A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Kirkbybil's 1951 D1 Bantam De-Luxe
flintdog
Guests
November 26, 2015 - 8:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

lots dont match any way u can do any thing dont think trying 2 re stamp is good unless u have the write punches

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2356
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 27, 2015 - 2:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

BSAdave said
When I did my D1 i also only had the buff log book. you don't need a dating cert .

date.jpg

"The log book and other documents you send, if you wish to be certain that you don't lose these papers you can
ask me to photocopy them all and certify them as true copies and send them to me instead of the originals, but
please obviously this still may involve possible loss if you send items through the post."

I just retyped that out to convince myself I'd read it right, it wouldn't copy and past either.

Why would you send back the copies to the person who'd made them instead of the originals that you must have already sent beforehand to obtain those copies?

Am I going mad or what?????

You send copies, not the originals which he copies and certifies as true copies, but they may also be lost in the post?

How can he certify copies he hasn't made himself without seeing the originals????

Four now on the road and at least several in bits.

Kirkbybil
Guests
November 27, 2015 - 2:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You're not going mad Mags - I read it twice myself, couldn't make sense of it either but as I still need two photos of the complete bike it's not relevant to me yet.

I also thought it was hysterical that your doctor can look at the bike to certify the photo! If I had two broken necks, severe lacerations and blood spurting out of every orifice it would still take me fifteen minutes to get past the gatekeeper at my surgery and then, if I begged really hard, I might get an appointment in three weeks time. Can you imagine if I called to ask him to make a house call to see my bike?roflrofl

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1679
November 27, 2015 - 3:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

only the one word wrong hope-that-helpsdateing.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

D? - D10- D14 Bantams 350 AJS -500 Triumph http://bsanotru.....lfire.com/

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Top Gear User
Site Member
November 27, 2015 - 7:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you Mike for sorting that one out, but wars have been started on less!!! Not this time though of course.

Glad to know it wasn't just me too, Kirkbybil.

Derek's D5
Banter Editor
Club Librarian
Committee
Forum Posts: 1512
November 27, 2015 - 8:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I can sign passport photos. Dr Dookie, at your service. tip-my-hat No spurting blood though please.

Kirkbybil
Guests
November 27, 2015 - 10:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dookie Howser MD ! 

Kirkbybil
Guests
November 29, 2015 - 6:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just spotted this on eBAy = ** Please log in to view **

It looks to be a deluxe the same as mine so I'm going to screen grab the pix as it's the only original one I've seen and it's photpgraphed from different angles so it will be useful when I'm trying to piece together my D1 Jigsaw puzzle!

It looks the same as mine and original to me but if anyone can see anything non-original will you let me know.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Top Gear User
Site Member
November 29, 2015 - 9:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dookie said
I can sign passport photos. Dr Dookie, at your service. tip-my-hat No spurting blood though please.

You may just get lots of bantam folk arriving on your doorstep now, asking you to sign backs of photo's...and look at frame and engine numbers.

Thinking about it, I'm not that far away really to trailer the D1 and the C15....see you!

PS, kidding!

Derek's D5
Banter Editor
Club Librarian
Committee
Forum Posts: 1512
November 29, 2015 - 10:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You may just get lots of bantam folk arriving on your doorstep now, asking you to sign backs of photo's...and look at frame and engine numbers.

Thinking about it, I'm not that far away really to trailer the D1 and the C15....see you!

PS, kidding!

Tough job, but somebody has to do it!

Kirkbybil
Guests
February 1, 2016 - 8:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Does anyone remember those ABS exercise wheels? The ones where you kneeled down, grabbed the handles on each side of the wheel and rolled it forward and back to exercise your ABS?

Flywheel-excerciser.jpg

Well, I re-invented it last night with the D1 flywheel!

flywheel.jpg 

I stuck a piece of emery paper on the shaft either side and rolled it back and forth on the bench for an hour and a half until they fitted in the bearings - bored & knackered but did it!!!!zzzz  

However, now that I have it in place there is no room for the distance collar that I just got from Howard?

I'll post this on my D1 rebuild thread as that's where it should be but if anyone knows? It's a 1951 'early D1 - No. YDL6800 so according to the parts book it should have one?

Edit - moved it for you, Bill.

Kirkbybil
Guests
February 1, 2016 - 8:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have started rebuilding my D1 engine. (See my D5 thread)

It's a 1951 'early D1 - No. YDL6800 so, according to the parts book it should have the distance collar on the flywheel. Before I started the build I looked up the parts book to check and the book shows the collar and I bought one of the batch that Howard recently had made. 

However, now that I have the bearings in place and the flywheel loosely fitted, there is absolutely no room for the collar or washer, probably just enough for a couple of shims to get the end float correct though not done that yet.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on?  Is it anything to do with the fact that it's a Deluxe with the Lucas electrics? I can't see why that would affect the inner crankcase but maybe it does.

Bournemouth Bantams
Guests
February 1, 2016 - 8:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Any chance of a picture of the crank assembly you are using, especially the generator side shaft, the Lucas assembly is totally different from the Wipac on the generator side.

There are also two types of crank assembly the later type has the larger dia to the shaft adjacent to the flywheels this was first used to hold fan oil thrower then became the boss the inner oil seals run on with the later engines this boss is not there on the very early engines which is why you need the spacer, the main bearing on the left hand side is recessed in the case by the thickness of the later oil seals.

The spacer has a slightly thicker inner section so it butts up to the inner race on the main bearing, if it were an ever thickness it would also hit the outer race and jam the engine solid.

"H" 

Kirkbybil
Guests
February 1, 2016 - 10:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here's the pix, do these help?

D1-crank2.jpgD1-crank1.jpgD1-cases.jpg

Bournemouth Bantams
Guests
February 1, 2016 - 10:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok the crank is defiantly the correct one, no increase in the shaft dia and it has the correct tapered shaft on the generator side. I must admit I have not rebuilt a Lucas engine but I have done a few of the earlier YD engines, admittedly not for a few years, I am getting on a bit so the memory is fading. The left hand bearing is usually recessed by about 6mm which is where the spacer fits.

I would have to go and look at some of the cases I have and check the bearing position, I do have a Lucas engine in bits as well so will try and find that one as well.

Sorry but would not be until Wednesday.

"H"

dimitris
CYPRUS
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1493
February 2, 2016 - 11:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

And where do you fit the crank seals in this engine?

BSA D1, 125cc (1952)---BSA D10 Sport 175cc (1967)---Triumph Cub T20 (1960)

Bournemouth Bantams
Guests
February 2, 2016 - 3:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The early engines don't have the inner oil seals they just rely on the outer seals.

"H"

Kirkbybil
Guests
February 2, 2016 - 6:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Heres the cases with a couple of screws:

D5:

D5-crank.jpg

D1:

D1-crank.jpg

Both look exactly the same in terms of gap between flywheel & cases. Definitely nowhere to put washer or distance collar. I also checked the bearings and they are seated correctly, right up against the case so they won't go further in. As per earlier photos they sit flush with the inner crankcase. There's just a tint bit of lateral play for a couple of shims to sort out the end float.

It must be the Lucas version that either has a fatter flywheel or the left hand crankcase is moulded differently?

Bournemouth Bantams
Guests
February 2, 2016 - 6:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That would not surprise me.

But I am still going to check the cases I have as it may be that the very early engines did not require the spacer after all. Which would mean there are 4 versions of the early D1 engine cases, without spacer, with spacer, with boss and oil fan and with boss and inner oil seals, And of course you can throw in the Lucas engine like yours to make 5  

I love BSA sometimes.

"H"  

Bournemouth Bantams
Guests
February 2, 2016 - 6:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just noticed your pictures do show the drillings for the oil within the crank chamber to drip on to the bearings in the D1 which are absent on the D5.

It is worth ensuring these are clear push a piece of wire down them to clear them out.

"H"

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: cocorico, Bee175, swalsh58
16 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3318

Cornish Rooster: 3314

bart: 3130

Sprung Chicken: 2654