A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Another 12 volt thread!!!
BantamBaz
Reading Berkshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 112
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 25, 2020 - 2:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good afternoon,

I've been reading this & a lot of other posts on 12 volt conversions.

I've just fired up my B175 engined D14 after a bit of rebuilding & rewire. With a DMM attached across the battery I get a 14.5+ reading.

My anolog meter is hiding in France at the moment.

Being used to cars rather than bikes I'm used to a max of around 14.2 volts.

My worry is that I could cook the battery.

I've wired it with the help of Lone Wolf's diagram & am using an eBay reg/rect. The battery is a 7ah gel type usually used as safety lighting back up.

Should I be worried about the voltage, or should I be looking at spending more cash with Rex ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Barrie.

Lone Wolf
The Black Country
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1316
May 25, 2020 - 7:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

BantamBaz said
Good afternoon,

I've been reading this & a lot of other posts on 12 volt conversions.

I've just fired up my B175 engined D14 after a bit of rebuilding & rewire. With a DMM attached across the battery I get a 14.5+ reading.

My anolog meter is hiding in France at the moment.

Being used to cars rather than bikes I'm used to a max of around 14.2 volts.

My worry is that I could cook the battery.

I've wired it with the help of Lone Wolf's diagram & am using an eBay reg/rect. The battery is a 7ah gel type usually used as safety lighting back up.

Should I be worried about the voltage, or should I be looking at spending more cash with Rex ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Barrie.  

Wotcha.

Anything going above around 15 volts is not good, especially if the battery is fully charged.

I had the reg/rec on my Enfield fail last year - was going over 16v.  It had been fine for quite a few years, and yes, it was an eBay cheap one.

I bought a decent one, funnily enough from Rex, and that's fine.  My speedo on the Enfield also has a fairly accurate volt meter built into it, and as you say, 14.2 is the magic figure.  In true 5od's Law fashion, I was out on the Enfield today and noticed the ammeter had dropped below zero and the voltage was down to 11.7  Turned out one of my alternator wires had worked loose in its socket, so that was an easy fix.

In short - spend around £35 and fit a decent reg/rec.  It's worth it in the long run.

EDIT - oh come on - . . . .  The phrase was "5ods Law"   As they say FFS. 

EDIT THE EDIT - Even more bits missing now - I know, I'll edit the original post.

^..^

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
Forum Posts: 1082
May 25, 2020 - 9:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wolf, It's inbuilt into the system. Nowt can be done about it, I'm afraid. This cropped up the other week when discussing fuel lines and the system allowed the word petcock but steadfastly refused pet c*ck (my asterisk) Bonkers!

'55 D3 Battery; '58 Square Four (project); '59 D1 direct lighting plunger; '59 Tiger Cub; '60 5TA;  '76 FS1-E; '91 GTR 1000;  '97 Honda Sky SGX50.

BantamBaz
Reading Berkshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
May 25, 2020 - 10:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Wolf, I'll dig deep in the coffers.

Is there any difference in way of connections from the alternator to the reg, ie. where the connected twin wires or the single wire connects. If they were opposed would it have any effect on charge ?

Thanks

Barrie.

Lone Wolf
The Black Country
Top Gear User
Club Member
May 26, 2020 - 9:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

BantamBaz said

Is there any difference in way of connections from the alternator to the reg, ie. where the connected twin wires or the single wire connects. If they were opposed would it have any effect on charge ?

Thanks

Barrie.  

Wotcha.

In a word - yes.

With Wipac alternators the green is the common wire to all six coils.

When you join the orange and yellow together it gives maximum output, which is what you want for a 12v conversion.

Originally the light switch would bring extra coils in, and the "E" position would bring all six into play - that was the only way they could regulate the voltage in those days.  The Zener diode was the next thing to be invented, and that worked well, but didn't regulate the current allowed into the battery.  These days we have regulator/rectifiers which do both - ain't technology wonderful ?

EDIT

I knew I'd got it somewhere - - - -

^..^

BantamBaz
Reading Berkshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
May 27, 2020 - 11:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Wolf.

So with the orange & yellow joined does it matter which of the wires to the new 4 wire reg/rect they are connected?

Barrie.

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 720
May 27, 2020 - 12:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well I've bitten the bullet and bought the Lucas rec/reg.I was thinking about the capacitor idea but I have a nice new battery so in for a penny in for a pound.Thanks lone wolf for your post.I was assuming the Lucas and wipac alternator were pretty much interchangeable they look identical.I double checked with the seller that it was compatible with the wipac alternator and he confirmed it so I'll let you know how I get on.Proba ly put it in my resto thread.

What's 7/16 in mm again?

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3309
May 27, 2020 - 2:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good luck with it. I know it has the Lucas name on it, together with "Trust Lucas" on the nice, green box - but the trade mark has passed to several different companies, so I hope it is a good one.

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 720
May 27, 2020 - 2:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

cocorico said
Good luck with it. I know it has the Lucas name on it, together with "Trust Lucas" on the nice, green bow - but the trade mark has passed to several different companies, so I hope it is a good one.  

I know where you're coming from in that regard.The one that blew should have been a good one but here I am.Once bitten an all that.

What's 7/16 in mm again?

Lone Wolf
The Black Country
Top Gear User
Club Member
May 28, 2020 - 8:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

BantamBaz said
Thanks Wolf.

So with the orange & yellow joined does it matter which of the wires to the new 4 wire reg/rect they are connected?

Barrie.  

Wotcha.

With the two wires connected, just treat it as a two wire alternator.  Doesn't matter which ac wire they connect to on the reg/rec - they are normally two yellow wires. ( or two wires of the same colour )

^..^

BantamBaz
Reading Berkshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
May 29, 2020 - 10:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks again Wolf.

DGBland
Second Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 24
June 11, 2020 - 4:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have just converted my B175 to 12 volt and only used a 4 amp battery and it works fine. The issue I had was a break in a wire from one coil on the alternator. A little soldering job and it works great. I even have LED indicators and can ride with the lights on and the battery still keeps up with the demand. I am now looking for LED bulbs front and back. I did buy a good quality regulator/rectifier though

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3309

Cornish Rooster: 3109

bart: 2685

Blue Heeler: 2543

David Dale: 2346