A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Can't adjust B175 clutch
Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
Forum Posts: 284
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 14, 2019 - 9:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Where there's a will, there's a way with the pics, Colin! It all looks usable. Could we see the clutch basket? I'd expect a bit of damage related to the wear on your tangs. Now you're tooled-up, you can meddle with it at will.

'52 D1 direct lighting plunger, '58 Square Four (project), '59 D1 direct lighting plunger,  '59 Tiger Cub, '60 5TA,  '76 FS1-E

cpimm
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 48
October 14, 2019 - 11:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

image-2.jpegimage-3.jpegPictures of clutch basket before I got the compressor. I think I'll need to file the burrs out as well as off the steel plate tangs. By the way, does the kick start spring look correctly tensioned? The kick start is really 'lazy' and is not keen on returning to upright without some help! I expected to find the spring had come undone but it looks okay. Is there anyway of putting a bit more tension on the Spring without removing the clutch basket, chain and sprockets? 

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
October 14, 2019 - 11:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

** Please log in to view **

might help

'52 D1 direct lighting plunger, '58 Square Four (project), '59 D1 direct lighting plunger,  '59 Tiger Cub, '60 5TA,  '76 FS1-E

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3125
October 15, 2019 - 8:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

stubaker58 said
... perhaps put back facing the opposite way.  I would think that in their current state they would hinder the clutch action.

Regards  

Good idea, but a new set is not too expensive.

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn, including a Morini 250 now insured and on road testing.

thornebt
Somerset
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 101
October 15, 2019 - 10:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Stoo63 said
** Please log in to view **

might help  

That is a very useful article!  I rebuilt my engine and fitted the kickstart spring but didn't rotate it to tension it.  Consequently I have a very lazy kickstart return - but it will soon be fixed.  Thanks for posting the link to the article Stoo63.  Cheers.  Bruce.

carpetralph
Pontefract
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 124
October 16, 2019 - 7:40 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Colin,  I know you said your primary chain did not have a split link, and I don`t think you will have enough clearance to tension the kick start spring using the method shown without doing something else. You could undo the centre nut holding the clutch basket on and pull the basket off just enough to be able to rotate the kickstart quadrant as described in the article, there will probably be enough side movement in the chain to achieve this, but you will need a tool to hold the splined centre section, ( I have one I made out of an old plate with a piece of bar welded on). It must not be pulled out too far as there are a load of rollers at the back and you don`t want those dropping out, but you should be able to get just enough clearance to rotate the quadrant. Otherwise split the chain and put in a split link for re-assembly. 

cpimm
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 48
October 29, 2019 - 8:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi all,
Just about sorted (hopefully!) Thanks to everyone for help and advice!
After removing the cover and partially freeing clutch off I decided to follow the advice and remove the plates to see what was going on. It was obvious the plates had stuck together after the bike had sat in a leaky lock-up since 1980 as shown in an earlier photo. Cleaned off the driven plates, filed burrs from clutch basket and 'ears' of steel plates then put everything back together with a new primary cover gasket. To my shame I didn't re-tension the kick start spring, as advised, so it still needs a bit of 'help' to return to upright and it's obviously going to be a job to do in the future!

I was going to add some 'ramblings' regarding my first restoration with no previous engineering or real 'mechanicing' background but possibly they belong on the Restorations forum which is where I'll put them (when I get round to it!) Anyway, thanks again to everyone for their advice which has allowed me to do something I've always wanted. 

(I've  put a picture of the bike below. I know it's not perfect and some people would be throwing their hands up in despair at painted wheels, wrong seat, wrong colour etc but I'm very happy!)

Colinimage-5.jpeg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
swalsh58
St. Mary's Bay, Kent
Club Dating Officer
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1338
October 29, 2019 - 9:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It looks fine to me, don’t worry about what others think, it’s running and in good order. Another one rescued from the brink. Well done.

Current bikes......1958 D5, a 77 Suzuki GT250 and a 77 Honda CB125S. I have a B175 in the workshop and a 76 Honda C90 waiting its turn. A 1980 Honda CB400N waiting for MOT.  Everyday ride is a 2011 Harley Davidson Sportster. 

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
October 29, 2019 - 9:47 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looks great, Colin. Good job. Time to get another now that you're on a roll!!laugh

Al the best

Stewart

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3125
October 29, 2019 - 10:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lovely - you can ignore anyone who throws his hands up in despair, as long as you are happy with it.

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn, including a Morini 250 now insured and on road testing.

Mick W
Chester/ North Wales Flintshire Border
Forum Posts: 882
October 29, 2019 - 3:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looks absolutely fine as it is. Another one on the road. 
Mick

carpetralph
Pontefract
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 124
October 30, 2019 - 6:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That looks great Colin. Nothing wrong with painted wheels and less polishing. Having seen the photos of how it was when you found it it is an amazing transformation. Roll on the decent weather next spring so you can start using it.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: mrsemimoist
9 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3208

bart: 3135

cocorico: 3125

Sprung Chicken: 2651