September 28, 2011
Hello Aquarius thanks for your comments I hope my d7 is an early one the frame no. D736432 but the reg no. On the rear mudguard is bfh81j this can't be right. The engine that came with it is a b175 hcc2479 but I have a spare d7engine that I could use. So I hope this is an early frame what do you think. Snip.
Snip,the frame (well,the front part anyway) dates from 1963.The engine number is confusing as there should be only 2 letters denoting month and year and could either be march 69 or July 69.
1955 D1, 1970 B175
Dave....may I say you're re-build is totally awesome and very inspiring, I have a rebuild going on my first one too its on here if you want to take a look, looking at yours, makes me want to take it apart and start again!!!! Its my first and I guess it will get better keep up the awesome work and thank you
Sorry, not been on here for a while, but have been busy with the build!
Thanks for all of the kind comments and encouragement, it's easy to get stuck in a rut with these projects and the enthusiasm of the forum and the club members at the various shows helps me on the road to getting it finished!
I've now got the front mudguard (if you can class it as that) finished. I ended up buying a new pattern part from a show and cutting it down, as the full bantam sport mudguard did not suit the look of the bike. This was attached to two Cub fork brackets with twin holes and a mudguard stay found at an autojumble (could also be from a cub), this has also tightened up the front suspension by linking the two fork legs together.
I've swapped the bars for a new set of chrome C15 bars and replaced the light switch unit with a simple chrome horn push button. I have removed the lights for now, I'm tempted to get a daylight only M.O.T. on it after seeing two brilliantly restored D1's at the Oswestry autojumble. I might make and fit a period number board to the front forks. Does anyone know if the horn has to work without the engine running for the M.O.T (do I need a battery)?
I've fitted new shrouded shock absorbers to the rear, I managed to find some with the correct 11.4" spacing, they fit very close to the chain guard at the moment so may need a washer or two installing to push them out a bit.
The chain and rear sprocket have been fitted.
I've started to make a single seat, I think this suits the look of the bike better, a nice GPO or custom made rack behind the seat would look good don't you think?
If Howard reads this can you let me know if you can get hold of a Trail Bronc front pipe from your suppliers? I didn't like the look of the standard D7 exhaust as it was too long so I am going to fit the shorter D1 exhaust, I like the slight kick up of the Trail Bronc but know how rare the front pipes are.
Here are some pictures of it tonight;
I'm updating my old build thread as after having our first child and taking a break from the man cave I've just started the final push to get this project finished.
I've decided to go down the 'almost' original route for the bike, I've got hold of a sport front mudguard in decent condition together with all of the brackets and already had a good rear mudguard.
I've got the original Lucas Headlamp installed in its housing which has been repainted over the last couple of weeks, today ive started on the bit that looks like a pair of trousers and the mudguards. I had the mudguards blasted which has revealed lots of tiny pit marks from the small amount of rust that was on them which took a bit of filling. The rear mudguard is now looking pretty smooth, just need to flat it, grey primer and then top coat. The 'Trousers' are also ready for top coat now.
June 13, 2015
Congratulations on the birth and welcome back. I often wondered what had happened to this build, must say I thought it looked excellent as it was coming along. Went to the Oswestry bike autojumble last month but it was pretty pointless, nothing for bantams apart from one rusty swing arm that was double the price of ebay.
Keep the pictures going.
Thanks Mick, I'm pleased with how it is looking but it was going to be a pain to get registered and road legal.
I picked up a few more parts today, trailer wire and a box of connectors to make the loom, also ordered a regulator from Rex Caunt. It was originaly a direct electrics bike so I am going to keep it as it was. I stripped the outer off the trailer wire which should do for the loom (a tip I picked up from this forum). I'm getting a good solid spark from the engine.
The trousers have also had their first coat of black tonight,
I have also finished off the numberplate.
July 25, 2014
Most Users Ever Online: 223
Currently Online: taplowman
Currently Browsing this Page:
Cornish Rooster: 3314
Sprung Chicken: 2659
David Dale: 2485
Blue Heeler: 2416
Mags 1: 2356
Guest Posters: 1477
Administrators: Bantam-Super, JMD, Springs, Stoo63