A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Chainguard query
Daffers
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 52
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 21, 2021 - 4:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi all.  Just wondered why there is a short metal channel on the inside/front of my D10 chainguard? 

rsz_chainguard.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Sponge
Lancashire (A chip shop somewhere near Preston)
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 526
March 21, 2021 - 5:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

T

Daffers said
Hi all.  Just wondered why there is a short metal channel on the inside/front of my D10 chainguard? 

rsz_chainguard.jpg  

My understanding is that it is to locate the lower chainguard plate. This much maligned part goes underneath the main chainguard and stops the oil from getting on your white trainers after a trip to the tennis club. You don't see many of them fitted....most Bantam owners leave them off or chuck them away because they don't know what they are or don't play tennis ! I recall a BSA Bantam advert with a handsome looking bloke in tennis kit chatting up some sporty girls down at the racket club. I still know a chap who rides his 1956 D1 Bantam to the squash club in the summer and to the shoot when its in season. 

These forgotten lower chainguard parts are becomming more attractive now as more owners are completing factory spec restorations. You might have one there. If so advise don't chuck it away. Nail it on the workshop door as one day you may be glad you have still got it !!

Sponge

Daffers
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Site Member
March 21, 2021 - 5:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Sponge.  Ha ha!  Nice one.  But are we speaking about the same bit?  I mean the slot made by a strip of metal welded on the inside.  Not removeable on mine. Right side in the photo?

Sponge
Top Gear User
Club Member
March 21, 2021 - 6:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, it is my understanding that the slot / channel made by that bit of steel inside the chainguard is to locate the lower chainguard.....if you have one. If not....then don't worry about it.....it is not essential. 

If curious.....I will dig out a lower chainguard and send a photo. 

Daffers
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Site Member
March 21, 2021 - 7:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yep, would appreciate a photo.  Cannot understand where it fits and what it does.  Thanks

Sponge
Top Gear User
Club Member
March 21, 2021 - 8:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I will send a photo of a lower chainguard tomorrow. Its a bit too dark to go poking around in the parts storage area now. Stand by.......but I promise you it is a bit underwhelming .....however, you did ask the question ???

Sponge
Top Gear User
Club Member
March 21, 2021 - 8:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

P.S. I might have worked out why your chainguard is bending. I might be wrong but from the picture in the other post I ca see that you have a D1/D3/D5 clutch actuator side cover which was originally designed for a slimmer chainguard...like the one on the D1. Don't think this will be a big issue but you might need to do a bit of minor surgery or add a spacer to get it to slot in. 

I have never fitted a D7 chainguard to a D1 side cover before so I could be barking up the wrong tree but I am hoping that another membrr out there can provide a definitive answer. Its a nice looking bike by the way and I am convinced that you will enjoy owning and riding it. 

Daffers
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Site Member
March 22, 2021 - 9:44 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks again Sponge.  I will get a better idea once I take the wheel off.  And as per Sunny's invaluable advice I will make notes along the way.

Sponge
Top Gear User
Club Member
March 22, 2021 - 9:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Daffers,  Lower chainguard as promised....... Sponge

lowerchainguard.jpg  

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Daffers
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Site Member
March 23, 2021 - 9:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you.  Seen them for sale on the internet.  Made no sense then and still no clearer.  I shall not be able to wear my white tennis shoes to the club, shame.  Chainguard fits perfectly with no back wheel!!

Sponge
Top Gear User
Club Member
March 23, 2021 - 11:37 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you don't have a lower chainguard yoh will not miss it. Just wear black boots and all will be fine.

When you fit the back wheel and hook up the drivechain ...line it all up and then see if it still fouls the chain. If it does then I would suggest remove the front mounting bolt ( the one on top of the engine) and see if you can adjust the foul away by moving the front of the chainguard left or right. 

If this solves the problem then you may need to take a file to the tangs on the front of the chainguard and ease it all a bit to get a good fit. Unfortunately this means removing the back wheel and gubbins at least once more but it is good practice. 

You can also bend the top mounting bracket eithrt way but be careful of the paintwork. 

It is quite normal to have to 'adjust' classic bike cycle parts and tinware to get it to fit. 

In the past I have spent hours staring at a badly fitting part trying to work out how to fix it without doing too much damage. A cup of tea and a chocolate digestive usually provides the necessary inspiration. 

Daffers
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Site Member
March 23, 2021 - 5:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Forget the tea.  I went for a glass of wine instead.  Working on the electrics, 12v conversion, and as the loom goes under the mudguard waiting before I put it all together again.  But will definitely have to modify the chainguard at the very least.  Thanks again.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
9 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3465

Cornish Rooster: 3109

bart: 2691

Blue Heeler: 2540

David Dale: 2346