A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Engine BD2 7365 & Frame BD2S 35380
lids
Guests
December 9, 2016 - 10:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi guys,

My name is Trev and I'm from Melbourne Australia.

I bought my first BSA Bantam earlier this year and have stripped the bike.  The frame and other parts are being powder coated, chrome parts are being re-chromed, new wheels and spokes are about to be ordered from the UK and the engine will be rebuilt once everything else has arrived and put back together.

My bike was bought as a 1954 D1 BSA Bantam... The frame # of my bike is BD2S 35380 & the Engine # is BD2 7365.

Can anyone tell me if those numbers match up to a D1 from 1954?

Aside from that question, if anyone has any other advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Trev

Mick W
North Wales
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 967
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 9, 2016 - 5:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi and Welcome to the forum. I am sure once peope with the knowledge see this thay will offer an answer.

Mick

swalsh58
St. Mary's Bay, Kent
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1466
December 9, 2016 - 8:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have searched the records for your machine, and have eventually found your frame. Unfortunately your frame number falls into a gap in the records so it took some finding, and your engine is not the original one it left the factory with. It appears to be a sprung frame D3, and was originally sent to what appears to be a shipping agent called Tozer Kemsley on the 1st October 1954. The original engine number was 6024.

Current bikes......1958 D5, a 77 Suzuki GT250 and a B175 almost ready for the road and a 76 Honda C90 in the workshop. A 1980 Honda CB400N now on the road and my everyday ride is a 2011 Harley Davidson Sportster. All bikes (except the D5) are now for sale...

lids
Guests
December 10, 2016 - 5:11 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you so much for doing that...  I really do appreciate it.

Would there happen to be anything you can tell me about the engine it has in it by the engine number?  I'm wanting to buy a rebuild kit for it and want to make sure I get the right kit online.

I have ordered a new set of 19" 36 spoke wheels from the UK and also new guards, hopefully they all fit! fingers-crossed

Cheers
Trev

swalsh58
St. Mary's Bay, Kent
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1466
December 10, 2016 - 10:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The engine I have found that best matches, would be one from a D1 that was sent to the same shipping agent on the 5th June 1953, which was originally attached to frame number 11242. There is another possible and that would be a D3 motor  and that was sent to a dealer called 'Levantes'?? (the writing is poor and difficult to read) on the 14th December 54, but that one should be stamped D3 or D3B. The first one is the more likely, I hope that helps

Current bikes......1958 D5, a 77 Suzuki GT250 and a B175 almost ready for the road and a 76 Honda C90 in the workshop. A 1980 Honda CB400N now on the road and my everyday ride is a 2011 Harley Davidson Sportster. All bikes (except the D5) are now for sale...

mike1
Guests
December 10, 2016 - 11:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi lids it just occurred to me that I had seen engine bd3 6024 somewhere before & I've just realized it was sold with a swinging arm d3 recently so it still exists and here is a pic I took of itimage.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
lids
Guests
December 10, 2016 - 12:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for all your efforts... Mike, I can't believe you'd seen that engine recently, small world that's for sure.

Would have been awesome to have the matching engine for this frame but I am happy to rebuild the engine it has.

I will get some pictures uploaded once her refurbished parts start coming back and also as she starts going back together.

cheers

Trev

mike1
Guests
December 11, 2016 - 9:45 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I only remembered it because I've got a d3 engine that came off the line just after that one so thought id pass the info on just as some useless trivia. It sold in October and was located in baulkham hills sydney so it's done some traveling. Good luck with your resto

lids
Guests
January 8, 2017 - 7:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi guys,

Hope everyone had an enjoyable and safe festive season?

I'm still buying parts for my build, the list of things on the way is amazing.  I've decided to buy new or already refurbished parts out of the UK where possible as opposed to getting the existing parts refurbished.

One very newbie question I do have is about the exhaust... Are the exhausts on the Rigid and Plungers the same?  Given the frame of my bike is a D3 Plunger and the Engine is a D1, I want to make sure I get the correct exhaust.

Thanks again for all your help guys.

Cheers
Lids

Hans Kreuzen
Queensland Australia
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 860
January 8, 2017 - 8:20 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Lids

If you are going for the D1 look with fishtail silencer, than the picture below shows the difference between a rigid and a plunger type silencer.

The top plunger silencer has the recesses to allow for the plungers to fit, all new reproduced fishtail silencers have the recesses.

The D3 look is the torpedo type, Its up to you witch type you like best.

Look up Bones from Oz Bantams, it shows the silencers for sale.

Silencer-7.jpg

hope-that-helpsHans

1950 D1 plunger for daily use, Concourse 1948 D1 rigid, 1949 Aus. PMG replica D1 project and a 1949 rigid D1 survivor.

lids
Guests
January 10, 2017 - 7:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Hans - really appreciate the reply.

You actually answered a question that I hadn't even thought of yet so that's probably saved me some dollars right there. 🙂

I was more talking about the exhaust pipe itself, not the silencer... Does the D3 plunger frame need a different exhaust pipe from the engine compared to the D3 rigid... or is the frame irrelevant and I need to by the exhaust to suit that particular engine?

I'm not sure if I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be, so apologies if I'm confusing people... 1st BSA rebuild! 🙂

Cheers
Lids

Hans Kreuzen
Queensland Australia
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 860
January 10, 2017 - 8:42 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Lids

There is a difference, Your plunger has the pipe running over the top of the footrest and most early rigid frames run under the foot rest.

Exhaust-over-footrests.JPG

Anyway, You need the most common front down pipe sold, running over the footrest.

hope-that-helps Hans

1950 D1 plunger for daily use, Concourse 1948 D1 rigid, 1949 Aus. PMG replica D1 project and a 1949 rigid D1 survivor.

lids
Guests
January 15, 2017 - 5:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi guys,

Hope everyone's having a great weekend?

So... I'm thinking that as this bike has a D1 motor in a D3 frame, I'd put the D1 decals on it?  I did buy some decals already but they aren't great quality at all and have already arranged to return them.  So the questions are;

1) Should I use the D1 or D3 decals?
2) What's the complete list of decals I need to get?
3) Where would you guys go to get your decal sets?

Cheers
Lids

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3425
January 15, 2017 - 8:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

lids said
... I'm thinking that as this bike has a D1 motor in a D3 frame
1) Should I use the D1 or D3 decals?

I would say it depends on the licensing arrangement in Australia. In the UK, Bikes are licensed on their frame number, so yours would be classed as a D3.

However, the decals you fit won't make any difference to that, so fit what you want - it's your bike.

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn. 1950 D1 engine being rebuilt (slowly).

lids
Guests
November 13, 2017 - 7:19 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi all,

Hope every one is well, it's been a pretty hectic year as I'm sure it is for everyone else.  The bike got put on the back burner a little during winter but am starting again tonight.

I've decided to get new front and rear guards as the old ones simply need too much work.  So as my frame is a 54' D3 Plunger frame, can anyone tell me if there is a difference between them and D1/D3 Rigid guards.  The reason why I'm asking is that I can find those for sale everywhere, but not for the D3 Plunger.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Have a great day.

Lids

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3425

Cornish Rooster: 3314