A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Weeping Head Gasket.
Mannanan
Leigh On Sea, Essex. Uk.
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 118
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 4, 2018 - 6:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My B175 is back on the road after a rebuild and is running well after sorting the usual little niggles. I have done mainly small journeys so as not to overheat or labour the engine and now have 120 miles on the clock. The only remaining niggle is a weeping head gasket. I have smoothed the head and barrel surfaces with emery paper, been careful on the torque settings, and the gasket is a new one. Always weeps at the 12 o’ clock point directly above the exhaust sealing ring. Definitely not weeping from the exhaust which is good but it would be nice to sort this weeping. Don’t think it’s affecting performance much but just wondering if this is a common problem. Thanks.

Ed.

Blue Heeler
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1958
October 4, 2018 - 9:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bit of gasket goo would probably do the trick,seeing as it doesn`t sound too serious.

I always use a smidgen of goo on all my Bantam gaskets.I miss Golden Hermetite,but the silver stuff I use is fine.

Maybe there`s a little dip in the head face or it`s slightly warped.See if it rocks on a glass table.

Cover cyl head gasket face with engineers blue and scrape a steel rule over it and see if any areas remain unscathed,ie dips/crevices.I use turmeric powder made into a paste,if I can`t find any blue.

Did you re-torque the head nuts after your first run?

Blue

cocorico
Central France
Forum Posts: 2533
October 4, 2018 - 9:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Blue Heeler said
...Did you re-torque the head nuts after your first run?

Blue  

ie - while it's good and hot.

Mannanan
Leigh On Sea, Essex. Uk.
Forum User
Club Member
October 4, 2018 - 9:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

No obvious warp in the head. Had it on a good flat surface and seems fine. Next time I remove the head I will do the scrape with engineers blue to check. Yes, good and hot before I re-torqued the head, it needed another 1lb or 2lb. Guess I could try some Threebond with the head gasket but my gut feeling is it should seal with just the gasket. Having said that, I had to use both gasket and Threebond to get a proper seal on the primary case so perhaps I should not be so prissy.

Peterg
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1108
October 4, 2018 - 11:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hylomar is good for high temperature areas

stubaker58
Sunny Felixstowe
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 276
October 5, 2018 - 9:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I used threebond to good effect on my base gasket where there is a small ding in the mating surface on the crankcase.

D7/14 hybrid (4 speed with D7 crank etc.) on the road, D10 Bushman awaiting rebuilding.

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1645
October 5, 2018 - 3:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Should not really need any sealing goo.

Did you tighten very evenly crossways??

My Bantam video              https://www.you.....jpOFmzRZRI

Mannanan
Leigh On Sea, Essex. Uk.
Forum User
Club Member
October 5, 2018 - 3:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes Nick, all done slowly and evenly across the head. Been out on it again today as it’s glorious weather down here. Put another 20 miles on it and the weep is no worse but it still niggles me. Another try with the wet &dry I think and I probably will resort to a smear of Threebond as well.

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Forum User
Club Member
October 5, 2018 - 6:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

When you say emery...are you doing that on a total flat surface...no good be hand wont be flat...you need a thick piece of glass.

Soon as the 3 bond burns away...it will leak again...if its flat and not cracked....you are using a new gasket arnt you?

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2257
October 5, 2018 - 6:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You could also try using the earlier D7 type head gasket, it's more compressible than the ally ones?

Four now on the road and at least several in bits.

Mannanan
Leigh On Sea, Essex. Uk.
Forum User
Club Member
October 5, 2018 - 11:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mags, that’s something that struck me. I really don’t like the look or feel of the ally gasket. I would prefer a copper type gasket so may consider that. However, whilst the good weather prevails down here, I am just going to ride it as it is for the time being.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
October 6, 2018 - 6:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mannanan said
Mags, that’s something that struck me. I really don’t like the look or feel of the ally gasket. I would prefer a copper type gasket so may consider that. However, whilst the good weather prevails down here, I am just going to ride it as it is for the time being.  

The D7 ones are of an unknown to me substance, but appear to be some sort of fibre and resin perhaps mix, no copper involved I would say, at an educated  guess.

Mannanan
Leigh On Sea, Essex. Uk.
Forum User
Club Member
October 10, 2018 - 12:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well in the end I used the gasket with a smear of Threebond 1215. Just done another 20 miles in glorious sunshine and not even a hint of a weep. Nice and dry all around the head so that’s a full result. Running in going well, opened her up a bit and saw 50mph on the clock. Wouldn’t want to have to stop in a hurry with that front brake though. 

Ed.

AdrianS
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 44
October 23, 2018 - 11:41 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've always been unlucky with all the Bantams I've had. All of them has had a blow from the Head Gasket usually from the 12 o'clock position.

My D7 many years ago had one with the fibre gaskets; my current D14 blows a little from the same place.

I've ground the head on a piece of thick glass with valve grinding paste; changed the head studs in case they had stretched; even had a new head when I had  my D7. Still had a tiny leak.

In the end I just ignored it.

wuckfitracing
Worksop
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 5
October 24, 2018 - 7:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So I think Im going to ignore mine too, after several attempts and another head it still does it.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
October 24, 2018 - 10:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You could try annealing any ally head gaskets by simply heating until ordinary soap turns brown put onto it, then quenching in cold water.

Or even try using two head gaskets, the D14 has a compression ratio of about 9.5 or 10.5 to 1 I believe, so might even help a little in taming it down a bit also.

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Forum User
Club Member
October 25, 2018 - 9:24 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Cant think why just one gasket wont seal it...unless the barrel matting surface needs looking at.

Dont suppose the head nuts are bottoming on the long stud threads are they maybe needing a washer.

mikef
Chatham Kent
Club Technical Advisor
Committee
Forum Posts: 738
October 25, 2018 - 4:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Whilst on the subject of head gaskets, I noticed that the workshop manual for the D14 states that it requires a head gasket thickness of 0.050".
It states that it is possible to use two 0.025". Thus making up 0.050"
However, no one at present is selling 0.025" head gaskets as far as I know. It is only possible to obtain 0.040" or 0.060".
It is a long time ago that I rebuilt my D14 engine so cannot remember what mine is. Just one of life mysteries.

Mike.

GCOBBY
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 47
November 27, 2018 - 12:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

With any rebuild  cleanliness of all components is essential . Only needs a small piece of muck to be on surface to cause a problem ,or a small amount of damage to the gasket , not a fan of the paper type cylinder head gaskets, alloy are much better.

Blue Heeler
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1958
November 28, 2018 - 12:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here`s some tips being discussed on old type head gaskets...[Permission to view this media is denied]

I`ve annealed plenty of copper gaskets because it rearranges the molecules to be squashable again,but never done an alloy gasket and wouldn`t quench due to its composition.

Not used paint on a head gasket,but have on other gaskets where it worked very well.

Blue

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 98

Currently Online: Norfolkjack, BazF
19 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3304

Anderzander: 3210

bart: 3128

Sprung Chicken: 2650