A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Centre plug head on D14
carpetralph
Pontefract
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 118
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 7, 2019 - 6:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

mike p5xbx said 

and a Triumph TR2/3 as well smile  

You know your cars. It is a 61 TR3a. I have too many projects and not enough time.

sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1300
October 7, 2019 - 9:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

hi  Ralph    youv  a  grate  workshop    just  pinching    &  sizing    the  carb  the  carb  in  a vice     can  bring  it  back  at its  faces       anyway   very  well  done    nice   to  see  your   project   

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1586
October 7, 2019 - 5:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

carpetralph said

mike p5xbx said 

and a Triumph TR2/3 as well smile  

You know your cars. It is a 61 TR3a. I have too many projects and not enough time.  

good luck with the TR3a restoration
I had a TR2 in the 70s for 3 weeks
gearbox broke and it went to the breakers
followed by a 1951 VW Van that broke its crankshaft after two months
I had much better luck with motorbikes during that time

D? - D10- D14 Bantams 350 AJS -500 Triumph http://bsanotru.....lfire.com/

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 497
October 7, 2019 - 9:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Regarding the o ring as long as its proud of the mating surface.If it's nice and flat all the better surely as long as it's not crushed too far?

What's 7/16 in mm again?

carpetralph
Pontefract
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 118
October 8, 2019 - 6:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

SpacedMarine said
Regarding the o ring as long as its proud of the mating surface.If it's nice and flat all the better surely as long as it's not crushed too far?  

I have put the O ring back in, a new one that I got with the overhaul kit, and now that the flange is flat it should be doing its job. I am fairly sure though that with the distortion I had before it was not nipping up in the centre. Some carbs had a much fatter O ring fitted, and there was a new one of those in the kit too, about 4mm diameter rubber, so I assume there was a mod by amal at some point.

Sponge
Lancashire (A chip shop somewhere near Preston)
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 140
October 10, 2019 - 11:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It is my recollection that the standard D14 engine did need a fair handful of revs to get it launched.   

Just to be clear about the tufnol spacer .....it is my understanding that the correct fitment is to have the paper / composite gasket in between the barrel and the tufnol spacer, then the carb (with its O ring) seals up against the tufnol spacer. No gasket is required between the tufnol spacer and the carb flange. 

Ref fitting a centre plug head to a D14/4.........catalogue specs do not bear this out so officially it never happened.  The B175 model that followed the D14/4 was fitted with a centre plug head.   However ..... I have heard (from a knowledgable source ) that at the end of the D14/4 production run some B175 spec engines were fitted to the remaining late model D14/4 chassis to use up the old stock.  These oddballs had the centre plug head etc. They were still stamped D14.  I have never seen it myself, so I cannot say it is true but somebody out there might be able to validate or discredit this rumour. Any thoughts ?    

Once you get your D14/4 engine settled down, all the pain will be worth it. 

Sponge  

Peterg
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1178
October 10, 2019 - 12:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ref fitting a centre plug head to a D14/4.........catalogue specs do not bear this out so officially it never happened. The B175 model that followed the D14/4 was fitted with a centre plug head. However ..... I have heard (from a knowledgable source ) that at the end of the D14/4 production run some B175 spec engines were fitted to the remaining late model D14/4 chassis to use up the old stock. These oddballs had the centre plug head etc. They were still stamped D14. I have never seen it myself, so I cannot say it is true but somebody out there might be able to validate or discredit this rumour. Any thoughts ?

If so some of the last D14's in the dispatch books would either be listed with B175 engines or a suffix to the D14 engine to identify them.

Sponge
Lancashire (A chip shop somewhere near Preston)
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 140
October 10, 2019 - 2:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Exactly - as I have said - I am not sure how true it is - having never seen it I cannot say either way.  

I remember purchasing a brand new, unused (NOS) centre plug B175 head, still in a BSA box, for my D10A in 1975 from Jack Bottomleys in Salford.   The price was £12 - a lot of money in those days.  I still have it.  Somebody (git) stole my D10 cylinder head outside the University of Manchester so I had to walk to JBs to get a new head, a gasket and some nuts and washers and a spark plug.  The only 175cc bantam head in stock that day was a B175.  JB said 'slap that on .....you won't be able to tell the difference son', he was right ....the B175 head didn't make any discernable difference to the D10A but I ran it happily with that head on for several years with no trouble except a strange scrapey rattle.   Some time later I discovered that the rattle was the original cylinder head nuts and washers that the thief had, thoughtfully and very kindly, put into my petrol tank.  I could have saved myself a £1.  

In those days, before CCTV, it was not uncommon to come back to your bike and find some git had nicked bits off it.  We used to lock them to the  railings under the railway arches with a big chain around the frame downtube but that did not stop thieves from stealing parts to order.  Usually mirrors, levers and cables, bantam filler caps etc....  but a friend of mine had the carb pinched off his B31 and some jealous (B~#@$^d) took a dump on the seat of my friends shiney Norton Dominator.  Some evil git even stole the headlamp and tail-light bulbs from my girlfriend's D1 and half replaced the lenses.  Students were considered fair game in those days.  

Happy days

Sponge

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3046
October 10, 2019 - 2:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

CCTV makes no difference, especially is someone has 'diplomatic immunity'...

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn, 6 runners (when I get time!) and a still in progress Morini 250

swalsh58
St. Mary's Bay, Kent
Club Dating Officer
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1300
October 10, 2019 - 5:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Peterg said
 However ..... I have heard (from a knowledgable source ) that at the end of the D14/4 production run some B175 spec engines were fitted to the remaining late model D14/4 chassis to use up the old stock. These oddballs had the centre plug head etc. They were still stamped D14. I have never seen it myself, so I cannot say it is true but somebody out there might be able to validate or discredit this rumour. Any thoughts ?

If so some of the last D14's in the dispatch books would either be listed with B175 engines or a suffix to the D14 engine to identify them.  

I have looked through the last of the D14 records and there is nothing in them to show they were fitted with anything other than a D14 engine. However, right at the front of the B175 records there are a few machines listed separately. they are listed under stocktaking July 31st 1970. There are around 15 listed, some B175 and some D14. There would seem to be 4 of the d14's that could have been given B175 engines and the numbers did not match the frames. So it is possible, though very unlikely that you could come across a D14 that has a B175 engine in it from new.

Current bikes......1958 D5, a 77 Suzuki GT250 and a 77 Honda CB125S. I have a B175 in the workshop and a 76 Honda C90 waiting its turn. A 1980 Honda CB400N waiting for MOT.  Everyday ride is a 2011 Harley Davidson Sportster. 

Piquet
West Norfolk
Admin
Forum Posts: 2318
October 10, 2019 - 5:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've also heard that some late D14's were fitted with the larger diameter B175 type kick start, shaft and outer case. It could just be a possibility that BSA, having already started to manufacture B175 parts used the later type items to complete any D14's not yet shipped.

I'm not a complete idiot ............................................ some parts are missing.

stubaker58
Sunny Felixstowe
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 360
October 11, 2019 - 1:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Have a look on EBay, there’s a d14 engined bike for sale in Wigan, centre plug head and heavyweight forks!

one of the four?

(when I say bike there are a few bits missing!)

D7/14 hybrid (4 speed with D7 crank etc.) on the road, D10 Bushman awaiting rebuilding.

Bee175
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 448
October 11, 2019 - 1:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

stubaker58 said
Have a look on EBay, there’s a d14 engined bike for sale in Wigan, centre plug head and heavyweight forks!

one of the four?

(when I say bike there are a few bits missing!)  

Hi Stuart.

More likely just a mix up of parts from 2 different bikes. After all, the blue and red tin work in the picture certainly suggests this could be the case. 

Gary.

BSA Bantam B175 1971 and BSA C15 1966

stubaker58
Sunny Felixstowe
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 360
October 11, 2019 - 2:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m sure you’re right Gary, nice project though.

D7/14 hybrid (4 speed with D7 crank etc.) on the road, D10 Bushman awaiting rebuilding.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
15 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3208

bart: 3136

cocorico: 3046

Sprung Chicken: 2651