A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Clutch Cable (again)
Mannanan
Leigh On Sea, Essex. Uk.
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 160
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 13, 2019 - 3:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I know this has come up before and yes, I have looked in FAQs. However; can anyone please confirm the amount that the inner cable extends from the outer cable. Bike is a B175 with standard bars and levers. (no pattern parts with adjusters) Having problems with aftermarket cables and I know I’m not the first! Thanks.

Ed.

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3113
August 13, 2019 - 3:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Have a look at the last 2 posts ** Please log in to view **, they may help.

Also ** Please log in to view **, post 9.

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn, including a Morini 250 now running nicely, almost road worthy.

Mannanan
Leigh On Sea, Essex. Uk.
Top Gear User
Club Member
August 13, 2019 - 11:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok, thanks for that but unless I am missing something, I don’t think that answers my question regarding the amount that the inner cable extends from the outer cable.

Piquet
West Norfolk
Admin
Forum Posts: 2326
August 13, 2019 - 11:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

** Please log in to view **

It's not critical, in practice anywhere between 3" & 4" will probably do and definitely towards the 4" length with handlebar lever adjusters.

Most people, having bought a pattern cable, need to cut around an inch off the outer.

I'm not a complete idiot ............................................ some parts are missing.

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3113
August 14, 2019 - 7:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mannanan said
Ok, thanks for that but unless I am missing something, I don’t think that answers my question regarding the amount that the inner cable extends from the outer cable.  

I seem to remember one of the posts talks about removing the existing 'known' cable and measuring it, for some reason I thought you still had the original one - must have been a different post. dunno

Sorry I don't have an exact measurement to hand...

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn, including a Morini 250 now running nicely, almost road worthy.

Mannanan
Leigh On Sea, Essex. Uk.
Top Gear User
Club Member
August 14, 2019 - 8:22 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Piquet, that post from Mike stating 85mm is what I needed. I do have the original but that is well kinked and stretched and measures around 95mm. I had a new pattern replacement from a reputable source that was 75mm but that stripped the cable from the handlebar nipple inside two weeks. I will now source another cable hopefully with a properly soldered nipple and of the correct length. Mikes point about too short a length will put the operating arm at a poor angle rings true as my clutch was very stiff. Thanks again.

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1605
August 14, 2019 - 5:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Clutch cables are a blooming nightmare partly due to the people who sell them
if you cant make your own
J J Cables Ltd Hillfields Farm Lighthorne Warwickshire
are highly recommended and know all about the different lengths needed for a Bantam
may well cost more then Ebay but at least will fit properly

D? - D10- D14 Bantams 350 AJS -500 Triumph http://bsanotru.....lfire.com/

Mannanan
Leigh On Sea, Essex. Uk.
Top Gear User
Club Member
August 14, 2019 - 6:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for that Mike. I will get in touch with JJ Cables. Not worried about the cost if it does a good job. Fed up wasting £10.00 on cables that just about poke into what looks like a lead nipple. Buy cheap, buy twice as they say.

Lone Wolf
The Black Country
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1444
August 15, 2019 - 1:03 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wotcha.

For what it's worth - I used levers from an Indian Enfield, which have adjusters ( and a front brake light switch ) and the inner extends four inches.

^..^

johnsullivan
east sussex
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 799
August 15, 2019 - 12:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

For throttle,clutch  and choke cables there is a lot of pleasure in making one up .Many good guides on web,old magazine articles too.Brake cables I'd prefer a pro though .On the garden stuff I just use solderless nipples,saving a fortune for my impecunious customers...if that term is right for my odd clientele of 'can you fix it I really do not want to buy another one at my time of life...'  beautiful mowers condemned by greedy garden machinery spivs.Ten pounds and an hour, like new ..oh it beyond repair...grrrr.Sorry about the rant but it wrankles.

67 D10. and a D7    2007 Honda Hornet FA. Honda CD200 81 93 Yamaha TTR 250 Raid, Sinnis SC 125.   75 Montesa Cota 247 an electric scooter of Famous make.

Mannanan
Leigh On Sea, Essex. Uk.
Top Gear User
Club Member
August 25, 2019 - 10:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just to wrap this one up, I took Mikes advice and went to JJ Cables. The inner cable is about 10 mm longer than the cheaper pattern ones and generally seems far more robust. It fits perfectly giving the correct angle on the activating arm. I now have a much smoother clutch action and all seems fine. You get what you pay for.

Ed.

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
Forum Posts: 276
August 25, 2019 - 11:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Glad you got that sorted, Ed. I'm just about to go through the same faff with a throttle cable......

Stewart

'52 D1 direct lighting plunger, '58 Square Four (project), '59 D1 direct lighting plunger,  '59 Tiger Cub, '60 5TA,  '76 FS1-E

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: Tezza175, JulianS
14 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3208

bart: 3135

cocorico: 3113

Sprung Chicken: 2651