up until the gear selector packed up yesterday. It was only when tackling this did I notice the plate.

If I have a drop in performance then I will be cheesed off that I didnt re-fit thats all

It was just that I have heard that some people dont bother with them.

Any ideas who might stock them?

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
Forum Posts: 1239
April 26, 2021 - 10:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Check the Forum for lots of previous on this topic. Long time unobtainium item. 

'55 D3 Battery; '58 Square Four (project); '59 D1 direct lighting plunger; '59 Tiger Cub; '60 5TA;  '76 FS1-E; '91 GTR 1000;  '97 Honda Sky SGX50.

Number6
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 494
April 28, 2021 - 1:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fisambard said
The plate could have been rattling about for sometime in there, only noticed today when splitting the engine. The bike has been flying along nicely up until the gear selector packed up yesterday. It was only when tackling this did I notice the plate.

Hopefully you've caught it in time - when it happened to my '55 D3 it scraped a bunch of aluminium filings off of the inside of the crankcase - left main bearing (pre gearbox lubrication), big end, small end, cylinder wall, piston and rings, all trashed. cry

If it's been running fine then I'd leave it out as it wasn't doing anything anyway.

Mike H --

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3422
April 28, 2021 - 9:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

This could make an interesting topic - if it weren't for the fact it has been discussed to hell and back before, with no real conclusion.

Sponge
Lancashire (A chip shop somewhere near Preston)
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 559
April 29, 2021 - 8:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If they are on the crank I leave them in. If they are absent I don't worry about it. Electrical and fueling problems have a more detrimental effect upon performance. Other than that, as Cocorico says...it has all been said.

Fisambard
Second Gear User
Club Member
May 2, 2021 - 8:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Decided to run without the plates on either side, more trouble than their worth, bike just as fast. Did manage to find a damaged crank with a set of good plates on it, but decided not to go ahead. Whilst at it yesterday put in new seal, new primary chain, final drive sprockets and chain, and the ball bearing, spring  and tube thing for gear selector. Saturday five hours well spent. Up and running again.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: BillShas
12 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3422

Cornish Rooster: 3105

bart: 2666

Blue Heeler: 2520

David Dale: 2346