A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
B175 Flamboyant Blue Candy metalic paint
not henpecked
Near J 11 of M42
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 273
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 8, 2016 - 7:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi All

Does anybody know what the nearest colour match to Flamboyant Blue Candy metalic paint used on the 1969 B175's might be? From what I read some time back I believe it was a Renault car colour, but I've forgotten where to look...!

B175, on the road. Honda XBR 500, and ....... Suzuki Burgman 200 scoot! Nicknamed "The hair dryer" - by me I hasten to add; & great storage under the seat when you get to your destination.

Sprung Chicken
Glasgow,Scotland
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 2653
April 8, 2016 - 8:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I done some side panels in Ford Azure Blue Metallic and it is close.

Here is a picture with one already done and compare it to the mudguards which is the original paint.

Dougie;Glasgow ;Scotland.
1955 D1, 1970 B175

not henpecked
Near J 11 of M42
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 8, 2016 - 9:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Sprung Chicken

Thanks for the info. From the condition of my B175 I think it has been resprayed but how close to the original colour I don't know so, hence the question.

If anybody else knows of another close match it would be much appreciated so when I go and darken Halfords doorstep at least I wont have to waste time going through their colour swatches.

B175, on the road. Honda XBR 500, and ....... Suzuki Burgman 200 scoot! Nicknamed "The hair dryer" - by me I hasten to add; & great storage under the seat when you get to your destination.

potbank
STAFFORDSHIRE
Club Treasurer
Committee
Forum Posts: 177
April 8, 2016 - 11:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi , I have an original 69' B175 (blue) and the closest  match that I could find was on a Peugeot 406 (51 plate) , it was a very close match - I took the tank in to work and compared it to the car which was on the works' car park ! . It is a different colour than the D14 which I believe is a blue lacquer over a silver base coat , whilst the B175 blue looks more like a plain metallic finish . I'm afraid that I don't have a paint code but any good automotive paint supplier will have a set of paint chips.

mike. 

iwasere
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 103
April 9, 2016 - 5:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Most auto body-shops will match paint exactly for you and they’re good at it, not too difficult to find some original paint finish to match to under mudguards or inside side panels are good places. That’s what I did.

not henpecked
Near J 11 of M42
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 9, 2016 - 6:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Mike

Thanks for the information. It now gives me 2 colours to look at when I go to Halfords.

Why them? I bought some metalic paint from them for my scooter front mudguard (don't spit), after some toerag backed into it and drove off....! It required laquer coats to finish off and besides a slight shade difference to the original paintwork it's OK. Also, their paint is cheaper than than RS quantity to quantity.

Fun times ahead methinks which is a better than heavy digging in the garden what I have been doing today - But it keeps the other half sweet!

Sprung Chicken
Glasgow,Scotland
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 2653
April 9, 2016 - 9:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

At a show a while back, I enquired about paint to do a front mudguard on my cruiser. I was going to do it myself, so it was to be rattle cans.

Apparently, I needed primer, base coat, top colour and lacquer and would have cost me nearly £130! Needless to say I didn't bother!

Dougie;Glasgow ;Scotland.
1955 D1, 1970 B175

Jimmy Mcilveen
Guests
April 11, 2016 - 11:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

D14-3-1.jpgD14-5.jpgD14-1.jpgD14-2.jpg

Hi.

M.G Trophy Blue is a very close match I have my D 14/4 done in this colour. When I take it to shows everyone want's to know what colour it is. It really stands out.

Jimmy.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Al
Guests
April 12, 2016 - 11:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm not sure if you have already tried RS bike paint web site? They have the original colour available. I looked it up as I will eventually need some when I start to restore my 1968 bike.

Alan

not henpecked
Near J 11 of M42
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 12, 2016 - 7:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Jimmy & Alan

Thanks for the information. I have looked on the RS paints website and noticed that their prices are high. As stated before I will pop into my local Halfords and look at the suggested paint colours everybody has made.

I'm in the process of the final prepaint build to make sure all items fit well before stripping and painting - Bantams are such fun!

Don

dnmalc
Second Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 8
April 11, 2020 - 6:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

While the site has a lot of discussion about the Flamboyant / candy apple blue the question I have is is there anything special about the silver base coat or will any metallic silver suffice.

Thanks 

Sponge
Lancashire (A chip shop somewhere near Preston)
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 271
April 12, 2020 - 5:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The correct listing for the B175 is Poychromatic Aircraft Blue. 

On the D14 it was listed as Flamboyant Aircraft Blue - slightly darker -  Try Honda 7006M 

dnmalc
Second Gear User
Site Member
April 16, 2020 - 9:53 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for that but I am not sure it answer the question about whether there is anything special about the base coat which if I understand Candy colours correctly are translucent and for the flamboyant  blue there should be a metallic silver base layer.  

Or are people saying that with the Peugeot and Honda paints they are not translucent and hence I do not need a silver base coat?

Sponge
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 17, 2020 - 11:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I refer you to BSA service sheet no 44/71 dated December 1971 - All models - 'Aerosol Paints Colour Finishes'

Polychromatic: Polychromatic paint is applied straight on to the light grey oxide primer.

Hi-Fi and Flamboyant Colours: Coat the bare metal with a light grey oxide primer.  Spray a silver base coat on all parts to be finished in Hi-Fi or Flamboyant colours. The component is now ready to receive Hi-Fi or Flamboyant laquer. 

Suggest try it out on a spare side panel. 

Advise: don't worry too much about it. Even the colours coming out of the factory were renowned to be variable from day to day.  (depending on which apprentice did the mix in the paint shed or how much beer the painter/finisher had enjoyed in the BSA social club with the canteen girls the night before !!).  I recall standing outside a BSA dealership in South London in 1969 (ish) with my father looking at all the new bikes - (B25s, Bantams, A65s etc etc), they were all slightly different shades of blue and red and orange, but they all looked great in the sunlight.  Having arguments and discussions and even ( in my case ) threats ....over original BSA colours is one of the nice things about the classic bike scene.  

I hope this helps - I cannot really add much more. 

Sponge

dnmalc
Second Gear User
Site Member
April 28, 2020 - 11:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

What a hive of knowledge here thanks. After lots of digging and recognising the variability in the original manufacturers paint 

I have gone with Ford Moondust silver with a Vauxhall Riviera Blue Starfire topcoat which is a good match to the paint left on the tank. Interestingly the Riviera blue was what I painted my Triumph TR6 in about 30 years ago.

Sponge
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 28, 2020 - 4:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well done mate, I am going to make a note of that paint combination and I bet it will look absolutely fantastic on the bike.  Especially when you wheel it out into the sunshine.   Please update us when you have it all ready to show off  🙂

Sponge   

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: sunny, santoy, Col, PeteS, Stephen
11 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3591

Cornish Rooster: 3310

bart: 3125

Blue Heeler: 2703