A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
D14 Front Left Chain Guard Bracket
AWJDThumper
Abingdon
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 19
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 16, 2018 - 9:19 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've just started a D14 restoration and, before completely dismantling the bike, I'm trying to repair any missing or damaged brackets or lugs on the bike. The chain guard has two brackets either side along its length but on mine the bracket on the left-hand side nearer the front has broken off and was obviously not serving any purpose when I bought the bike. I would be grateful if someone could tell me the purpose of my missing bracket and provide a picture of it in use if possible.

Sponge
Lancashire
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 25
May 16, 2018 - 11:44 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Thumper,

You only need two brackets (mounting points) for a D14 chainguard. These are the pronged fork thing at the front that is retained by a bolt into the crankcase over the gearbox sprocket and the large triangular bracket near the middle that bolts straight onto a hole in the rear mudguard.

The third bracket was used on D7 pastoral and road models to hold the rear brake light switch, although I have never seen it in use for real, most people seem to mount the brake light switch on the rear pillion footrest mounting. 

I think you have a D7 chain guard on a D14 bike. I think that you can safely ignore it.  

Les

AWJDThumper
Abingdon
Forum User
Site Member
May 16, 2018 - 5:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Les - I assumed it probably had something to do with the brake light switcch. I think it is a genuine D14 chainguard because it's identical to what is shown in the parts book.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2161
May 16, 2018 - 8:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The second standing up chainguard bracket on a D7 is for mounting the bottom edge of the outer battery cover.

Yes, you may well have a D7 chainguard there.

Four now on the road and at least several in bits.

AWJDThumper
Abingdon
Forum User
Site Member
May 17, 2018 - 7:03 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The extract is from the 1968 D14/4 parts book showing the chainguard with two brackets which I believe is the same as a D10. I have just had a look at a D7 parts book and it doesn't show the second bracket which seems to confirm mine is a genuine D14 chainguard.

I have now repaired the broken bracket and will see whether the stop light switch that came with the bike fits this bracket.

AWJDThumper
Abingdon
Forum User
Site Member
May 17, 2018 - 7:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

[Permission to view this image is denied]

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
  • sp_PlupImage Chainguard.jpg(21 KB)
AWJDThumper
Abingdon
Forum User
Site Member
May 17, 2018 - 8:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've just refitted the mudguard and it looks as though the repaired LH bracket may not be tall enough. I would be grateful if someone could tell me the approximate height of the brake light switch mounting hole in this bracket is above the top of the chainguard.

sunny
Norfolk
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 932
May 17, 2018 - 9:08 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

the   center   bracket   is  NOT   a  switch  bracket   it  the  nearside   side cover     bracket   this  center  braket  has  a  1/4 "  nut  welded  on  the  back,, the  hight  is  the  same  as  the  side  cover bracket    coz  thay   meat   serport   together

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2161
May 17, 2018 - 9:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The (proper) brake light switch on later Bantams in mounted on a small egg shaped bracket that is bolted to the pillion footrest nearside.

Four now on the road and at least several in bits.

Sponge
Lancashire
Forum User
Club Member
May 17, 2018 - 11:46 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Guys, I stand corrected and please forgive me if I have caused confusion.  Yes.... it would make sense that the mystery third bracket is something to do with the side panels but I have never used it when I have had one.   I have always considered it to be something to do with the brake light switch.  Sorry.  

I can confirm that the WIPAC brake light switch mounts on the pillion footrest bracket.  Not sure which way around it is supposed to go though .....

Les    

Blue Heeler
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1833
May 17, 2018 - 11:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a brace of G-regger D14s and although both are in different levels of disassembly,I can confirm from memory(haha), that the brake light switch on both fits to same anchor point as in No5 posting in this link... [Permission to view this media is denied]
without looking at the one I bought a couple on months after its 6th birthday,which still has the brakelight switch in position,I can`t confirm whether it was fitted behind the footrest bracket or not.The one in the link looks untidy,which makes me wonder if it`s position has been modified slightly.Some Bantams have the spring clamped to the brake rod,but without checking various models in the lock-up,I can`t say which.Never owned a Bantam where the brakelight switch clamps to that extraneous mid-bracket on the chainguard....but then I`ve yet to have the pleasure of a Bronco/pastoral 🙂 Over the years,owners will modify all sorts,but the Dec `68 D14 I bought in early `75, I`m pretty sure has not had its brakelight switch tampered with and is still in the correct position now.I can body-surf over piles of bikes,boxes and spares to check it out if you`re really desperate 🙂

Blue

AWJDThumper
Abingdon
Forum User
Site Member
May 17, 2018 - 11:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just to recap: the parts book picture shows the chainguard for a D10 and D14 bantam with two brackets welded to it. The RH bracket attaches the chainguard to the sub-frame and tool box. The LH bracket must be for the stop light switch since there doesn't seem to be any other purpose for it.

I think what is causing confusion is that the D7 and the later B175 Bantams did not have the brake light switch bracket on the chainguard - it was just the D10 and D14 that had it - all according to the various parts books.

Blue Heeler
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1833
May 17, 2018 - 11:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Edit: Oh right you`re sorted,good 🙂

sunny
Norfolk
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 932
May 17, 2018 - 4:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

sorry   chaps   you   must  NOT    acceped   the  printed   imiges     in   the  parts  books as  the   bible   as  the  same  imige  like  the  chaine  gard   can  have   2   or  3   part  numbers   i  think   you  will   find  about  5  part numbers    and  2   imiges   from  the  D7  onward ,,,,dont   forget  never  say  never   wen  a   bantam  is   the   topic

AWJDThumper
Abingdon
Forum User
Site Member
May 17, 2018 - 5:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have restored most of the BSA models from the 1960's and in my experience with the non-Bantam models, the parts books are usually very accurate and can be relied upon. In the case of the D10 and D14 Supreme models, only 1 chainguard is listed - namely, 90-7736. The one fitted to my D14 appears to be correct for the model and the LH bracket must be for the stop light switch. I will see if I can find a picture that shows the switch mounted in this way.

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1318
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
May 17, 2018 - 5:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As everyone have said
the outside bracket with a threaded hole is fitted but not used on a D14
and the brake light switch is fitted to the rear footrest bracket
Photo!

• sp_PlupImage bk-switch.JPG(486 KB)
  • sp_PlupImage bkswith.jpg(154 KB)

D? - D10- D14 Bantams 350 AJS -500 Triumph http://bsanotru.....lfire.com/

AWJDThumper
Abingdon
Forum User
Site Member
May 17, 2018 - 5:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I found this pic from a previous set of posts on this subject and the club technical advisor believed this was the factory set up. However, you can see the LH chainguard bracket just below the tool box and this begs the question as to what its purpose was fitted to the D10 and D14 models if not to mount the stop light switch?

• sp_PlupImage Brake-Light-Switch.jpg(122 KB)
Sponge
Lancashire
Forum User
Club Member
May 17, 2018 - 9:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Guys, Although I have already retracted my original assertion about a stop light switch, all I can offer to this growing debate is that the WIPAC stop light switch, when mounted on the pillion footrest of a D14/B175, is very vulnerable to damage by the pillion passenger's left boot / shoe. But when mounted up on the chainguard bracket  it might be tucked away out of harm. This is just a theory for now as I have never mounted one there but I might have a go to see how it works out. 

The BSA D10 workshop manual states that the chainguard front bracket is for holding the chainguard onto a bracket on the left sidecover. Having never owned a (complete) D10 I have no idea what the sidecover and this other mystery bracket actually look like. 

I would also suggest, or consider, if the chainguard was a common part shared with the Bantam Tiger Cub which, I think, was on sale during the lifespan of the D10 /D14 and a study of that model might yield an answer as to what the mystery bracket is for.   

Les (Sponge)  

AWJDThumper
Abingdon
Forum User
Site Member
May 18, 2018 - 7:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Les. Thanks for that. This might all sound a bit arcane to some but I try to restore BSA bikes to their original factory configuration and I therefore need to establish precisely what this mystery bracket was for. I will certainly look at the Bantam Cub aspect to see what the similarities were. The other clue might be that the tool box cover may have had a cut out or was sculptured in the vicinity of this bracket  - I've seen an example of this and the parts book seems to show it if you look carefully. Was this to provide clearance for the stop light switch? However, another possibility is that the bracket was originally used on the D10 to take the tool box cover bolt and, when they changed the tinware for the D14, they left the bracket on the chainguard which was then superfluous? If someone has a D10, it would be interesting to know how the toolbox cover attaches.

AWJDThumper
Abingdon
Forum User
Site Member
May 18, 2018 - 9:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think I am now convinced that the chainguard bracket in question is for the D10 tool box cover securing bolt which can be seen in the attached picture. Therefore, although it was still manufactured on the chainguards for the D14, it served no purpose by then since the toolbox design had been changed with the cover now retained using Oddie fasteners. Despite repairing the bracket, I think I will now grind it off since it shouldn't have been there when the bike left the factory!

• sp_PlupImage D10.jpg(287 KB)
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 98

Currently Online: mike p5xbx
24 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3304

Anderzander: 3213