Finished making one good petrol cap out of two tonight. Slightly tricky to get the tube out and swap it over, but by bending the tube to one side it put a 'wave' into the lip of the tube, which could then be rotated so it rode over the tabs on the cap that hold it in.
Once that was done I cleaned the best of the hidden parts and put a coating of white grease on the spring and inner surfaces, then rotated it back into the best cap. I then used a slightly over sized tube to slip over the measuring tube and between the cap to knock the lip flat again.
Courtesy of Howard and Bournemouth Bantams I now have some nice sprocket bolts:
The small heads give clearance to the brake plate and the brake plate arm - its all rather a snug fit !
I'm also delighted with the handlebars (thanks again IanD) I've started to clean and assemble all the various parts on the bars:
Bit of a set back on getting the wheels - I had the nuts and chain adjusters acid dipped and re-coated, but it went wrong with the coating not taking. Unfortunately though it also damaged the surfaces quite badly - so really they are all scrap 🙁
So I'm having to buy the parts, which is a bit of a delay and a cost I wasn't planning.
Hopefully more progress to post up soon.
All the parts are here for fitting the wheels - so I started drifting the bearings into the back wheel tonight. Far more fiddly than I expected and I need to sand some powdercoat off the brake plate to get it to fit, but we have it loosely assembled.
At the moment its not looking like the right side nut will thread on quite enough and that the left one will have extra threads .... but I'll look at that when the brake plate is fitted. In the mean time - I love how its shaping up!
A little more progress. I rebuilt the rear hub, drifting the bearings in etc and offered it up to the swinging arm:
Looks great but not quite right somehow. The gap between the brake plate and the sprocket it larger than I thought it would be, the spindle seems further through on the sprocket side and not quite far enough through on the speedo drive side. It binds too, even though the bearings are / were good, and I have to stretch the swinging arm a little to get it in....
So I've downloaded the service sheet on rebuilding D7 hubs and will order a new pair of rear bearings and try again. Any tips very welcome anyone ?
I've made a little bit of progress with the seat too: The previous owner had welded in bolts through the seat pan to mount the mounting bracket too - and I've tried numerous different nuts to fit: CEI, UNF, UNC, Metric and non seemed to fit. So I measured the tpi and bizarrely it seemed to by M7 ?
Who uses M7 ? and even that seemed a little loose. So a little more thought and I realised the 1/4" BSF was 1 tpi different to the M7 and whilst a tight fit I decided to go for it. So I bought a pair of stainless 1/4" BSF and washers and bolted it on. Finally!
The foam cleaned up well from being cleaned and soaked in dettol (pictured earlier in the thread) and no longer smells. Just need to repeat the cleaning on the vinyl cover and I can then rebuild the seat. Looking forward to that.
September 28, 2011
November 23, 2011
Wow that is some rebuild.....and very well presented all round.
I looked to see your comment about Regal Raptor's rust cleaning idea but was it on the old forum? Maybe you could run that one by me again.
Boy, are we all looking forward to seeing that at the National Rally in August, in Shropshire; - no pressure...........!!
Thank you for the kind words Rick! Very encouraging and much appreciated.
I think it must have been on the old forum - he also made a short post about it on his ** Please log in to view ** - basically he and I soaked the springs in tube full of a rust remover. Which did a brilliant job!
A couple more pictures (taken in poor light so a bit grainey I'm afraid!) :
I build up the front hub, drifted the bearings in etc and also modified the shoes to ensure the leading edge touched the inside of the drum first, so as to get the servo effect of the rotation.
Very pleased with the look of it and it spins nicely too.
I need to remove the rear again and have a look at the bearings again - if they are good still I will have another got at drifting them in and setting the hub up, if not I'll be buying new bearings to do it with.
Most Users Ever Online: 223
Currently Online: Neil_EngUK, dnmalc
Currently Browsing this Page:
Cornish Rooster: 3314
Sprung Chicken: 2659
David Dale: 2485
Blue Heeler: 2402
Mags 1: 2356
Guest Posters: 1477
Administrators: Bantam-Super, JMD, Springs, Stoo63