A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Maddogs 1956 D3 Swing-Arm Budget Restoration
Maddog Leary
Melbourne Australia
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1251
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 2, 2016 - 10:26 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, it's been a while...  No progress on the bike.  Having been 'let go' employment wise, without a payout a while back and being 50+ not a lot of companies want people willing to work, who don't suffer Monday morning hangovers and who don't have kids needing to be picked up or cared for when sick.  They want younger people who they don't have to pay full adult wages too and will P*ss off when they get bored..... Don't understand that logic! (Sorry, diatribe over..)

Back to the D3.  The so called professional automotive paint shop I got my 'painting advice' from royally S*rewed me.  The under coat/primer was incompatible with the enamel top coat.  As a result (despite following/relying on the advice and spraying instructions) the under coat ended up shrinking/reacting to the top coat creating a 'crazy paving' effect over all the surfaces painted (minus tank).  Will have to strip and redo......

If I ever meet that bloke Murphy, there will be Murders!!!!!!

MD ranting

PS

Sad thing of it is, I don't have any dosh to buy the beer to drown my sorrows!!!! LOL

Maddog - 56 Swingarm D3 Major -  Major Works in progress! Machine is fighting against me every which way!

Piquet
West Norfolk
Admin
Forum Posts: 2214
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
November 2, 2016 - 2:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I know it's not what you wanted, but to allow you to progress, why not just rub it down and spray with rattle cans (test an unseen area first)? Hopefully, being able to assemble it into a bike again will cheer you up/encourage you. Then when things improve you can paint again. At least you will have a bike in the meantime.

thumbs-up

I'm not a complete idiot ............................................ some parts are missing.

Maddog Leary
Melbourne Australia
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1251
April 16, 2018 - 10:28 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well after a long lay off, employment wise and a knackered lower bicep tendon issue (plus residual compacted nerve damage) - crap year n a half. I might have some spare dosh for the old girl.  I'm thinking I'm going to have to start again in regards to the paint work.  The 'crazy paving' paintwork is going to have to go and I'm thinking of going with the 'Dove grey' I originally hand painted her with in the 80's as a student.  Have had it matched (rattle cans).....  Pleased that the original paint shop that advised me (and stuffed me) are now out of business......  Hopefully some updates soon.  Bones, stand by the telephone! LOL

MD cheers

Maddog - 56 Swingarm D3 Major -  Major Works in progress! Machine is fighting against me every which way!

BonesCDI
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 395
April 16, 2018 - 11:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

No worries mate...........but make it quick.........I'm off to the UK

Running and project bikes from 1912 -2005..........She hasn't said stop yet.........

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 98

Currently Online: Piquet, Digby, Tezza175
24 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3304

Anderzander: 3210

bart: 3128

Sprung Chicken: 2650

David Dale: 2493