A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Maddogs 1956 D3 Swing-Arm Budget Restoration
NoviceD3er
New User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 4
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 3, 2015 - 5:41 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

hey MD,

what lacquer were you using on your finish coat?

thanks, db

Maddog Leary
Melbourne Australia
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1251
May 3, 2015 - 9:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

NoviceD3er said
hey MD,

what lacquer were you using on your finish coat?

thanks, db

Hi Dean,

It came from a professional automotive paint shop.  Asked for a clear lacqueur that was oil and petrol resistant.  It's called Auto Clear HS 496 2k clear (520 0000000) think the 2K is the important bit.  Other than that there is nothing on the can apart from all the usual safety instructions in a zillion different languages.  Guy in store said to leave to inure for a day before re coating and leaving for a further week before exposing to petrol and/or oil.

Sorry, not much of a help.

MD cheers

Maddog - 56 Swingarm D3 Major -  Major Works in progress! Machine is fighting against me every which way!

NoviceD3er
New User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 4
May 5, 2015 - 5:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

thats helpful, thanks.

Maddog Leary
Melbourne Australia
Forum User
Site Member
October 23, 2015 - 7:14 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Finally some progress.......  Managed to purloin some pennies from the nearly empty coffers (don't tell top management) and get some more enamel and lacquer......  Been back and revisited the bits I wasn't happy with.  Also replaced the rubber bushes on the swing-arm and shocks (swear tin did very well out of it)...

[Permission to view this image is denied]

Light wasn't very good hence poor quality pics; was going to take outside but Melbourne weather being what it is, it started raining...  Have also decided that the tank I did earlier is not up to scratch and have started refurbing the old black D1 tank I have. Currently in process of removing old damaged transfers and cleaning up the paint for re laquering.

Just need a job now and I can order the  bits so work can continue.

MD cheers

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
  • sp_PlupImage Refurbd_swingarm.jpg(122 KB)
  • sp_PlupImage Frame1.jpg(162 KB)
  • sp_PlupImage Frame2.jpg(211 KB)

Maddog - 56 Swingarm D3 Major -  Major Works in progress! Machine is fighting against me every which way!

BSAdave
London
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1395
October 23, 2015 - 10:45 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Its getting there .

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong

Maddog Leary
Melbourne Australia
Forum User
Site Member
October 23, 2015 - 10:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yea! all I gotta do now is work out how this jigsaw puzzle goes back together again without damaging the new paint work! LOL

MD dunnodoh

cocorico
Central France
Forum Posts: 2532
October 23, 2015 - 11:24 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Maddog Leary said
Yea! all I gotta do now is work out how this jigsaw puzzle goes back together again without damaging the new paint work! LOL

MD dunnodoh

Very, very carefully and slowly. wink

Maddog Leary
Melbourne Australia
Forum User
Site Member
October 25, 2015 - 10:47 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well I'm beginning to think my old girl doesn't want to be restored.......  After the debacle with the slightly warped center stand (see 'wot I did today' thread)....  I went to fit the center stand only to find one of the threads the brake plate bolts into has stripped....  Marvelous! rantingrantingrantingranting  could have gotten away with it; but! it's on the side that holds the stand spring loop......  Then spent an ages searching for Grandads' old tap and die set to try to fix; but gave up as my mood was not improving and I noticed that the center bar has a couple of slight kinks in it......rantingrantingrantingranting....

Oh the joys of Bantam ownership.  Could be worse, could be raining - oh it already is......

MD dunno

Hans Kreuzen
Queensland Australia
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 833
October 25, 2015 - 11:42 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

These Bantams are set to test our patience, The treads for my brake plate where that chopped out that I had to cut it down and weld nuts onto the frame.

Keep up the good work.thumbs-up

1950 D1 plunger for daily use, Concourse 1948 D1 rigid, Black 1953 D1 plunger nearly done and a 1949 rigid D1 survivor.

BSAdave
London
Forum User
Club Member
October 25, 2015 - 12:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh dear and it was thinking i was the one with bad luck. It will all worth it when its done that is when the real fun begins

Derek's D5
Committee
Banter Editor
Club Librarian
Forum Posts: 1511
October 25, 2015 - 3:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

On my project D5 the threads for the brake plate are at funny angles and are different sizes. If I had a welder and I could weld then I could use Cocorico's method. Instead, i have bent the brake plate forwards so that the brake pedal actually stops before it gets level with the middle of the points cover. I've seen another solution which is to make a homemade brake plate, slightly wider than the original. I think you'd struggle to find a bantam without this issue of the brake plate bolts and threads being wrecked. It's the force of the bike being heaved onto the stand for decades.

cocorico
Central France
October 25, 2015 - 5:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dookie said
 If I had a welder and I could weld then I could use Cocorico's method.

Oops, I think you have Hans and I confused.[Permission to view this image is denied]

• sp_PlupImage joke.jpg(29 KB)
Derek's D5
Committee
Banter Editor
Club Librarian
October 25, 2015 - 5:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

cocorico said

Dookie said
 If I had a welder and I could weld then I could use Cocorico's method.

Oops, I think you have Hans and I confused.[Permission to view this image is denied]

That'll be the codeine! 

cocorico
Central France
October 25, 2015 - 7:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dookie said

That'll be the codeine! 

Mmm, my drug of choice (after fermented grape juice).

Maddog Leary
Melbourne Australia
Forum User
Site Member
October 25, 2015 - 10:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dookie said
On my project D5 the threads for the brake plate are at funny angles and are different sizes. If I had a welder and I could weld then I could use Cocorico's method. Instead, i have bent the brake plate forwards so that the brake pedal actually stops before it gets level with the middle of the points cover. I've seen another solution which is to make a homemade brake plate, slightly wider than the original. I think you'd struggle to find a bantam without this issue of the brake plate bolts and threads being wrecked. It's the force of the bike being heaved onto the stand for decades.

Yes, that area was very 'hacked' about on mine too.  Probably why there wasn't the stand loop and spring when I got her.  Also the stand that came with the bike was wrong for the D3 model. When cleaning the gunk off with the 240 volt wire brush found a large crack in the cross member of the stand.   When cleaned out, went to straighten it and the thing broke in half like an over stressed paperclip.  Have re-tapped the thread and for the moment seems ok fingers-crossed.....  Made me a be paranoid now lol.  Thought I'd been more than diligent during the strip down.  Maybe I should have been wearing my glasses; went through a denial phase with those things as I didn't want to believe I was in need of them.  (However my arms soon proved not to be long enough to hold things far away enough to focus......Lol).....

Hey ho, onward and upwards.....

MD doh

Maddog Leary
Melbourne Australia
Forum User
Site Member
October 28, 2015 - 2:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Right...  Decided to make a move today.  Started a trial fitting session on the frame components and the old girl continued where she left off!!!! (being wotsit minded and belligerent).  Was finally able to coax her together...  Good job none of you were watching as the air was quite blue - as was my thumb when the 'nudge' rubber mallet I was forced to use missed its mark!....rantingrantingranting......

Some of you may notice that the swing arm spindle end isn't in the right possie yet....  Thumb was giving me jip so I called it a day.

MD doh

• sp_PlupImage Trial_fitting.jpg(195 KB)

Maddog Leary
Melbourne Australia
Forum User
Site Member
December 27, 2015 - 12:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok, after 'creating' a new rear light from the remnants of the two I had;

I thought I would have a look at the centre stand and the bits n bobs that go with it.   Using the original foot rest bar (several hrs of arguing with it with a large lump hammer and engineering vice to get the bumps out) which had been bashed, abused and bent in several places over the years.  Managed to get it reasonably straight.  I like the slight bend in it as it reflects the old girls character from when I rode her her all those yrs ago

Offered up stand only to find a large gap between the stand lugs and the frame - spacers required; then found the stand loops were a lot larger than the centre bar - more spacers required....... Brake pedal - spacer required....  To cut a long story short and after a lot of faffing about, fossicking in the old parts boxes, hack sawing, grinding and swearing, My D3 finally has her under cart on... Including new rubber boots.  Not quite concours but a step forward....

Happy fettling!  

MD cheers

• sp_PlupImage Stand1.jpg(772 KB)

BSAdave
London
Forum User
Club Member
December 27, 2015 - 9:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Getting there, Are you going to be brave and try to fit the steering stem again ?

Maddog Leary
Melbourne Australia
Forum User
Site Member
December 27, 2015 - 11:35 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's on....  Well the bearers and stem (bottom yoke and head stem).  Will have to 'insert' the legs and retouch them...  Swapped the legs over and they now both fit happily in the lower stem....  Go figure.......  Wont worry about them until I get word that the fork springs I have on back order are in.  Just waiting on my order from Rex Caunt so I can start the engine rebuild......

MD cheers

Derek's D5
Committee
Banter Editor
Club Librarian
December 27, 2015 - 12:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh can you keep us posted on the fork springs? I may need some too. Where have you ordered them from?

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 98

Currently Online: barffy, Tezza175, JulianS
25 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3304

Anderzander: 3210

bart: 3128

Sprung Chicken: 2650

David Dale: 2493