I eventually got around to my brake "improvement" project on my D1, the front brake was becoming very poor with the handlebar lever coming back almost to the 'bars even with adjusters pulled up more and more. So I have had some oversize linings fitted, I used a company called Safetek which I have used before and found to do a good and quick job, the linings they fit always seem to me to be superior to "off the shelf" brake shoes.
I had a set of new linings and found that the material thickness was 4mm, so I took the front wheel off measured the drum diameter which is obviously worn, and measured the diameter of the brake with the new (4mm ) shoes fitted and worked out that I could fit shoes with 5mm thickness ok. Sent two pairs of shoes off to Saftek on last monday, thursday they rang me to say they were ready, paid over the phone and received them on friday, then fitted them on saturday. Just for good measure I fitted a new front brake cable, so far I'm fairly pleased with the result a real improvement and the adjusters either end are back to a reasonable position, they still need a few rides to bed in a bit more though.
I appreciate this is not a substitute for having the brake drums machined and an insert fitted but I reckon I should get a few more years riding with this " mod "
NB. If anyone is thinking about doing this bear in mind 1mm on a brake shoe will equal 2mm on the overall diameter and you need to check your brake drum diameter to see if whatever increase will still fit !
BSA Bantam D1 "150" in use regularly often as general purpose transport, quite a few other bikes as well. Cornwall Area Rep.
Most Users Ever Online: 223
Currently Browsing this Page:
Cornish Rooster: 3310
Blue Heeler: 2698
Sprung Chicken: 2653
David Dale: 2484
Mags 1: 2335
Guest Posters: 1477
Administrators: Bantam-Super, JMD, Springs, Stoo63