A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1958 D5
swalsh58
St. Mary's Bay, Kent
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1439
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 30, 2016 - 6:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

BSAdave said
Just realised as well, the speedo and cable are also missing, he did say this in the advert, but on my bitsa Bantam it has fitted the speedo for this bike, so I have bought a cheap generic one and will fit that to the Bitsa and use the correct one of the bitsa on this one.

How can I find out what colour it was when it left the factory ?  Still not sure about the red seat ?

If you let me have the frame number, I can tell you the colour it was when it left the factory, though I think D5's were either Bayard crimson or black.

Current bikes......1958 D5, a 77 Suzuki GT250 and a 77 Honda CB125S. I have a B175 in the workshop and a 76 Honda C90 waiting its turn. A 1980 Honda CB400N waiting for MOT.  Everyday ride is a 2011 Harley Davidson Sportster. 

jess steele
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1894
March 30, 2016 - 6:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That's a good project bike Davethumbs-up it's got all the right bits (well mostly)battery tray like you said is for a d7 so is wrong but there is a few on ebay, there is one on there at the moment  complete and is really cheap, currently @ £10 ...

Air filters are really hard to find but most d5's have the d7 filters on anyway (not mine though)keep an eye out on ebay last d5 air filter was listed as a  Villiers air filter and sold for £45...

yes swalsh they did only come in crimson or black.....

jess,he has a soft spot for a d5 or 3..

Oh and a grey d3 sa....................

Hans Kreuzen
Queensland Australia
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 860
March 30, 2016 - 9:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

BSAdave said

It has fitted a key operated fuel tap, I have never seen one of these before. You can just see it in the picture below. Lets hope i don't loose the key.

Nice project Dave, You better put that key somewhere safe in your shed, just so you don't lose it.roflroflroflout-a-here

1950 D1 plunger for daily use, Concourse 1948 D1 rigid, 1949 Aus. PMG replica D1 project and a 1949 rigid D1 survivor.

Kirkbybil
Guests
March 30, 2016 - 10:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mine has a red seat Dave:

rolling-chassis.jpg

The original Ad for the D5 showed a red seat which is why I liked it but I don't know if they ever left the factory like that.

I think I uploaded this before:

original-ad.jpgYours does look an odd shape though.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Derek's D5
Banter Editor
Club Librarian
Committee
Forum Posts: 1512
March 31, 2016 - 8:07 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dave's seat is a funny shape, and probably not a D5 original but I have seen this type of seat on other bantams, usually in grey. There was a D3 on ebay recently with one. Are they perhaps original seats that have been re-covered a long time ago, fitted with a different shaped cushion, or a replacement seat that owners could fit if they found the original seat uncomfortable? Cos the original is fairly flat and hard, and maybe not good for a bigger person with a bigger butt! Not implying anything, Dave! stick-poke_gif

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1486
March 31, 2016 - 9:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I Did wonder about that seat, and I have only sat on it for a short time, but it is very comfortable. I do like the way it swishes around the mudguard and frame.

"not good for a bigger person with a bigger butt!" steady, I'm only little, I'm only 5ft 16"

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 5, 2016 - 3:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Are D5's cursed, I have today off work, I did not intend to do too much to the D5, I removed the seat to flatten back the paint on the rear mudguard as there was some high spots, as I started the process I realised it was rust coming through with no choice it was sanded back to bare metal treated with krust and once this was cured I gave it a coat of primmer I went away to have some lunch when I came back all the paint had bubbled up, GRRRR. so it was all done again, i then turned my attention to the front mudguard, I removed it from the bike to find the underneath bit all rusty and the paint flaking off, same process was applied ,once the primmer had gone off I gave it a coat of stone chip. then it was onto the headlight, now not wanting the same thing to happen I stripped it back to bare metal. while all this was drying I took the bike outside, and do you think the thing would start. 

What is it with D5 that just don;t want to start?

I did intend just to sort out a few bits of paint work and nothing else. And just use the bike. Looks like that won't happen, having two projects on the go is not a good idea, I'm running out of space to put any thing.

Kirkbybil
Guests
April 5, 2016 - 3:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to my world laugh

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 5, 2016 - 6:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Some sort of good news it started up and run for two minutes then stopped it now refuses to start, I get a spark about every twenty kicks, so I continued on with the front mudguard, I ended up stripping this back to bare metal, don't ask.

** Please log in to view **

AlanInDevon
Guests
April 5, 2016 - 6:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

BIGGER SHED needed

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 5, 2016 - 7:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think your right,

Well good news it runs, I located the problem to a broken woodruff key on the rotor .....

I had a spare and it know works.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1524/26190929181_a47c55326c_c.jpg

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 5, 2016 - 7:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The video is not good.

feature=youtu.be

Derek's D5
Banter Editor
Club Librarian
Committee
April 5, 2016 - 9:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It sounds really good. A bit fast on the tickover, but not rattly or rough like mine. Nice one. And you've given me an idea of what I should check on mine, since it won't start.

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 6, 2016 - 9:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I could not think why I got a good spark every now and then, I tried the condenser checked the timing about a hundred times I even tried an Atom unit , with no choice i took the timing side apart, , it was soon apparent what  was wrong, the rotor was loose. and could be rotated around the crank, so it must be the laws of averages, that at some point it was in the correct place hence why it would spark every now and then.

Next on the list was, as I mentioned right at the beginning was the fuel leaking out of the tickler, This to was an easy fix. It was all down to a fibre washer fitted where there should not be one, see picture. Also the float bowel cover and been fixed on with Silicone and this was breaking down. I cleaned it all off and that was another leak fixed.

I have to take the timing side off again to fit the new gear box sprocket.   The PO had told me he fitted a new 420 chain and rear sprocket but the original pitch engine sprocket was still fitted. Also I need to sort out why the clutch is not engaging, change the oil, do the wiring, then try and get a V5.  and finish the painting.

carb.JPG

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1420
April 6, 2016 - 10:14 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

it  good  pracis   to  use medium   emery cloth   the  inside  of  the  taper  &  outside  the  crank sharf   wen  the  rotor  is  of  just  onec    to  tack  the  shine  off  also  most  new  woodruf  keys  need  filing  douwn  being  too  tall     ,,you  can  mack  your own  from  the  brass legs  on a  13  Amp  plug   &  a  old  brass   door key   

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 6, 2016 - 10:24 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you Sunny, i didn't know that.

Next puzzle, the seat.

I have the front bracket that and the rear bracket that fixes to the mudguard then there are two bolts that screw into the frame, the seat sits on these, this does not look right to me. what are they for ? how should the seat fix here. The other issue is the handle bar clamp, it has a hole in the middle of it, should that be there ?  I have a spare with no hole in it, which is the correct one

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3319
April 6, 2016 - 10:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

BSAdave said
...Next puzzle, the seat.

I have the front bracket that and the rear bracket that fixes to the mudguard then there are two bolts that screw into the frame, the seat sits on these, this does not look right to me. what are they for ?

...handlebar clamp, it has a hole in the middle of it, should that be there ?  I have a spare with no hole in it, which is the correct one

I think the seat should have a couple of rubber pads that rest on the two bolts you're not sure of, just for added support.

The yoke cover with a hole in looks to be a PO mod, the 'whole' one looks better than the 'hole' one.

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn. 1950 D1 engine being rebuilt (slowly).

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 6, 2016 - 11:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you for that, I can't figure out why the hole is there, it is too small to get a socket in to tighten the steering head nut. strange.

Derek's D5
Banter Editor
Club Librarian
Committee
April 6, 2016 - 1:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The holey one is for a bulb horn, I think, which was fitted to bantams with no electric horn. There should be a couple of rubber pads where those bolts are. Mine didn't have the bolts, but when I ordered new pads from C&D they came with two bolts. Also, you see those two holes under the seat? I found some rubber pads that fit into those holes, and they line up with the rubber pads on the frame. Otherwise you'll find that the seat doesn't actually touch the rubber pads on the frame. I'll see if I can find some pics. By the way, the pads from C&D don't look like the original ones. I think I altered them.

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 6, 2016 - 1:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Dookie, Who are C&D

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223