A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Hans, 1949 D1 survivor
Blue Heeler
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1950
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 17, 2018 - 11:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh yes,I see what you mean with the rear guard to frame gap,just been back to look at your photos.

Those deep valanced front guards are a pain to work on I`ve found.

At least she`s all there,just a matter of much fettling.

Are you going to leave her complete,apart from removing the front-end,when you straighten the headstock/frame.Over the years I`ve taken bikes in to be straightened either complete minus front end,or bare frame with crankcases bolted in.With the bare Bantam frame I have bought to do,I will see if crankcases will bolt up ok,then remove and make a solid steel plate instead.I`ve got this fear of a crankcase lug popping when exerting straightening pressures.

Is it going to be a waxy-oily rag job.

A late brilliant artist/sculptor mate,Eddie the Fish could do distressed(did some amazing projects for BBC,Harrods,Billingsgate etc) and I know a very talented local artist,she does furniture that way at times,but their work as nice as it is,is just illusionary ......but what you have there with your Rigid is real,it`s historical.I know a top bookbinder,works in archives&restoration in NZ,I wonder what his take on preserving your seat would be?

Hans Kreuzen
Queensland Australia
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 833
March 18, 2018 - 12:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Blue

Very interesting, regarding the preservation of the original leather look vinyl on the seat, I'll have to look in to that.

As for the resto, I want to keep the bike as found, with most of the brushed house paint removed and  finish it with a oil type clear coat to protect and preserve, I'll do some tests with different products and post what I used, I would like to the rusty look but not get dirty when I ride the bike.

The plan is to remove the engine and pull it all apart, check all the bearings and replace the oil seals, It leaks oil so I have to dis assemble anyway to replace all the gaskets, The bike and engine only had only 9 years of use, before it was parked up after the accident, and the ex owner had it running for 10 min. before I bought the bike from Sydney, that's 12 hours away by road.

When I straighten the frame, I will bolt a old "broken" pair casings in to the mounts to keep it all in line, etc.

I will fit a old rusty mirror and worn reflector on the back plate for registration, replace the home made flat bar rear stays with originals, if I can find any for sale.

I also have a spare original Wipac lever switch to fit on the handle bar.

This 49 is going to look awesome parked next to my shiny 48 in the picture.[Permission to view this image is denied]

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
  • sp_PlupImage 1948-D1-Bantam-8.jpg(127 KB)

1950 D1 plunger for daily use, Concourse 1948 D1 rigid, Black 1953 D1 plunger nearly done and a 1949 rigid D1 survivor.

Blue Heeler
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1950
March 18, 2018 - 11:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I`m sure she`ll look a treat Hans. Great to see your restored 1948 again,absolutely stunning,both bikes will compliment each other perfectly.

Sounds like you have it just about all planned out.I`m amazed she started after all those years....worth the long trip I`d say.I remember the long journeys back in Oz.

Good news with the Wipac lever switch,they must be getting a bit thin on the ground now.

Blue

cocorico
Central France
Forum Posts: 2532
March 19, 2018 - 7:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think that if you want to keep it with it's history, repair of the accident damage and roadworthiness is 'all' you need to do. Things like non-original braces, etc, are part of it's character. But that's only my view! wink

Hans Kreuzen
Queensland Australia
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 833
March 19, 2018 - 8:32 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I do agree with you Cocorico, but the flat bar brackets don't fit right, that's why the guards was never bolted up right, But don't worry, I won't paint it and it will be a oily rag resto, Just for you, ha ha

1950 D1 plunger for daily use, Concourse 1948 D1 rigid, Black 1953 D1 plunger nearly done and a 1949 rigid D1 survivor.

cocorico
Central France
Forum Posts: 2532
March 19, 2018 - 11:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

thumbs-up roflroflrofl

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 98

Currently Online: mikef, David Jordan, stubaker58, xbounty-ghostx
16 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page: