A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1968 D14 won’t start
Lincoln4
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 9
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 7, 2021 - 5:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi All I have a d14 which on the kickstart will not start, engine rebuild with new seals,bearings, Replaced big end and small end, new carb,points, condenser, plug , retimed, only start when bumped by my mate but at 75 not for me so where do I go from here, getting very frustrated hopefully someone can help

Thanks

Sponge
Lancashire (A chip shop somewhere near Preston)
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 605
June 7, 2021 - 7:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Is this your first D14 and did you re build it ??

How does it run when it is bumped up.....dies it start ok when it is earmed up ??

A D14 should start easily off the kickstart so something is not quite right. 

Sorrg for all the bone questions but the only way to get to the bottom of it is to request information. 

not henpecked
Near Junction 11 of M42 Leicestershire
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 277
June 7, 2021 - 7:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Lincoln4

I have a B175 which I rebuilt like you and I found it was difficult to start. Also, when it was running the performance at the lower end of the rev range was not as brisk I would have expected.

Hmm - thinks it's a two stroke - must work on my starting technique.... This is how I start the engine.......

Fuel on - tickle carb - choke on - half throttle - ignition off - kick the engine over 3 times.

Tickle carb again - choke on - half throttle - ignition off - kick engine over 3 times again.

Ignition on and first or second kick it starts.

As for sluggish performance at the low end of the rev range I found the air screw was 1-1/2 turns out. Adjusting both the air and tickover screws for best performance and tickover, the air screw is now 1/4 turn open

The carb is a new Amal from Burlen

Hope this helps

B175, on the road. Honda XBR 500, and ....... Suzuki Burgman 200 scoot! Nicknamed "The hair dryer" - by me I hasten to add; & great storage under the seat when you get to your destination.

stubaker58
Sunny Felixstowe
Area Rep
Club Member
Forum Posts: 642
June 7, 2021 - 8:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi,

Assuming you have a spark and that fuel is reaching the plug then the two candidates are the timing, and D14s are sensitive in this area, or the seals.  It’s surprisingly easy to put them in the wrong way round!

Start with the easy things, check the timing is spot on. I’d also check the low tension wire that tracks under the engine as this is easily damaged and can give an erratic contact.

Best of luck!

“There’s nothing new under the sun”.

Lincoln4
Second Gear User
Club Member
June 8, 2021 - 4:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi all, Thanks for your info, engine was rebuild by a friend who has rebuild a few engines before this one including a bantam, good fuel, good spark, new plug, timing was checked at 16.5 before top dead centre, possibly can’t kick it over fast enough to start but grasping at straws, anybody living near Tewkesbury or Upton on Severn who could came and have a look, would be very welcome for the experience and would be a big help

thanks Lincoln

PS. He’s at a loss as to why it won’t start🙄

Hillg
Peterborough
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 31
June 8, 2021 - 6:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello,

When I look back on the occasions when I’ve been struggling to start my Bantam, I’ve usually come to the conclusion that I should have tickled the carburettor more. When I first had one I’d moan to my dad about it being hard to start, and he’d just tell me to stand back, push the tickler down some more, kick it and off it would go.

Certainly after it’s been left a few weeks it seems to take several kicks and follow-up tickles to get enough fuel through to fire up.

I hope that helps,

Graham.

not henpecked
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 8, 2021 - 8:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi again Lincoln

Obviously the enginge has been rebuilt and should be a runner. Have you tried giving it a good flooding with the carb tickler as Hillg and myself have suggested? Remember the fuel has has to go through the crankcase and then enter the cylinder and top end of the engine and this was my mistake at first.

I was to used to starting 4 strokes! Give it a good flooding and please let us know how you get on.

Unfortunately I live near J11 of the M42 so a bit to far to come and help......!

B175, on the road. Honda XBR 500, and ....... Suzuki Burgman 200 scoot! Nicknamed "The hair dryer" - by me I hasten to add; & great storage under the seat when you get to your destination.

Sponge
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 8, 2021 - 10:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Couldn't agree more ref the tickling. You need to press that plunger down until petrol squirts out on your finger. Also....sorry to insult your intelligence but are you absolutely sure how the choke lever works ?

I have found that if thd wring cable is fitted thd choke slide doesn't go all the way to the bottom when it is on. Spring slack. This is worth checking. 

All the Bantams with a concentric carburettor seem to need a good dose of tickle and choke full on to start from cold even then a good few firm kicks to get it running. Once running you can back the choke off quite quickly. From warm it should be a first prod starter every time.

Lone Wolf
The Black Country
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1291
June 8, 2021 - 10:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wotcha.

Like folks have said - give it a good tickle.  Close the choke, making sure the cable is slack.  Give it a couple of kicks without the ignition on, then turn on the ignition and it should start next kick.

If that doesn't do the trick, post back on here and I'll take a ride over and look at it for you . . . I'm only 50 mile up the road, and any excuse to ride is good in my book.

^..^

Lincoln4
Second Gear User
Club Member
June 11, 2021 - 1:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi all lot of good advice so will try and see if I can get it started, thank you Lone Wolf for your very generous offer which I will take up if all else fails

BantamBaz
Reading Berkshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 136
June 11, 2021 - 6:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Others have mentioned the choke use, are you aware that the choke lever works opposite to your thinking.

Choke on has the lever parallel to the handle bars & run position is towards the rider.

BB.

AdrianS
Harlaston Staffs
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 163
June 12, 2021 - 7:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My old girl like a good tickle in the morning!

I completely agree about repeated tickling to get some fuel into the crank cases. I do find as I have said in previous posts that these bikes don’t like standing for a long time without the engine being fired up. Oil separates out of the petrol in the carb and can choke up the main jet area with very oil rich petrol when left standing which can cause difficulty in starting and start with clouds of smoke.

on any 2 stroke engine I have had that won’t start, if I squirt some petrol directly into the head and put the plug back they always fire up as long as there is a spark and the timing is correct.

Lincoln4
Second Gear User
Club Member
June 18, 2021 - 1:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi all, friend of mine came and bumped the D14 down the road because we couldn’t kickstart it he then rode it for a couple of miles and said it went very well, stoped it and had great trouble in start it again, let it cool and wouldn’t start on the kickstart again, did kick back a few times, but not start, if you flood it it might kick back flood again and nothing take plug out and is wet, had reset the timing and is fairly accurate, would moving the timing from 16.5 a little help, but not sure comments would be useful please

Thanks

Sponge
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 18, 2021 - 10:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Make sure the lights are off and try giving it a handful of throttle when trying to start it from warm.

It should start immediately when warm unless your battery is discharged, or low,  which could explain the problems you are having.

If that doesn't work it could be a number of things that will need a careful approach to iliminate. 

Just check with your friend who built the engine which way he fitted the crankcase oil seals?

Sponge
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 19, 2021 - 8:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hollow side facing inwards or hollow side facing outwards ??

dienelt1
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 126
June 19, 2021 - 11:14 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bought a new carb for my b25 engine ,found debris in the pilot circuit causing issues , worth checking.

Diene.

not henpecked
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 19, 2021 - 8:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hmm

You state that once bump started it runs well. Therefore I'm assuming the engine has been assembled correctly but won't start using the kick start. I'm also assuming that when you remove the plug it smells of petrol.

Therefore two things you could consider:-

1. Low battery voltage - when you bump start, the engine spins fast enough to generate sufficient voltage to get a spark at the plug. Kick starting is not fast enough.

2. A poor earth between the engine and battery. Try running a piece of wire from the battery to a bolt on the engine casing.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
19 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3320

Cornish Rooster: 2917

Blue Heeler: 2435

bart: 2428

David Dale: 2144