A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Fitting a keyswitch to a D14/4 - locking your bike.
IrishD14
Irish
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 22
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 12, 2018 - 11:25 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

This question is related to a recent posting of mine.

Has any forum member fitted a key-switch to a D14/4. I don't think a simple on/off switch really cuts it for security any more ...not since the days of 'Heartbeat' ..

Lots of people here use their bikes regularly .. when you nip to the shops do you lock it each time ..how? a big chain...u-lock ? Anyone ever fit a small alarm ?

Blue Heeler
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1907
June 12, 2018 - 12:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I`ve fitted tucked away battery isolation switches to several bikes and cars over the years(worked ok for me,but some say it`s another thing to go wrong).

Wont stop bike being wheeled off or chucked in the back of a van though,so plastic-coated chain wherever on the bike works for you,attached to lamppost/railings whatever.I use a compact plastic-coated mulit-coiled wire lock.It gets used for my mountain bike,m/cycles and even metal arch front gate ....but wont stop those who use small cordless cutting devices.

I`ve bought several small alarms off fleabay.I like the ones that are activated by pulling a pin,they are great,you can attach the alarm body under the tank or seat etc and then a small discreet lead/chain to handlebars,rear spoke etc.Also attached one to the drivers door,alarm tucked up on the sun visor of classic truck I was borrowing.Initially bought as a shed alarm.

I haven`t tried this one yet....[Permission to view this media is denied]
the one I`m mucking about with as I type this is similar and has ear-splitting siren ...and a flashing light.

I still have the tripwire blank cartridge hammer-pin kit I bought in the `80s...a potential thief will need a change of underwear if that goes off on them.Cleared by the police force at the time....the device,not me 🙂

Blue

IrishD14
Irish
Forum User
Site Member
June 13, 2018 - 1:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks BH..

Did not come across the grenade security system before might get one - it'll do my mountain bike too.

I've noticed that even on the few short spins into the local village people quickly gather around any vintage bike to rubberneck it, some kind of security is required - a lightweight lock and chain might only keep honest men away but its better than nothing. 

laugh Had to laugh at the blank cartridge device - imagine putting one under the seat and the expression on the face of the would be thief when it detonates - followed by ...confusedfrantic checking of the undercarriage to make sure he's not converted to Caitlin Jenner

Blue Heeler
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1907
June 13, 2018 - 1:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Best security device to guard against someone jumping on a bike and clearing off I ever saw,was a retractable spike in cutaway on a low-rider single seat...nasty!

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2193
June 13, 2018 - 7:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You can get an easily installed keyed on/off switch that would suit a Bantam from ebay for less than a fiver, under the kid's quad bike section, that's where I got one a couple of years ago. Not fitted yet though...

Simply interrupt the wire going to the points, or you could interrupt the battery supply etc. live or earth.

Four now on the road and at least several in bits.

IrishD14
Irish
Forum User
Site Member
June 16, 2018 - 6:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks mags.. I will look those up . A generic vintage car one might also work.. 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 98

Currently Online: sunny
25 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3304

Anderzander: 3218

bart: 3108

Sprung Chicken: 2650

David Dale: 2494