A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Kirkbybil's 1951 D1 Bantam De-Luxe
Kirkbybil
Guests
February 2, 2016 - 7:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Howard, they are cleaned and blowed out (and then clogged with grease as I packed the bearing - and then blown out again) I have squirted WD40 down the holes and it comes through okay.

I'm going to continue the rebuild as is, I can't see anyway that anything could be adjusted to make the collar fit so hopefully it will all go back together okay.

Piquet
West Norfolk
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2324
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 2, 2016 - 8:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I seem to remember reading that the Lucas models were fitted with a heavier design of crank wheels than the Wipac models, the style of which was later adopted for the Wipac models when the D3 was introduced, presumably then incorporating the spacer.

I'm not a complete idiot ............................................ some parts are missing.

Bournemouth Bantams
Guests
February 2, 2016 - 9:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have gone back to the beginning of the thread, Hanz mentioned this at the beginning, apparently it is detailed in the Bantam Bible.

An aside matter is the checking of the bike by a professional person, this was set up by Mike Stevens the person who set up the dating for the club, I took over from him.

The check is only a confirmation of the numbers, not a check for the bike being correct. It is a question we Dating officers have to answer, the DVLA ask us if the bike has been inspected if we can confirm it has then it is less likely then will call for an inspection to be done.

When the DVLA closed all the local offices people lost the ability to get any original paperwork authenticated and copied. The DVLA therefore allowed Dating officers to fulfil this service, we can copy original documentation and authenticate the copies which means we have to see the originals and do the copies, this avoids the need to send originals to the DVLA. Prior to the closure and when Tax discs had crept in as acceptable documentation I had an application where the only proof was one tax disc the DVLA lost it, I always took copies of all documentation so had a copy the DVLA accepted this and the guy was allowed to retain the number.

"H"  

Piquet
West Norfolk
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2324
February 2, 2016 - 11:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here is another Topic that may give some insight into the mysteries of the Lucas model and the lack of collars

** Please log in to view **

I'm not a complete idiot ............................................ some parts are missing.

Bournemouth Bantams
Guests
February 3, 2016 - 9:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I checked all of the Yd engines I have and all of them have the left hand side main bearing recessed by about 6mm so it would appear the Lucas is different from the Wipac engines. The right hand main bearing is flush with the inner face of the cases.

"H"

Kirkbybil
Guests
February 3, 2016 - 10:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My heads hurting! - So I'm correct in thinking that I don't need the collar after all?

Bournemouth Bantams
Guests
February 3, 2016 - 11:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hurting head comes with the territory, part of owning a Bantam, especially when you are trying to put a box of bits back together.

I could not find my Lucas cases to check the bearing position. A lot of my second hand parts are stacked up in plastic boxes in temporary storage and are very difficult to get to, there is around 30 big boxes.

The parts book I have which covers the 48-53 bikes does not show an exploded view of the Lucas engine, the left hand crank case for the Lucas does have a different part number ( 90-0163) to the Wipac (90-0164) where as the right hand has the same number. so it is possible the Lucas engine does not have the spacer.

"H"

Kirkbybil
Guests
February 4, 2016 - 12:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks, I'm going to stuff the toolbox (if I ever find a sensibly priced one) with paracetamol.

On the basis that there is no-where for it to go anyway, I will leave it out and just shim up for end float.

I'll set the timer running and see how long I can last before the next problem!

Bournemouth Bantams
Guests
February 4, 2016 - 1:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

We Bantam owners don't have problems just opportunities, far better way to look at things.

"H" 

Kirkbybil
Guests
March 13, 2016 - 6:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm making good progress on the D1 and D5 engines now (famous last words).  I had fitted the D5 final drive sprocket and was about to fit the D1 one but I realised that there are two of them in my box'o'bits.

Sprockets.JPGThe one on the left has 15 teeth and the one on the right 16 teeth. The D5 has a 16 tooth sprocket but looking at the D1 parts book it seems to have the 15T as standard.

Can anyone confirm that I should use the 15T please?

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Bournemouth Bantams
Guests
March 13, 2016 - 8:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That 15 tooth sprocket looks shot, don't think I would fit that one back on an engine.

The more front teeth the higher the gearing, the front sprocket has a bigger difference, even if it only goes up one tooth. The D1 has a big jump between 2nd and top so although you would get a higher speed out of 2nd the jump to top and the low power output from the 125 engine may cause problems in hilly areas.

Howard

Kirkbybil
Guests
March 14, 2016 - 10:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Howard. So you're saying I need the 15T?

If so, do you have one?

Kirkbybil
Guests
May 22, 2016 - 8:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Due to the fact the D5 is almost finished apart from a few small issues - such as it doesn't want to start, I thought I'd turn my attentions back to the D1 as it's getting to the time of year when I need to take advantage of the weather and paint it.

Due to the fact that the person who sold it to me said "everything is there in the boxes, I've thrown nothing away" yet every time I look for something it seems to be missing, I thought it would be time well spent if I dry built it. I don't want to get it all blasted and spend weeks painting it only to find nothing fits together so it took me about an hour to put it loosely together, balance on the new seat I bought last year and here it is - finished!

D1-RHS.jpg

D1LHS.jpg

D1-Back.jpg

D1-FR.JPG 

All it needs is a quick coat of paint, two tyres, fit the engine and as they say - jobs a good 'un. cool - if only!

Everything seems to fit okay. The new rear mudguard slotted in nicely and even the leg guards I got on eBay seem straightforward though I think I put them on upside down?

It's the first time I've seen it like this and it seems a bit simpler than the D5 which, I suppose, it is. It'll be interesting to see if I can beat the 51 bits to paint that the D5 had.

I'm still missing the battery carrier and strap but I think I have everything else so now I can pull it apart again, strip the forks and wheel hubs and get sandblasting! (Must remember to cover the D5 wink)   

At least I have the engine mostly complete:

D1Engine.jpg

I had to make a couple of studs for the generator to mount on (something else that was supposed to be in the box) so I bought some 1/4 inch round stainless steel, a 1/4"BSF die and hey presto, I'm now an engineer! 

As you can see, I managed to get the gear indicator from someone who bought a job lot on eBay and also a nice pigtail fuel pipe (Cheers Eddie!)

I hope this engine works better than the D5 fingers-crossed

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1492
May 23, 2016 - 5:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

This will go easier than the D5 trust me I'm a Doctor. did you mention gear indicator? I have fitted the part that goes into the engine but am missing the lever/indicator part does your friend have another one for sale ?

I expect the same standard of finish as the D5. and I'm sure it will be, this bantam thing becomes additive I started out with a bitsa and now have five of the things.

You mentioned about doing a lawn mower, I have two Suffolk punch mowers and the old boy next door past away last week and his daughter told me her dad wanted me to have a old petrol mower , I have not seen it yet , god help me, I think the family who have not already disowned me will shortly be doing so.

Looking forward to the continuing story of your bikes.

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong

Bonzo
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 89
May 23, 2016 - 6:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dave 

I think that I might have a gear indicator lever kicking around in the shed, seemed to remember seeing one last time that I had a tidy up.

I'm on holiday in the Canary Islands at the moment, but will have a look at the weekend when I get home and let you know.

Regards

Mike

Kirkbybil
Guests
May 23, 2016 - 7:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That's you and Dookie, both doctors then! Next time my back goes from crawling around under the bike I'll know where to go!

Let me know if you and Bonzo sort out the gear indicator. It wasn't a friend, just someone on eBay bought a job lot of bits that had several gear indicators and lots of other nice bits and they went for £45 - I was on holiday so couldn't bid and I was gutted.

I contacted the seller and got his buyers email and asked him if he'd sell me an indicator but he wanted £45 for one set of inner and outer! Luckily he was a nice bloke and he found another indicator he had lying around by itself and sold it to me.   I'll give you his email if Bonzo doesn't find his and you're feeling flush - I can't believe how the prices of bits continues to go through the rooflaugh I might go back to mowers, I'm up to 3 now myself!

jess steele
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1894
May 24, 2016 - 6:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

BSAdave said
this bantam thing becomes additive I started out with a bitsa and now have five of the things.

I know that feeling,i've just started building up bantam number 14 that's as well as collecting some bits for number 15 and 16..

This time next year rodders..........

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1492
May 24, 2016 - 10:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bonzo said
Dave 

I think that I might have a gear indicator lever kicking around in the shed, seemed to remember seeing one last time that I had a tidy up.

I'm on holiday in the Canary Islands at the moment, but will have a look at the weekend when I get home and let you know.

Regards

Mike  

Hi Mike thank you, look forward to hearing from you

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong

Kirkbybil
Guests
May 24, 2016 - 8:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wheel question:

The D1 has painted wheels.

Should I just get them sandblasted and repaint them as is, or do I dismantle them, then blast them, then spray everything and rebuild them?  All the spokes seem sound, just rusty. 

Opinions please.

Hans Kreuzen
Queensland Australia
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 860
May 24, 2016 - 9:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am just going to blast and paint my rims on the 48 rigid, as they are in great condition.

1950 D1 plunger for daily use, Concourse 1948 D1 rigid, 1949 Aus. PMG replica D1 project and a 1949 rigid D1 survivor.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: mike p5xbx, cocorico, iain govan, Neil wood, wilkinww1
19 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3441

Cornish Rooster: 3314

bart: 3130

Sprung Chicken: 2659

David Dale: 2485