A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1951 Bantam D1 - ISDT Gold Medal Winner
Urbanghost
South wales
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 30
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 21, 2018 - 5:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bolt on clutch levers with spare cables in place, pressure release lever and other lever I not sure about, maybe engine cut out?  someone will know.

[Permission to view this image is denied]

Extra tool box, any idea what bike its off?

Air bottle for tyres

Air filter, different to ones I have seen, but not sure

Carb

Rear number plate holder and lights

Bolt on brake lever and spare cable and throttle

Map case

Steering stem knob

Mick W
Chester/ North Wales Flintshire Border
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 695
September 21, 2018 - 6:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Found info on the bike and gentleman here

[Permission to view this media is denied]

A mention of Gold Medal winner Fitzroy Allen is deserved here, anyone with a photo of him especially at the huge Dinas Rock section, after all he was using a BSA 123cc Bantam, thanks to A. Williams for pointing this out.

The gent and his bike[Permission to view this image is denied]
Winning a gold medal

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
  • sp_PlupImage DC05AF5D-03DF-4EA9-B944-4D832B50B708.jpeg(40 KB)
  • sp_PlupImage 2C8279DC-9E90-471C-8999-6EE2A2BCBE68.jpeg(40 KB)
Urbanghost
South wales
Forum User
Club Member
September 21, 2018 - 6:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mick W said
Found info on the bike and gentleman here

Thats a picture of him with various trophies he had won, Thats a few years before this bike, the bike in picture is a rigid he first started racing on.

Family still has all the trophies in the attic and are going to get them out for me to have pictures of.  They also have loads of pictures and magazine articles, one of him jumping on a bike on the front cover.  waiting to get copies of them all.

There is some good info on that site about him, found that when i first had the bike and did a search of his name.

cocorico
Central France
Forum Posts: 2532
September 21, 2018 - 9:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Urbanghost said
...Family still has all the trophies in the attic and are going to get them out for me to have pictures of.  They also have loads of pictures and magazine articles, one of him jumping on a bike on the front cover.  waiting to get copies of them all... 

There you go - put all the info you can find in a nice folder to keep with the bike and you will have increased the value without doing anything to it!

Piquet
West Norfolk
Admin
Forum Posts: 2214
September 21, 2018 - 11:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

There is an element of confusion here, although as stated above he was entered in the 1952 event in Austria, it looks as though he actually won the Gold Medal in 1951 in Italy.

** Please log in to view **

It's quite possible the bike was built with factory assistance as some of the parts pictured weren't available for public sale until a year or two later (barrel and head?), or could they have been added later? To me, the forks don't look as though they are reversed (although the brake is on the opposite side), they are not the same shape as the later legs, they look like early legs modified to take a closer fitting mudguard and stays rather than the standard, high level, shovel type normally fitted at the time. Perhaps they were prototypes for the later standard style mudguard?

I'm not a complete idiot ............................................ some parts are missing.

Urbanghost
South wales
Forum User
Club Member
September 21, 2018 - 11:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Piquet said
There is an element of confusion here, although as stated above he was entered in the 1952 event in Austria, it looks as though he actually won the Gold Medal in 1951 in Italy.

** Please log in to view **

It's quite possible the bike was built with factory assistance as some of the parts pictured weren't available for public sale until a year or two later (barrel and head?), or could they have been added later? To me, the forks don't look as though they are reversed (although the brake is on the opposite side), they are not the same shape as the later legs, they look like early legs modified to take a closer fitting mudguard and stays rather than the standard, high level, shovel type normally fitted at the time. Perhaps they were prototypes for the later standard style mudguard?  

I knew the bike had been entered in 2 ISDT races, so he did actually win a gold but in 1951 not 1952.  So the bike is definitely a gold medal bike ridden by him.  Thats brilliant, thank you for clearing that up.

Urbanghost
South wales
Forum User
Club Member
September 22, 2018 - 9:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well i have taken the plunge, plunger? and joined the bantam club tonight.  This bsa thing is addictive.

Urbanghost
South wales
Forum User
Club Member
September 25, 2018 - 8:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

A quick update.

The bike is going to be in the Swansea Classic Motorcycle Show on 7th October, its first outing in years.  Show used to be at Swansea museum and was one of the best shows in Wales.  This year it is at a new venue, Swansea Bus Museum. So if anyone wants to see the bike or is going to the show then come and say hello.

Blue Heeler
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1950
September 25, 2018 - 10:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Extra toolbox looks similar to late `40s 350 BSA one I sent to Tas the other year.They probably wouldn`t have wanted to fit anything from any other make than BSA.

Air filter mod to protect engine from drawing in water going through the "big puddles".

Is there a decompressor fitted to the head....to match that little lever?

Handlebar risers and your noted bolt-on levers for replacement/re-positioning after a tumble,rather than the fixed lug ones.

Urbanghost
South wales
Forum User
Club Member
September 25, 2018 - 11:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Blue Heeler said

Is there a decompressor fitted to the head....to match that little lever?

Yes head has decompressor fitted and has cable connected.

I have also found a picture of Fitzroy Allen riding the bike in the 1951 ISDT and bike is identical right dopwn to the little handle on the front mudguard and the mudguard stays are in front of the forks exactly like the bike I have and you can clearly see the numberplate is the same.

Found the picture in an american magazine Cycle, they did a report on the race.

Blue Heeler
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1950
September 26, 2018 - 8:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the photos,sorry...I missed the decomp photo on page 1

What a beauty,all very neat and tidy.

Have you got the single seat and risers?

Urbanghost
South wales
Forum User
Club Member
September 26, 2018 - 9:40 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Blue Heeler said
Thanks for the photos,sorry...I missed the decomp photo on page 1

What a beauty,all very neat and tidy.

Have you got the single seat and risers?  

No single seat but looking at photos and the height he is sitting on the bike I'm sure the double seat was on the bike when racing.  Asked the family and they can't find one in the garage.

Urbanghost
South wales
Forum User
Club Member
September 27, 2018 - 1:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Blue Heeler said
Not currently a Club Member,but wouldn`t it make a great article for the Bantam Mag!

I couldn't help myself and joined up. laugh  Would this be a possible?  I think Fitzroy Allen deserves a bit of glory for what he achieved on this little bike.

swalsh58
St. Mary's Bay, Kent
Club Dating Officer
Committee
Forum Posts: 914
September 27, 2018 - 8:20 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Urbanghost said

Blue Heeler said
Not currently a Club Member,but wouldn`t it make a great article for the Bantam Mag!

I couldn't help myself and joined up. laugh  Would this be a possible?  I think Fitzroy Allen deserves a bit of glory for what he achieved on this little bike.  

Write the article, include pictures. Send it to the editor of the club magazine Banter. You will know where to send it when you get you membership pack as it will include a copy of Banter. Inside the front cover are details of the editor

Current bikes......1958 D5, and a 77 Suzuki GT250 being rebuilt. I have a 74 Kawasaki KH400 in the queue, along with a 58 Tiger Cub and a 1980 Honda CB400N. A 1978 Honda CB125S on the road and  I currently ride a 2011 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster

Urbanghost
South wales
Forum User
Club Member
September 27, 2018 - 5:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Received my club pack today, loads of stuff to read tonight and a nice little poster to go in my folder with the bike,great.

Got home early from work today so went down the cellar for a fiddle with the bike.  I unscrewed the map holder from the tank because it has been puzzling me how it was attached.  I have been thinking that maybe the tank had holes drilled into it or nuts welded on to hold it.  BUt when I have taken it off it turns out that it has molded holes for the bolts.  I have searched online but cant find any D1's with anything bolted to the tank in this area.  Did they make a D1 with rubber knee pads on the tank?  or is this possibly another prototype part that was made for holding the map case?  Anyone have any ideas as I can't find anything like it. You can see that the map case is on the bike in the race picture and the you can see the bolts shining in the light. Also the cream panel only comes to the end of the map case and looks like it they just stopped painting it and you can see primer where it hasn't gone up to the red pinstripe.

Urbanghost
South wales
Forum User
Club Member
October 8, 2018 - 4:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Over the last week I have increased what is known about the bike quite a bit.  I entered the bike into Swansea Classic Motorcycle show yesterday and it was the most looked at bike in the show and was approached by various magazines and the organizers of a few bike shows asked if I would bring it along to their shows, they even offered to transport it for me.

Quite a lot of people there knew Fitzroy Allen and one even knew the bike belonged to him.  It was mentioned that he was friendly with Keith Taylor who made the Alto Suzuki Trials bike in Swansea many years ago.  So while looking online for info I came across the number of one of the engineers who worked at Alto and I rang him on the off chance that he knew him.  It turns out he did know him and that Fitzroy was keiths good friend and that he was also very good friends with Fred Rist, who used to have a shop in his town and was his team mate in BSA.  He gave me another number to ring of a guy who is sort of a historian for the local trials scene and would know about Fitzroy and the bike.

He rung me today and I met him at his home and he told me everything about fitzroy and the bike.  He even had photos of him racing and adverts that Fitzroy had in race programs from the 50s, along with details of races that he had been in.

So this is what is know about the bike now.  It was made for Fitzroy Allen specially for the ISDT by BSA who wanted to see if the Bantam was good enough. Every part on the bike that wasn't available as a competition part were specially made one off parts just for this bike.  So things like the air tank, the chain oiler, belly pan, air filter and even the petrol tank were custom made just for this bike and fitted at the BSA factory by their race engineers.  They then gave the bike to him to race for them in the ISDT and he won a gold medal.

They never made another one and it was a one off custom made BSA race bike.

cocorico
Central France
Forum Posts: 2532
October 8, 2018 - 5:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fascinating, and obviously (to me, anyway) worth keeping as it is. Other Bantams are always available, but not with such history.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 98

Currently Online: goldenflash
26 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3304

Anderzander: 3210

bart: 3128

Sprung Chicken: 2650

David Dale: 2493