A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1958 D5
Derek's D5
Banter Editor
Club Librarian
Committee
Forum Posts: 1512
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 24, 2016 - 9:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh and make sure the float is in the right way round or it will stick!

Bournemouth Bantams
Guests
May 24, 2016 - 10:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The monobloc carbs also have a problem with the fuel shut off needle, the original items are plastic and can swell slightly causing them to stick in the brass sleeve, replace with an updated version Viton tipped brass one they are also slightly heavier so work better.

There is also different diameters of the brass insert the needle slides in make sure it is a nice close fit.

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1492
May 25, 2016 - 8:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you for your help, I took the carb apart again and this time I noticed that the spacer for the float was a bit of aluminium tube , it was not cut square , I looked through my carb box of spares and found the correct brass one , I don't think this was the problem but I might has well fit the correct part. The fuel shut off needle is a brass one, Reading Kirbybil post on his D5 problem, it sounds exactly the same issue I have. So i will wait to see if he gets any replies to his question foe help.

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
May 26, 2016 - 12:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good news, The DVLA have found and sent my passport back. also got a call today from SGS, they are coming to inspect the bike on the first of June.

One step nearer to getting onto the road.

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 1, 2016 - 12:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The D5 has just been inspected and photographed by SGS , so yet another delay in getting the V5, one way or another I think that there is some one up there that don't want D5's back on the road. rofl 

Kirkbybil
Guests
June 1, 2016 - 10:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm with you on that one Dave!  I think the Bantam Gods don't like them wink

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 9, 2016 - 5:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

reg.jpg

This morning the post man delivered the V5, The D5 has a V5,

A big thanks to Steve, the dating man.

I have ordered the letters and numbers for the number plate and have changed the insurance from the frame number to the number plate.

I will soon be hitting the highways.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

swalsh58
St. Mary's Bay, Kent
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1459
June 9, 2016 - 8:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

BSAdave said
reg.jpg

This morning the post man delivered the V5, The D5 has a V5,

A big thanks to Steve, the dating man.

I have ordered the letters and numbers for the number plate and have changed the insurance from the frame number to the number plate.

I will soon be hitting the highways.  

My pleasure! Try not to hit the highways, its much nicer to roll along them.........

Current bikes......1958 D5, a 77 Suzuki GT250 and a B175 almost ready for the road and a 76 Honda C90 in the workshop. A 1980 Honda CB400N now on the road and my everyday ride is a 2011 Harley Davidson Sportster. All bikes (except the D5) are now for sale...

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 11, 2016 - 11:24 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The letters and numbers turned up this morning The D5 is now all legal. You give the dimensions of the number plate and the letters arrive all pre spaced you stick them on and away you go, What I did to mine was stick them in place making sure there are no air bubbles then I gave them a coat of clear coat. Not sure if that was necessary but it will give them a bit of protection. 

Not bad for £4.49 including delivery

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7318/27597598065_50aecbd499_b.jpg

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 12, 2016 - 1:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

A short video of the D5 actually starting and running, On the start up it looks like the lick starter is in the down position but it did return to the upright position it is just the angle of the filming. The D5 is still running on the cheap pit bike carb and works very well. It starts easy.

No jacket or gloves or boots, but I did remember to put a crash helmet on . I was out on it for 15 minutes. The plan for today was to take it for a much longer ride but it is raining.

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 12, 2016 - 1:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

feature=youtu.be

Maddog Leary
Melbourne Australia
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1251
June 13, 2016 - 12:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jealous!!!!!! LOL Well done mate!....

MD cheers

Maddog - 56 Swingarm D3 Major -  Major Works in progress! Machine is fighting against me every which way!

Derek's D5
Banter Editor
Club Librarian
Committee
Forum Posts: 1512
June 13, 2016 - 3:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am jealous too... mine hasn't been out for weeks. Where did you get the number plate letters?

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 14, 2016 - 7:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dookie said
I am jealous too... mine hasn't been out for weeks. Where did you get the number plate letters?  

From here:

** Please log in to view **

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 14, 2016 - 7:20 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you for the replies,

Ever since I went out on the D5 the weather has been crap. I'm off work tomorrow, so lets hope it stays fine i won't to put some miles on it, 

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 15, 2016 - 3:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Day off work,

Got the D5 out , it started third kick and off I went, I got ten miles into the journey and at one time managed to get to the dizzy speed of 60 MPH, and then it just stopped dead . I tried to  restart but it was having none of it. I turned it around and stated to push it for about fifteen minutes then tried to start it again which it did, it burst into life, I got about half a mile and it did it again, it carried on in this fashion until god decided to throw one days worth of rain onto me. I abandoned the bike at the side of the road. I got home and went back to recover it by means of the Land rover,. Thinking it must be the condenser i changed this for a known good one and went for another ride this time keeping local and after four miles it did it again.  I had fuel coming out of the tap, I had a good spark. this left only the carb, once I got it back home I removed the carb and fitted the Amal carb and went for yet another run, the Bantam run like crap no response at any thing over half throttle but it didn't conk out, in desperation I removed the air filter and started it up again, what a transformation.

It would pull cleanly and rev out in each gear.  

This is far has I have got as I'm totally shattered. I am at a loss to what to check on this carb. The jets are the correct size the needle is in the correct position.

https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7547/27613665621_b2c3dc200e_b.jpg[/url]

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 19, 2016 - 11:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had a go at the carb settings again, moved the needle up one notch went for a run , it was very sluggish until I removed the air filter then it run good, I got back home and it would not start. I put the needle back to where it should be but the crank had filled up with petrol. I also noticed the throttle stop screw had disappeared some where along the journey.   I robbed the screw and spring from the Bitsa had a play about with the air screw and it started first kick but will still not run with the air filter fitted , so i tried the air filter of the bitsa thinking maybe some thing was wrong with the one i was using, complete desperation at this point, has you have probably guessed the same thing happens with this air filter. So it is not the air filter, I took the carb off and made sure nothing was blocked, it was as clean as a whistle.  I have put it back on and will have another ride to see if things have improved, if not I will take the carb of the bitsa and see if it works on the D5,

I hate carburettors. 

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1697
June 19, 2016 - 6:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

What sort of air filter are you using the D3/5 type or a D7 pancake type

D? - D10- D14 Bantams 350 AJS -500 Triumph http://bsanotru.....lfire.com/

Maddog Leary
Melbourne Australia
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1251
June 20, 2016 - 11:25 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you are using the d3/D5 air filter try washing the thing in clean petrol (bounce it up and down in the petrol in the open position, one way up then the other - do this for about five minutes, then squirt in a little sewing machine old after it has dried).  Old oil and dirt build up in the filter mesh and can seriously inhibit the engine.  Seeing as she runs ok when warm with the air filter(s) off, this could be an easy fix (has the other filter been cleaned?).  Had similar issue when I first ran my old girl in 86 and this seemed to fix it.

MD cheers

Maddog - 56 Swingarm D3 Major -  Major Works in progress! Machine is fighting against me every which way!

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 20, 2016 - 4:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

mike p5xbx said
What sort of air filter are you using the D3/5 type or a D7 pancake type  

The normal D3/D5 type.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: taplowman, chickensoup, Stoo63, smokeless, Ringting, Kevin Garner
12 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3417

Cornish Rooster: 3314

bart: 3130

Sprung Chicken: 2659

David Dale: 2485

Blue Heeler: 2402

Mags 1: 2356

Piquet: 2324