A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1958 D5
mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1697
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 20, 2016 - 5:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

thats not really what I expected you to say,
they are quite free flowing and should not alter the mixture at all
you could try cleaning them as suggested above

D7 pancake type with paper filters are notoriously useless on a 2stroke

D? - D10- D14 Bantams 350 AJS -500 Triumph http://bsanotru.....lfire.com/

jess steele
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1894
June 21, 2016 - 7:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

BSAdave said

The normal D3/D5 type.  

dunnoDon't know how you've managed that dave a d3 air filter won't fit on a 375 monobloc without a reducer and the d5 filter is really hard to find and both ain't the same.

Looking at the above photo it seems to be a d7 air filter and unless its blocked solid I can't see that being your trouble,but by removing the air filter you would get a lot more air in carb so it sounds like the pilot side of the carb maybe partly blocked somewhere or the carb is over fueling...

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1492
June 21, 2016 - 7:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My Mistake it is the D7 one . I had another go at the carb again and still no improvement so if it ever stops raining I'm going to try the carb of the bitsa and see how it goes.

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong

Derek's D5
Banter Editor
Club Librarian
Committee
Forum Posts: 1512
June 21, 2016 - 9:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Have you got all the correct size jets in, are they new, and is your needle on the second groove down? And the needle clip tight? New float chamber needle? Float right way round and spacer in right place? No fibre washer under the needle housing (the bit that screws into the top of the float)? Regarding the last point, I am not sure if there should be one or not, but I had to assemble my carb without one because the needle wasn't fully shutting off the fuel because the needle housing was slightly too high due to the washer.

MOSOGER
Guests
June 21, 2016 - 11:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Dave, she is looking good, soon as you sort out the Carb enigma you should have a good summer, burning up the tarmac in Barnet. clapthumbs-up

Next time I am down at my lads, Ill give you a bell and pop round for maybe a cuppa and check out your flock of bantams ETC, if your free.

I reckon without these little faults and anomalies of British bikes people like us on the Forum would be lost, riding is only enjoyed if you have earned the right to be on it, how boring would it be fetching the paper from the shop if you didn't have to think whether you would make it without adjusting the timing, carb for the return journey. thumbs-up

Regards Bob.

Skid
Hampshire UK
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 120
June 21, 2016 - 12:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I reckon without these little faults and anomalies of British bikes people like us on the Forum would be lost, riding is only enjoyed if you have earned the right to be on it, how boring would it be fetching the paper from the shop if you didn't have to think whether you would make it without adjusting the timing, carb for the return journey.

Yes, thats exactly it Bob. i-agree

Every ride on a Bantam is an adventure (well for me it is anyway). Just had a few 'interesting' moments myself couple of hours ago in the B&Q car park, wondering if I had enough tools to make it back. But thats the fun. Even now I'm still sitting here buzzing after making the trip unscathed. Dont get that after a trip in the car do you? 

MOSOGER
Guests
June 21, 2016 - 1:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You got it SKID.

Chin in, Chest out, you have earned the right to ride a Classic British Bike.

Bob.

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 21, 2016 - 3:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Right I have had it with this D5,  I took the carb of the Bitsa and put it on the D5, now it won't start. arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

MOSOGER
Guests
June 21, 2016 - 3:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

BSAdave said
Right I have had it with this D5,  I took the carb of the Bitsa and put it on the D5, now it won't start. arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  

roflBin there Dave got the tee shirt.....

Read somewhere that these Bantams were simple machine's...laughwho ever it was probably never owned one.

Hang in there and gloat in the glory when it does start.

Regards Bob

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 21, 2016 - 4:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Bob,

After thrashing it with a lump of Holy bush and threatening to sell the «censored» thing, it started up . It ticks over. done a lap of the block got back home and then there was a knock at the door, A man was standing there holding the air filter, he said "this fell off your bike" .  I was going to take this bike to the show this Sunday at  Whitewebs but it can stay in the shed until it behaves it self.  Now I know why BSA only made them for a year, they properly got feed up with all the faulty ones being brought back.

just to show you it does run when it wants to.

feature=youtu.be

Skid
Hampshire UK
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 120
June 21, 2016 - 4:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice and quiet there Dave. Makes mine sound like a bag of nails..embarassed

Derek's D5
Banter Editor
Club Librarian
Committee
Forum Posts: 1512
June 21, 2016 - 4:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am not sure it's a bantam at all, sounding that smooth. When I master the dark art of YouTube I will show you how rough mine sounds.

MOSOGER
Guests
June 21, 2016 - 5:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey up Dave you cracked it... very good ... and a bit of summer left to enjoy it ...

Bob

Kirkbybil
Guests
June 21, 2016 - 7:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Does anyone remember the old Irish joke (probably politically incorrect now, so apologies in advance) about the tree feller who has a job to cut down a hundred trees in just three days so, as he's heard a chain saw is the tool for the job, he goes out and buys one. However, he barely manages a tree a day so he takes it back to the store to complain that it's useless. The man behind the counter pulls the starter cord and the engine bursts into life and the Irishman says "What the hell's that noise??"

- Well that's how I feel when I listen to your video  clapclapclap

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 22, 2016 - 8:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7459/27756263661_3df9399457_b.jpg

Hans Kreuzen
Queensland Australia
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 860
June 22, 2016 - 10:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looking great Dave, It's a credit to youclap

And to think, It all started with a rusty 1949 rigid D1  dohwhistle

1950 D1 plunger for daily use, Concourse 1948 D1 rigid, 1949 Aus. PMG replica D1 project and a 1949 rigid D1 survivor.

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 22, 2016 - 2:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Th

Hans Kreuzen said
Looking great Dave, It's a credit to youclap

And to think, It all started with a rusty 1949 rigid D1  dohwhistle  

Thank you Hans.

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 22, 2016 - 2:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

This afternoon , I got the D5 out and it would not start on the kick start and being has my foot is still messed up from yesterdays antics I bumped started it, I took it to the petrol station filled up with petrol/oil and it would not start again lucky the petrol station is on top of the hill so I bumped started it and went for a very enjoyable twelve mile run. I got back to the lock up and it would not start even with a bump start. out came the tools , I checked the timing,points and spark plug, nothing was found to be wrong, I removed the air filter and it started up,  I went for a 5 mile run and it went really well , stopped the engine and then restarted it up which it did. I stopped the engine put on the air filter and it would not start.  now this is the carb off the bitsa along with the air filter .  so the problem is clearly not the carb. I think I will put the cheap VM22 clone back on as it runs really well with it on.

At the moment I have fitted a polished aluminium velocity stack tube onto the end of the carb and it pulls very well with this fitted.

This problem is a new one to me. Ant thoughts as to where to look ?????

Just remembered another little problem while going along at a fair rate it cut out , when I looked down my knee and managed to knock the fuel tap into the off position.. At least that is an easy fix. 

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 23, 2016 - 11:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I took the D5 to the polling station to cast my vote, the bike was running well, I came out after voting and it started up, I went for a longish run managing to clock up thirty one miles with out any issues, this was all done with out the Air filter and just the long bell mouth fitted.  The only reason I did not continue was due the the weather.

I have just worked out that since owning the D5 I have clocked up one hundred and one miles.

Start mileage.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7186/27778182691_3f02d6571e_b.jpg

Today finish.

https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7556/27778189621_b395a5ee3a_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7368/27242014384_794c9164fe_b.jpg

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
July 4, 2016 - 10:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yesterday was a day of riding bikes, trying to work out which one to take to the rally, First it was out on the 49er , I have fitted a new fuel tap , it is a turn on one rather than a pull out type , the reason for doing this was please read here ** Please log in to view **

I have changed the fuel taps on three of my bikes for these types , I got them from here ** Please log in to view ** You will need the adapter to fit them to the D1/3/5 tanks but still far cheaper then the rubbish ones I had.

The 49er went well, then it was time of the D5 it started second kick and away I went, it run great I did another 14 miles on it. It is still not working with the air filter, but runs great with the bell mouth fitted.

Decisions decisions .

After riding these two I got my new to me Kawasaki out and went to the famous bike hang out which is High Beach and it was deserted , now i have been here in the middle of winter before and there was always some one there.  but not yesterday.

https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7701/27974462972_330e631e5f_b.jpg

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7399/28076883395_242bfded76_b.jpg

The broken tap.

https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7290/28043121836_daf98848f2_b.jpg

The new one fitted.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7446/27463464584_f9d3296f1c_b.jpg

The useless ones.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7547/27999616601_eb475f3c55_b.jpg

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: Kevin Garner