A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Electronics 101 question
VTDave
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 19
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 17, 2021 - 1:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry for being so basic here.  

I've got the wiring diagrams for the my D1 (see attached) and am stuck on where to run one of the wires.  I'm using a rectifier so I can include a battery, and my switch is a replacement switch (see photo) for the standard Wipac.  If you look at the ignition generator photo attached, here's what I've done:  

white wire, from #3 on the generator, to one of the "alternator" connectors on the rectifier

light green wire from #4 on the generator to the other "alternator" connector on the rectifier

earth from the battery running to the "earth" connector on the rectifier

negative brown wire from the battery running to the "outlet" on the rectifier

On the switch:

light green from rectifier ("alternator") running to #7 on switch

white from rectifier ("alternator") running to #1 on switch 

"outlet" from rectifier running to #3 on switch

My questions: 

The wiring diagram shows the red wire from #1 on the generator running to the switch, but I don't see where it would go.  When I got the bike, the red wire ran up and out of the generator, alongside the HT lead. Wasn't connected to anything.  

I also see that in the diagram of the generator, it shows #2 as the ground, but there appears to be no wire running from #2 anywhere.  Is that grounded as is?  

Thanks.
Dave

VTDave
Second Gear User
Club Member
April 17, 2021 - 1:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry--user technical difficulties uploading photos.  Here they are.  I hope.178a98d0b90d6a9557e1.jpg1782c5160acaa591f011.jpg

VTDave
Second Gear User
Club Member
April 17, 2021 - 1:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here's the photo of the switch. 

IMG_20210417_081340665.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1813
April 17, 2021 - 4:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

hi  Dave   the  geny  in the  photo  is  wiered  for  a      [    Dyrect  lighting  A/C  system ] to mack the  geny  serv a D / C battery  system  you  must

tack  AWAY   the bear wier    thats from  the  earth post no 2 & post no3  to  use  the  wiering  dyagram you have      [post no 2 is erathed   with a  screw   from  the  back  of the  genys  alloy  face plate   

the  switch  you  show in the photo  ISNOT   for   the  dyagram  you have     you  need to   identify    wich  headlamp   [  by  the size of  the switch hole

it has  ]  as to witch   switch    you need     [ a big  hole  erly   D 1&3   a  small  hole  a  D 7  modle  switch ]

VTDave
Second Gear User
Club Member
April 17, 2021 - 4:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks, Sunny.  Bare wire removed. Easy enough.  
Yes, I do understand that the diagram is for the Wipac switch.  I have a big hole in the headlamp--early D1.  But, I don't have the original Wipac switch.  I have a modern replacement that clearly is different.  

Can you point me in a direction for a wiring diagram that will work with that switch?  The diagram I received from the supplier (in a separate reply above) shows, I believe, where everything attaches except for the pesky red wire from the generator. 
Many thanks.
Dave

sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 18, 2021 - 8:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

hi  Dave  i  cannot  find  a  dyagram  for  your switch    so  i think you  will  have  to go with a  NO batery  system   to  reduce  the  number of wiers 

for  it   ,have you had  a  look in the  clubs    on line   parts and  info   ect   on the  members  only    bit  on  the home  page

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
Forum Posts: 1239
April 18, 2021 - 8:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looks like you are trying to marry an incompatible switch to an incompatible wiring harness to an incompatible generator. Not a recipe destined for success usually. As Sunny says, best to stick with direct lighting for the moment, although I don't have a clue how that would work with that switch. Perhaps better to change to the WipacS0781 switch and get a bowl to fit it which should be easier and much cheaper than the set up you currently have without the proper switch? Bantam electrics are notoriously fickle even when you stick to the standard equipment in standard set-up. Changing the set-up very often leads to all manner of unwanted results. THe Forum is bursting a t the seams with topics from users who have tried (very often unsuccessfully) to "adapt" their electrical system and have ended up reverting to original to preserve their sanity 🙂

'55 D3 Battery; '58 Square Four (project); '59 D1 direct lighting plunger; '59 Tiger Cub; '60 5TA;  '76 FS1-E; '91 GTR 1000;  '97 Honda Sky SGX50.

VTDave
Second Gear User
Club Member
April 18, 2021 - 1:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks, everyone.  Stoo, I looked at he Wipac switch you mentioned, and I'm pretty sure it's too small for the hole in the top of my headlamp.  Is the bowl you're referring to something that would allow it to adapt to the larger hole?  If so, any idea where I might get one of those?  

Sticking with the standard setup makes sense, especially at the point. 

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1653
April 18, 2021 - 2:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

your best bet is to buy the correct Wipac switch for your bike/headlamp
they are expensive but you are not really going to be able to wire that Lucas switch with battery wiring and the stator you have,
and fitting the Lucas one in the headlamp is also a bodge

** Please log in to view **

D? - D10- D14 Bantams 350 AJS -500 Triumph http://bsanotru.....lfire.com/

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3422
April 18, 2021 - 3:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

mike p5xbx said
...** Please log in to view **

Add a zero and you can have my D3!wow

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
April 18, 2021 - 7:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You might try this...

** Please log in to view **

'55 D3 Battery; '58 Square Four (project); '59 D1 direct lighting plunger; '59 Tiger Cub; '60 5TA;  '76 FS1-E; '91 GTR 1000;  '97 Honda Sky SGX50.

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
April 20, 2021 - 8:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Or ** Please log in to view **

VTDave
Second Gear User
Club Member
April 20, 2021 - 10:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks, Stoo!
Dave

Number6
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 495
April 22, 2021 - 8:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've got that switch (Lucas U39 ?)

I had a think about it and today was suddenly inspired - I labelled a photo of it to make sure I got it right

U39-Switch-Wiring-Battery-Lighting.jpg

Can't see why it wouldn't work.

Because of same apparent difficulty I was going to run my headlamp off AC (the rest being rectified to DC and battery) but doing it as above, it can be made to switch the high power coils in and out for the headlamp as well.

This means my headlamp can be powered by battery as well, so not totally dependent on engine output. Win win! laugh

Mike H --

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.

sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 23, 2021 - 9:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well  done  Number6   grate thinking        and  photo    

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: derek50, Davidm1164