A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
B175 Amal Set Up.
Mannanan
Leigh On Sea, Essex. Uk.
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 180
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 18, 2020 - 6:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Honest, I have googled it first but can’t find a definitive answer. What was the reason for BSA specifying four stroke parts in the carb for the B175? The D14 I understand was set up with two stroke parts so what was so very different about the B175 that required this somewhat odd change? Do we know of any other two strokes of that era that had four stroke Amal carb internals specified by the manufacturers.? 

Ed.

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 2091
April 18, 2020 - 8:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Cant answer your question...but my B175 when I bought it had a brand new B175 4 stroke spec carb on it with all the correct 4 stroke bits...think there are only 4.

I didn't like the way it ran so after lots of tweaking I converted to carb to D14 full 2 stroke spec....never looked back goes great.

I just did not understand why put 4 stroke bits in a 2 stroke care to go on a 2 stroke engine.

Nick.

My Bantam video              https://www.you.....jpOFmzRZRI

sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1601
April 19, 2020 - 8:20 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

your  ancer   is  as  folows      B S A   also    fited  a  4 strock  carb  to  the  Bantam  D 5 ,7   & some D 10  modles       the  carbs  nedle   is  set  high  at  4th    from  the  top  on  some     carbs        as  a  staring  point        all   sizes &  setings   are  a starting  point  as each motor   runs  or  wears  out  in diferant  parts  &  places     it  taks  up  to  much  mouny    to be  spot on  so  left   the   dificult    stuf   to  us   puters   to  do  the  paying  out  once   we  wer  hocked  

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3593
April 19, 2020 - 9:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As you say, you haven't found a definitive answer, like many questions. Surely if AMAL are supplying them that way, they must have that specification? dunno I think the nearest to definitive is Sunny's opinion - BSA decided it was the way to go - maybe it worked well on a brand new machine fresh from the factory?

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn. 1950 D1 engine now running.

BASIL
Hamstreet,Ashford.
Area Rep
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1015
April 19, 2020 - 11:32 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok here we go again, the carb for a B175 should be an Amal 626/17 it has a fixed pilot jet a 3 and a half throttle slide a 4 stroke needle and jet holder with a 180 main jet and a slash cut jet tube, the only thing I have found is maybe the 180 main jet is a bit too rich and have cut this down to 170 on my B175s. Regards Basil.

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3593
April 19, 2020 - 1:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, Basil has been giving us this information since at least 2014 and I think you can accept his word! I also found the following on 'Tapatalk' from 2012:

"If you look in original BSA parts books and you will see the Amal part numbers for the 4T 107 needle jet and 2 ring needle.
As I own 2 B175s with this set up I asked Wilf Harrisson, latter day BSA export manger he told me this was to crisp up the mid range with bigger main jet to improve mid range acceleration."

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn. 1950 D1 engine now running.

Mannanan
Leigh On Sea, Essex. Uk.
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 180
April 19, 2020 - 2:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yep! My carb is and always has been set up as per the book and Basil is confirming. Not disputing anything that Basil has said, the question was not how but why. That last paragraph Coco is a decent explanation and sounds very plausible. 

Blue Heeler
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2703
April 19, 2020 - 2:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Don`t forget that the previous D14 model, of which I have a brace, is a bit peaky/over-tuned for a basic Bantam engine. High compression ratio with a pretty carp combustion shape, angled spark plug & not very meaty `head. Surprised it goes as well as it does.

From Bob`s find, it seems that when they built the detuned B175 motor, it was a little gutless, so they had to patch things up?

As Sunny points out, the Monobloc 375s on the earlier 175s are 4-stroke carbs.

How about after the quarantine, booking one of Lincolnshire`s many RAF runways so Basil, Nick & other B175 owners can line up for an acceleration comparison 🙂 Oh hang on, I haven`t thought that through, some have big-bore engines.

What`s the weight difference between a standard B175 piston & a big-bore 185cc one? I`m guessing they`re the same, to retain balance.

Blue

Sponge
Lancashire (A chip shop somewhere near Preston)
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 272
April 20, 2020 - 10:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I like the idea of booking a runway to do some fine tuning. I have several bikes that need a good fettling. Plug chopping, stop start, brake burnishing, running in, acceleration tests etc........ its difficult to do on modern roads.  Keep me in the loop for that one please. 

Perhaps a club day out ?

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 20, 2020 - 12:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Sponge hope your well mate.

Question...whats brake burnishing....sounds interesting.

Nick.

Sponge
Lancashire (A chip shop somewhere near Preston)
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 272
April 20, 2020 - 1:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Mate, hows it going ?

BSA terminology for bedding in your brakes. Reference BSA service sheet 8/71 BRAKE BURNISHING. ( aimed at unit singles but equally relevant to all models quotes " brakes should be bedded in progressively over the first 300 miles. This is done by gradually increasing brake lever pressure during the period, and braking from progressively increasing speeds." 

Each application at 1/4 mile intervals etc

It goes on to state " correct burnishing will give an approximate minimum lining contact area of 50% which qualifies the published brake performance figures"

Obviously not recommended on modern roads but really useful on a track/runway

Sponge

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 20, 2020 - 2:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Interesting thanks sponge...I will send you a PM.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: ZZ, BonesCDI, SuperSun64
16 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3593

Cornish Rooster: 3310

bart: 3125

Blue Heeler: 2703