A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Hello from a 1954 D3 owner in Southampton (UK).
Rogereld
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 6
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 12, 2018 - 11:41 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Greetings.  I have made a few posts on the Bantam facebook group recently but have now discovered everything I post there is being sent to all those on my facebook friends list rather than just the members of the facebook group. As most of my friends and family have no interest in the finer details of BSA Bantam mechanics or repair problems I have concluded this is a more appropriate place to seek support and advice. 

Now to work out how to add pictures..

[Image Can Not Be Found]

I have found the insert/edit image button, but it opens a box asking for source. The images are in Photos on my mac, and on my phone, but what do I type in the source box? Can I "drag and drop"?

Rogereld
Forum User
Site Member
June 12, 2018 - 12:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here it is, last used in 2003 but recently started after 15+ years in storage with 15 year old petrol in the tank.. [Permission to view this image is denied]

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
  • sp_PlupImage IMG_3029.jpg(187 KB)
Blue Heeler
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1683
June 12, 2018 - 12:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome.

A starter from the off,sounds like a very sound motor.Very nice,all present and correct,unlike my `54 D3 currently. You can carry a pillion if needs be,mine has a solo seat fitted at the moment.

What are your plans with her? I`ve always used a half-worn brass brush to go over surface rust,it leaves a light film of brass and them wipe with oil.Your front rim may need the steel wire brush/pan scourer treatment first....if you go down the oily rag route?

Blue

cocorico
Central France
Forum Posts: 2340
June 12, 2018 - 1:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to the forum. Nice bike - as Blue says, if you go down the oily rag route you retain all of the bike's history. It would be a shame to lose it in a full restoration as it all seems to be there and you may be surprised by the quality of the paint under that grime and surface rust.

Rogereld
Forum User
Site Member
June 13, 2018 - 4:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the welcome. I bought the bike for £20 in 1978 as my first motor transport, and know the previous owner. It has suffered a bit from being covered with old sheets and tarpaulin between 2004 and 2018 but I am brushing off the dust and surface corrosion. The alloy engine covers and cooling fins were a bit white and crusty but I have been surprised how well it has survived.

Fresh fuel, new spark plug and cap, and a dismantled and cleaned carburetter has got the engine running OK.  The front brake always juddered, and I remember it being a problem in 1978 but lived with it.  This week I took it round to a friend who has a milling machine and the brake drum has had a skim. It was definitely not round when we started, but it is better now than it has ever been in my 40+ years of ownership.

[Permission to view this image is denied]

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
  • sp_PlupImage IMG_3167.jpg(136 KB)
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 98

Currently Online:
32 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3304

Anderzander: 3172