A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Amal 523 tickler
larryc
burnley lancashire
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 47
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 12, 2020 - 4:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a 523/001 carb on my re-build D1 engine but the tickler is missing I have looked on FAQ and there is plenty of float /tickler stuff but it is the type on the attached photo, with the screwed down spring going through the tickler, (photo from previous post on 523 carb) does anyone know where one can be sourced I have looked on the amal website but they all seem to be the tickler with a spring and split pin to secure the spring.

Maybe there is a conversion to the spring and split pin type, if so will this be the correct length to sink the float...… I will be grateful for any help.

Larrytickler.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Riding a D1 springer with a D3 engine, 2 x more D1's being built from bits one will be a GPO lookalike the other I am just collecting bits for at the moment

Blue Heeler
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2247
February 12, 2020 - 5:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Larry,

These chaps ** Please log in to view ** should have everything you need, in keeping with the original function and look for these little Amals.

Personally I`d avoid the mod that uses the screw-in brass threaded item, looks ugly to me...maybe ok in horticulture or marine, but not so pretty on a Bantam.

If you`re still stuck, then I`ve made ticklers, so can talk you through it...but hopefully they`ll have your bits at reasonable cost, down in Braintree?

Good luck

Blue

larryc
burnley lancashire
Second Gear User
Club Member
February 12, 2020 - 5:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Blue Heeler said
Hi Larry,

These chaps ** Please log in to view ** should have everything you need, in keeping with the original function and look for these little Amals.

Personally I`d avoid the mod that uses the screw-in brass threaded item, looks ugly to me...maybe ok in horticulture or marine, but not so pretty on a Bantam.

If you`re still stuck, then I`ve made ticklers, so can talk you through it...but hopefully they`ll have your bits at reasonable cost, down in Braintree?

Good luck

Blue  

Thanks Blue, I have contacted them with an email, fingers crossed they may have one. thanks for your help.

Larry

Riding a D1 springer with a D3 engine, 2 x more D1's being built from bits one will be a GPO lookalike the other I am just collecting bits for at the moment

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3313
February 12, 2020 - 8:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

larryc said
...Maybe there is a conversion to the spring and split pin type, if so will this be the correct length to sink the float...

You don't need to 'sink the float'. All that is required is to push the float slightly down in order for fuel to flow. Some think the full length tickler can actually damage (ie dent) the float from over enthusiastic use. As it's description says, it's a tickler, nothing more. A short length of aluminium / plastic / etc and a home made spring would be perfectly adequate.

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn. 1950 D1 engine being rebuilt (slowly).

TallGuy
Just east of York.
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 104
February 12, 2020 - 9:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

larryc said
I have a 523/001 carb on my re-build D1 engine but the tickler is missing I have looked on FAQ and there is plenty of float /tickler stuff but it is the type on the attached photo, with the screwed down spring going through the tickler, (photo from previous post on 523 carb) does anyone know where one can be sourced I have looked on the amal website but they all seem to be the tickler with a spring and split pin to secure the spring.

Maybe there is a conversion to the spring and split pin type, if so will this be the correct length to sink the float...… I will be grateful for any help.

Larrytickler.jpg  

Hi Larry,

not the same carb number but this one on ebay looks very similar and off a D1..  look on middle photo on ebay page.

** Please log in to view **

Not sure if it helps. 🙂

larryc
burnley lancashire
Second Gear User
Club Member
February 13, 2020 - 7:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks all, looks like Villiers spares have one £4 + £2 postage he will post it tomorrow, cheap enough rather than making one, all good suggestions though thankyou for your help (again the forum has been a great help to me as I learn about Bantams)

Regards Larry

larryc
burnley lancashire
Second Gear User
Club Member
February 15, 2020 - 6:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Blue and cocorico

The tickler arrived this morning from the chap you recommended, great service!

Fitted tickler and carb now on the bike, I will be trying to get her going over the next few days, I have a spark so fingers crossed, I will fit the old down pipe, no silencer yet so it might make a racket!

cheers Larry

Blue Heeler
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2247
February 15, 2020 - 8:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice work Larry. Yeah good company, so glad these little firms are still operating. Have you got a silencer in the pipeline? Pun intended 🙂

Blue

larryc
burnley lancashire
Second Gear User
Club Member
February 16, 2020 - 3:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Blue Heeler said
Nice work Larry. Yeah good company, so glad these little firms are still operating. Have you got a silencer in the pipeline? Pun intended 🙂

Blue  

He He, I am a bit baffled where to get one......

filled the float chamber this aft, tickler works fine so I gave it a few kicks..... nothing, the plug stayed dry, so investigated carb and blew through bottom union, re fitted, and popped a bit of fuel in cylinder, a few kicks and it fired, then ran for a few seconds, I need a new throttle cable as the old one is US and sticks, so will order one today....happy days

Larry

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: b175er, goldenflash, Stoo63, Tezza175, bantammad, Atco
2 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

cocorico: 3313

bart: 3130

Sprung Chicken: 2654

David Dale: 2485