A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
12 volt conversion completed (i think)
DGBland
Second Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 20
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 29, 2020 - 1:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

During these hard times of Coronavirus I though I would convert the B175 to 12 volt. UP till now it looks promising but I cannot take the bike out to test it out as we are in lockdown.

One little problem. I ran the bike for about 3 or 4 minutes and the coil got very hot. I switched it off and changed the wires round on the the coil and started it again after it cooled down. Fingers crossed it seems ok. It looks as though I might have had the polarity of the coil the wrong way round.

Before I started the bike I took the voltage of the new battery which was 11.8 volts (been playing with the lights) and after running it for a bit it read 12.2 volts so it looks as though the alternator and new regulator rectifier is working properly. So far so good.

The only issue I have left is with the lights on the front. I cannot work out how to have the pilot light come on without the headlight. I am sure I will sort it as it looks like this lockdown will last for a good while yet.

I am using the original switches on the headlamp cowl to operate the lights. Although these are not working properly there are ok to use as a straightforward on off switch. This way it doesn't affect the way the bike looks. I have put a good quality key ignition switch on the frame downtube under the tank. Off a suzuki (sorry)

all being well i might fit some small indicators but I need to know if these will work ok on a 4 amp 12 volt battery. I have been told I can use a lower amp bulb in the indicators and it shoudn't make any difference to the brightness. Is this correct

Can't wait to get it out on the road but circumstances obviously won't allow

David

mikef
Chatham Kent
Club Technical Advisor
Committee
Forum Posts: 975
March 29, 2020 - 3:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi David.
       The ignition coil should not get excessively hot whichever way round it is connected, is it definitely a 12V coil? Probably a silly question but I had to ask.
As for the lights, I think the easiest thing to do is follow the wiring diagram for the lighting switch. As you have done the 12V conversion the orange and yellow wires can be left out in other words leave pins 5 and 6 of the lighting switch un-connected. The rest of the pins can be wired as per the diagram in the D14 manual. The light switch should then work as original intended.
Good luck.
 Mike.

sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1596
March 29, 2020 - 4:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

HT  COILS    GET  HOT    wen  thers   NO    switch   to   wich   the  serket    off    no mater  wich    voltage    

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3588
March 29, 2020 - 4:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The coil will warm up somewhat during a long run, but to get hot implies a path to earth, or at least a low resistance path, to allow the electrons to flow all the time, rather than at 80ish times a second (assuming you run at 5000rpm wink). As Sunny says, you need a switch to isolate when not running (if the points happen to be closed you would get a connection).

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn. 1950 D1 engine now running.

Number6
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 282
March 29, 2020 - 10:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Assuming it's a "normal" 12V ignition coil, then about 3 Ohms resistance, 12 / 3 = 4 Amps, x 12, that will be about 50 Watts so yes bluddy hot, enough to be too hot to touch

Mike H --

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.

Number6
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
March 29, 2020 - 10:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Appendix: to be fair it's only on for half the time when the engne's running, but still. But this is why battery and coil ignition must not be left switched on without engine running (apart from draining the battery, if the points are closed).

Mike H --

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 729
March 30, 2020 - 6:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just out of interest what regulator are you using?

What's 7/16 in mm again?

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3588
March 30, 2020 - 8:03 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Number6 said
...so yes bluddy hot, enough to be too hot to touch  

No, if so there is a fault somewhere.

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn. 1950 D1 engine now running.

Number6
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
March 30, 2020 - 10:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK I'm outa here

Do as you like if you think you know better

Mike H --

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3588

Cornish Rooster: 3310

bart: 3125

Blue Heeler: 2698

Sprung Chicken: 2653