A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
chaincase
robbo
leicestershire
Second Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 18
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 5, 2019 - 4:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

putting engine back together after new seals and ran into a problem with the chaincase/kickstart.put the cover on and tighten the screws and the kickstart will not return,if i unscrew the the screw at the back slightly it returns but leaks oil.is there a fix or can you remove some material from the kickstart boss inside the case.

GCOBBY
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 54
February 5, 2019 - 4:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Question, had everything worked before strip down , if so you have an issue with the clutch area ,something not re assembled correctly .. kick start quadrant or even return spring ,no filing!

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2613
February 5, 2019 - 4:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Make sure you have steel casing dowel/s in place, otherwise case doesn't go on centrally and binds on shaft to starter.

Instead of draining oil etc, I take off any wet battery and make sure fuel tank isn't too full, I then put an old gallon paint tin under each wheel after laying bike over on soft covered floor on nearside. If clutch needs to come off due to return spring not being fully wound up, you'll then find that putting the springs and cups back on is now a doddle, also.

Four now on the road and at least several in bits.

robbo
leicestershire
Second Gear User
Site Member
February 5, 2019 - 5:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

yes dowel is in place.was ok before strip down.only difference is a new clutch basket, all went back on ok so i dont know how you can get it wrong.engine is out of frame. 

Piquet
West Norfolk
Admin
Forum Posts: 2268
February 5, 2019 - 6:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Apart from a missing dowel the most common cause is that most modern primary cover gaskets are much too thin. Get a quality one from one of the well established and recognised Bantam parts suppliers and all will be well.

I'm not a complete idiot ............................................ some parts are missing.

robbo
leicestershire
Second Gear User
Site Member
February 5, 2019 - 6:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

gasket set was from rex caunt.

Mannanan
Leigh On Sea, Essex. Uk.
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 151
February 5, 2019 - 11:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had exactly the same problem with my B175. I didn’t like doing it but I used a combination of gasket and three bond to make the seal and that gave me just enough clearance for the kickstart to return. Never leaked oil since.

Sponge
Lancashire (A chip shop somewhere near Preston)
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 130
February 6, 2019 - 9:14 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had a similar problem when I upgraded a D14/4 to use the thicker kickstart shaft and chaincase from a B175. Exactly as you have said - the kickstarter was too tight when all the allen screws were tightened up.  I put this down to the B175 and D14 being machined slightly different. I then found that if I played around with the tighten-up sequence of the primary chaincase allen screws I could get it to hold oil and work properly.  I also found that some allen screws (from some suppliers) are marginally thicker than others and in some cases quite a bit thicker than the original factory fitted cross head machine screws ( now almost unobtainable new but lots of them still out there).   Suggest have a play around with the screws first.  Remember that you can over tighten allen screws - so don't be too aggressive with it and some of those screws need fibre washers behind them.  

It might also be a good idea to check that the mating surfaces are flat - a slight rocking of the chaincase cover could also cause binding.    

My D14/4 has retained its oil for 20 years now. No leaks.  Good luck 

Sponge   

robbo
leicestershire
Second Gear User
Site Member
February 6, 2019 - 11:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

have got the cross head screws with fibre washers and have played about with the tighten up sequence with no luck.have ordered another gasket from another source(to see if it is thicker)if not i will try making a thicker gasket.

AdrianS
Harlaston Staffs
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 73
February 6, 2019 - 6:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think Rex sells a standard chaincase gasket but also a thick ( greenish colour) gasket. That's the one I used and I smeared with blue hermatite and have no leaks. The problem with using threebond is that it a bit of a barsteward to remove and I have had trouble separating cases sealed with threebond. 

I would do as has been suggested and put the bike on its side and have another look inside at the clutch compartment and check all is ok. There should be no binding at all irrespective of what gasket is used if all is OK. I would especially look at the return spring and the disc behind it.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: Jon
11 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3208

bart: 3139

cocorico: 2927

Sprung Chicken: 2650