A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
B175 gaiter quality problems
cpimm
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 48
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 1, 2019 - 6:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

image-2.jpgAnyone else had issues with these? Just about finished restoration of bike but I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked closely at the new gaiters! 

Bought them new in May from a well known supplier of British bike bits and they looked absolutely new when I fitted them. They now look to have 'perished' over the last few months. The bike has just been sat in my garage as it's been rebuilt. The gaiters haven't been subjected to any heat or cold or any chemicals or other agents nor have they been stretched or compressed in any way. I can only put it down to poor quality of the material which has degraded unless anyone has any other ideas!?

Annoyingly it's not just the prospect of having to buy more but the hassle of fitting them. Removing the fork legs to change the original split gaiters was a steep learning curve for me! I guess these new ones might last a while before they split through but I'm very happy at the prospect of having to do it again so soon! image.jpgimage-1.jpg Grrrrrr!

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
swalsh58
St. Mary's Bay, Kent
Club Dating Officer
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1377
November 1, 2019 - 6:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I squeezed mine on without stripping the fork. Wheel out, mudguard off and mudguard brackets off the fork leg. Warm the gaiter with a heat gun and slide it on up. It’s tight, but it is eminently doable. 

Current bikes......1958 D5, a 77 Suzuki GT250 and a 77 Honda CB125S. I have a B175 in the workshop and a 76 Honda C90 waiting its turn. A 1980 Honda CB400N waiting for MOT.  Everyday ride is a 2011 Harley Davidson Sportster. 

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 554
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
November 1, 2019 - 8:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Try putting some silicone on them.Tyre shine or something. Wont get rid of the cracking but should soften them up a bit and stop them getting worse.Worked miracles on an old mx5 I used to have.Used to need wellies when it rained after cleaning all the door seals up and spraying them came up like new.Just dont get it on the paint as I believe if you want to respray it the paint wont stick.Just what someone with more knowledge than me said 👍🏼

What's 7/16 in mm again?

cpimm
Second Gear User
Club Member
November 2, 2019 - 10:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks. Is it just that I've bought 'bad' ones or has anyone else had this problem? 

swalsh58
St. Mary's Bay, Kent
Club Dating Officer
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1377
November 3, 2019 - 8:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The lower leg gaiters on my D5 are like this and they aren’t very old, perhaps 3 or 4 years.  Perhaps they were in storage for a long time even before I bought them, I don’t know why really. They still do the job though, and it’s only if you look really closely that you can see it.

Current bikes......1958 D5, a 77 Suzuki GT250 and a 77 Honda CB125S. I have a B175 in the workshop and a 76 Honda C90 waiting its turn. A 1980 Honda CB400N waiting for MOT.  Everyday ride is a 2011 Harley Davidson Sportster. 

Bee175
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 465
November 7, 2019 - 7:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

cpimm said
Thanks. Is it just that I've bought 'bad' ones or has anyone else had this problem?   

I've had this problem too, only mine were much much worse than yours. Mine totally fell to pieces with huge splits everywhere. This was after 3 months of sitting in a warm dry shed with zero use.

I wish I could remember where I bought my next pair as they have been great for 4 years now. Same price as the crap ones.

I fitted the new ones from the bottom by putting a little grease on the mudguard stay mounting points and sliding them up, just as swalsh58 did. Just take your time feeding them up, a little bit on the back and a little bit on the front.

Sorry I cannot advise where to buy from next time.

Gary.

BSA Bantam B175 1971 and BSA C15 1966

Bee175
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
November 7, 2019 - 8:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just remember my friend also had this exact same problem. He has a pair on now that are at least 9 months old and he will probably know where he got them as he keeps receipts. I will be seeing him (and his Bantam) at the weekend so I will try and find out more for you. 

Also, are they the correct gaiters for the B175. I believe they are different from the D14 and D10 ones, but don't quote me on that.

Gary.

cpimm
Second Gear User
Club Member
November 10, 2019 - 7:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks everyone.

I contacted the supplier and they assure me the gaiters are the correct ones for the B175 and that there was no alternative. They also said that as they weren't expensive, the rubber quality would suffer! To be fair they did offer to send me out a new pair or give a refund but after all the palaver of fitting them I'm not terribly keen on pulling them off and starting again at this point. Also doesn't seem much point in taking a replacement pair as I guess I'd be going out of the frying pan ...........! Guess I'm going to keep them until they come apart and I can't stand it anymore and then trying to track down a good pair.

What about the guy I've heard about called Bantam John? He used to advertise in the Banter but I haven't seen any mention of him for a while. Does he keep good quality stuff? He doesn't seem to have a web site from what I can see.

To be honest I'm a bit fed up with the quality of some replacement parts which are labelled with the original part numbers giving the impression somehow they are of the same specification and quality. As well as the gaiters I bought a brake light switch which was nothing like the original and also some gaskets which were about the thickness of paper! As a result I now have a primary cover oil leak where I didn't have one before!

Bee175
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
November 10, 2019 - 8:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Go to "product service reviews" before dealing with Bantam John. I'm not saying his stuff isn't any good, but many people on here have had difficult transactions with him.

Replacement parts are generally poor quality. This is mostly down to everyone wanting everything on the cheap for the last 50 years.......me included unfortunately. It is very difficult to find quality parts, and frankly I have given up looking. I just know that every time I order anything that there is a high chance that it will not fit, doesn't work, leaks or needs modifying to work. The spares issue is the same with all British bikes.

On a positive note, I bought a petrol tap plunger with cork recently and it worked immediately and looks and feels well made👍

Personally I would have accepted the offer of replacement gaitors and kept them in a dark place until needed. Not because I'm a tight git or a grabber, but because you were originally sold rubbish gaitors. I am still trying to find out where my friend got his latest pair. When I find out I'll let you know as they seem to be ok so far. Fitting new ones is not too bad if you follow the advice on here and put them on from the bottom.

Gary.

cpimm
Second Gear User
Club Member
November 11, 2019 - 11:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mmmmm. I'd heard of Bantam John but after reading the 'Product Service Reviews' I think I'll keep searching in my quest for another pair of good quality gaiters!! If anyone can find out/remember the supplier of any good quality ones please let me know. 

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Site Member
November 12, 2019 - 11:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Have you tried  a bit of silicone?As I say it wont fix the cracks but it will certainly soften the rubber up and make them last longer.

20191112_111114.jpg

This kind of stuff.Not necessarily turtle wax but just so you have an idea what I'm talking about.

Dont plaster it on just put some on a cloth and rub it in.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

What's 7/16 in mm again?

Bee175
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
November 12, 2019 - 11:14 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

SpacedMarine said
Have you tried  a bit of silicone?As I say it wont fix the cracks but it will certainly soften the rubber up and make them last longer.  

A friend of mine uses ArmorAll. I think that is silicone based as well. 

He used it on my seat once. Big mistake. First time on the brakes and I slid up onto the fuel tank. An unpleasant experience. 

So my lesson from that was to never use anything slippery like silicon on seats or controls.

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Site Member
November 12, 2019 - 11:20 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bee175 said

A friend of mine uses ArmorAll. I think that is silicone based as well. 

He used it on my seat once. Big mistake. First time on the brakes and I slid up onto the fuel tank. An unpleasant experience. 

So my lesson from that was to never use anything slippery like silicon on seats or controls.  

Hahaha 🤣 nut buster!Should be ok on the gaiters though not like you're holding onto them 👍🏼

What's 7/16 in mm again?

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1966
November 12, 2019 - 3:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mine have been on my bike at least 4 years in my ownership....and prob 6 years in the last owners...no help I know as I dont know were they came from...all I know is the PO fitted them.

Dont count Bantam John out...believe he has some good stuff...just dont expect to be charmed by him if you contact him.

Dont think he is a patient guy....but would not do if we were all the same.

My Bantam video              https://www.you.....jpOFmzRZRI

Mick W
Chester/ North Wales Flintshire Border
Forum Posts: 911
November 12, 2019 - 5:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I agree with Nick, if Bantam John has the items they are probably of good quality. However, he used to have a minimum £25.00 for phone orders. 

Mick

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: SpacedMarine, Col
9 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3208

cocorico: 3177

bart: 3135