I've had a few more parts through the post that have been keeping me busy,
Managed to get the dent out of the centre panel and they now look like this,
I have also got the other fork leg finished and the spring fitted.
I've also finally got a nice smooth finish on the rear mud guard, It took a lot of filling and sanding to get looking right.
It just needs a final rub down and polish and it'll be ready to fit.
I picked this little light up for the rear a while ago and got a sheet of 3mm aluminium to make a bracket from,
Spent a couple of hours in the garage with a drill and jigsaw and came up with this,
Its a bit crude at the moment but one I have it fitting right it should shine up nicely.
That's all for now!
It took forever to get the mudguard to look good.
My brother-in-laws brother runs a bodyshop and has said he will put some two pack laquer on my tank if I drop it round to him, that's that problem solved.
Yes it is a stop and tail light, it also has a clear section to light up the number plate underneath.
I need to have a good think about how I am going to mount the number plate, reflectors etc. the length of the mudguard was determined by where the split and the hole for standard rear electrics was.
What is the best thing to paint the underside of the mudguards with? I'm guessing they get chipped quite easily and would start to rust pretty quick?
I might have a go at making some headlamp mounting brackets if the tail light bracket turns out ok.
Sorry to resurrect my old post but its about time (I can't believe it's over a year!) I showed you how my Bantam and first motorbike project is coming along.
I've been busy over the winter learning how to build wheels, painted a few more parts, found and fitted the engine and fitted the headlamp.
It's the first time it has seen daylight today, I built the forks with new bushes (took some work to get them to fit!) and bolted the wheels on.
As you can see I have made quite a lot of progress.
Can't wait to get it finished now.
Another productive evening spent in the garage tonight making a bracket for the Smiths speedo to bolt on to.....
It fits between the handlebar clamps. Made from 3mm aluminium it clamps up securely and still allows for the bars to be really tightened down.
I'm sure when MOT time arrives I'll have to re-think all of these brackets etc, but it looks nice and i'm having fun putting it together. I've rounded off all of the edges and put curves in rather than sharp edges. I'll find out sooner or later.
I've also put my shopping list together for the festival of 1000 bikes tomorrow, I'll drop by the Bantam Club and say hello!
A little more progress.
Rear brake is all linked up and working.
I also now have a front pipe which I have wrapped, have lacquered the tank and given the side pods an extra few coats of black to give them a deeper shine. The battery tray has also been restored and painted in the same enamel as the frame. I just need to find or fabricate some spacers so the side pods side straight.
Next job is to paint the tank barrel and sort out that chain guard. The "to do" list is gradually getting shorter.
November 23, 2011
Thanks for your kind comments Rick,
I've had to be patient, It's taken me nearly two years to get this far!
The hardest part is the constant fight with myself to walk away and let the paint dry rather than quickly just spray another coat on and potentially ruin it. There has been plenty of stripping paint off parts that have not turned out great!
The tank barrel has been painted! I went down the Wilkos BBQ paint route and am pleased with the finish.
It took a while to get the crud from between the fins. I also ended up removing the cylinder head to get it cleaned up whilst the paint was drying.
I'll get the rest of it cleaned and polished next and stick a new head gasket on before it goes back in the frame.
September 28, 2011
Wow that is fine looking bike. How did u polish the engine casing ? I have d7 frame but d10 engine. I have powder coated the frames
rofessionally but I painted the mudguards tool box etc. but I see your fork where the light fit is different ? Did u put the new tyres on yourself ? I painted the rims silver hammerite. But I scraped when putting the new tyres and tubes etc lol.
Taffy, I just used Autosol to polish the engine up. I also used copious amounts of WD40 and a toothbrush to clear off all of the gunk around the drive sprocket and clutch arm. Here is the result;
The forks are original D7 but the headlamp is a 60's Lucas unit, which is the right size for a bantam (5 1/4"?) but I don't think was ever fitted to them. I picked up the chrome headlamp brackets at the Stafford show for a fiver, I'm not sure what bike they are from but they fit over the stanchions perfectly. I just need to work out which thread the headlamp uses, I've tried 5/16" BSC (26tpi) and BSF with no joy.
I did put the tyres on myself. I did the same as you originally, I painted the rim with smooth Hamerite. Then two powder coated Jones rims came up local to me on ebay which I fortunately won for 99p! I used lots of cable ties to fit the tyres, squeezing the tyre over the rim then tightening the cable ties. Then I carefully used large flat screw driver to pop the last bit of the bead over. This left no marks on the rim.
I picked up a rear mudguard at the Forden bike show last Sunday (great show!) I'll paint these up green to match the tank so that I can switch it to standard D7 as well (I've also got an original nacelle kicking around here somewhere);
Most Users Ever Online: 223
Currently Online: taplowman, Stoo63, Ringting, Kevin Garner
Currently Browsing this Page:
Cornish Rooster: 3314
Sprung Chicken: 2659
David Dale: 2485
Blue Heeler: 2402
Mags 1: 2356
Guest Posters: 1477
Administrators: Bantam-Super, JMD, Springs, Stoo63