A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
B175 side stands
Acrhodes
Oxford
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 11
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 1, 2020 - 5:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have just noticed an advert for a side stand for the B175 and D14 models in the latest (March) issue of Bantam Banter (page 25). The part no. given would indicate this stand goes on the right hand side of the bike. My parts list indicates there are special engine mounting bolts if you have a side stand. Has anyone any experience of these and where do they fit? Are they straightforward to fit? I've read they go on the front engine mounting bolts, but this does seem very far forward.

Sponge
Lancashire (A chip shop somewhere near Preston)
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 271
April 1, 2020 - 6:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Achrodes, 

The factory side stand for the B175 and D14/4 does indeed fit to the front engine mounting. You need longer bolts to get it to fit ( about 3/8 inch I think).   

Two versions were made - the UK side stand which grows out of the left N/S of the bike and the US side stand which was originally shipped as standard fitment on the Trail Bronc models and grows out of the right O/S of the bike and gets stuck under the exhaust pipe. 

These stands are OK and easy to use but until you learn their foibles the bike can roll off them when it is parked up.  Be aware.   Also the side stand, when fitted, can obscure the frame number on the front engine mount and on a couple of occasions I have had to remove it to get past am anal MoT tester. 

I suppose you could fit one to any Bantam model as the front engine mountings are all similar.  Has anybody tried one on a D1 ?

Hope this clears it up for you

Sponge         

not henpecked
Near J 11 of M42
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 273
April 1, 2020 - 9:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Achrodes, & Sponge

I have a genuine side stand on my B175 which is fitted to the front engine mount location. My only comment is that my side stand has a loop on the bottom which I think is take into account the slightly longer heavy weight forks fitted to the B175. The one shown in the "Banter" hasn't got the loop. So all be aware before you buy.

As a mater of interest I do have to be watch where I use it since I nearly once had it fall over when on a slope - very nasty - and could have been expensive!

B175, on the road. Honda XBR 500, and ....... Suzuki Burgman 200 scoot! Nicknamed "The hair dryer" - by me I hasten to add; & great storage under the seat when you get to your destination.

Acrhodes
Oxford
Second Gear User
Club Member
April 2, 2020 - 9:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you both, really helpful as usual. 

When I bought the bike last year it already had a home made side stand, made and fitted by the previous owner. He had bolted it onto the near side plate that holds the rear foot rest and brake pivot. It seemed a good place for it to be, but unfortunately it was not quite strong enough and started bending.

I will take note of your warnings and have a think about it!

BantamBaz
Reading Berkshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 78
April 2, 2020 - 9:45 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Morning,

Have a look a previous posts re. side stands. A lot of people, including me, modify & fit a Kawasaki one.

Baz

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
Forum Posts: 850
April 2, 2020 - 10:08 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi AC, lots of chat about stands ** Please log in to view **

HTH

Stewart

'52 D1 direct lighting plunger; '58 Square Four (project); '55 D3 Battery; '59 D1 direct lighting plunger;  '59 Tiger Cub; '60 5TA;  '76 FS1-E '97 Honda Sky SGX50.

AdrianS
Harlaston Staffs
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 145
April 2, 2020 - 10:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

+1 for the Kawasaki side stand; cheap(ish) to buy second hand, easy to modify and fit, very stable in use.

You do have to drill a couple of holes into the left footrest plate. If you don't want to do that, you can easily get a replacement plate made up out of some steel and keep the original to refit at a later date if necessary! Very pleased with my conversion ( see the recent posts about side stands).

Peterg
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1195
April 3, 2020 - 11:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Having one on my B175 I can say they are truely awful.

They are too short so the bike will topple over in most circumstances and they are in the wrong place. All the weight is behind which increases the leverage on the mounting point.

Locating a stand on the rear foot rest plate is by far the best solution. Fitted one on another B175 and it works so much better.

cpimm
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 51
April 4, 2020 - 11:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Have to agree with everyone who says fit one to the left rear footrest plate. I used one from a Kawasaki ZX 600 which I got from eBay for a tenner! You just need to clamp it to the footrest plate with a ‘G’ clamp and make sure you’ve got the right ‘lean’ on the bike then drill straight through, couple of bolts and ‘Bob’s yer uncle’ as they say. (Also, make sure the stand faces forward rather than straight down when in use otherwise a nudge from the back could push the bike off the stand.) I find it particularly useful at home when I move the bike around - much easier on me and the bike not having to constantly haul it back onto the centre stand!71E5269C-1737-4DCE-8289-8CE2F972B727.jpeg

Acrhodes
Oxford
Second Gear User
Club Member
April 10, 2020 - 12:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for all this. I must say a stand fitted to the rear foot rest plate makes a lot of sense just looking at where the central of gravity of the bike must be. I'll go hunting for a Kawasaki one.

Acrhodes
Oxford
Second Gear User
Club Member
April 27, 2020 - 12:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've sourced what I am assured is a Kawasaki ZX600 side stand and have set about modifying it. Having looked at some of the posted images of these stands on Bantams it certainly look visually similar but mine seems a bit shorter perhaps.

Could anyone who has one of these stands successfully fitted tell me the length of the strut, say from the pivot point to its heel?

Thanks.

noddy-hol
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 125
April 27, 2020 - 4:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi..I had one for my b175 but had to make a drop plate so it does'nt lean too far....have a look at a tread called 'stand by me' some good pics there...** Please log in to view **

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1719
April 27, 2020 - 5:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Acrhodes said
Could anyone who has one of these stands successfully fitted tell me the length of the strut, say from the pivot point to its heel?
Thanks.  

there are two different lengths of the ZX600 stand
dont know what year they changed one has a more pointed foot then the other
which is only just over an inch longer then the one with a more rounded foot

Kwick2.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

D? - D10- D14 Bantams 350 AJS -500 Triumph http://bsanotru.....lfire.com/

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: Unitminor, Gary S, Stephen
15 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page: