A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1949 D1 Valentine project
Derek's D5
Committee
Banter Editor
Club Librarian
Forum Posts: 1511
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 7, 2015 - 3:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dave, I think your bantam must be cursed. Did you find it in an Egyptian tomb or something?

Some different types of paint are not compatible with each other. But this is odd because you say it was the second coat. I don't think a clear coat is necessary except for over transfers, or over metallic paint. My paint went crinkly in places, and I was told that it was probably because it was done in winter and the workshop was too cold/damp.

BSAdave
London
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1395
April 7, 2015 - 4:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think you could be right, LOL.

Any way the tank is now stripped back to bare metal again and given a coat of etch primmer and is drying in the sunshine. The fork bushes and seals arrived today, these were soon fitted and I am pleased to say no more play in the front end.

So today some thing went right.

I'm trying to stay positive about the tank and I was never happy about the the ivory panel, when I was looking at pictures of Bantams of this era the panel was a lot smaller than I sprayed mine, so this time I will make it smaller. l am so glad that I had not fitted the transfers.

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong

Hans Kreuzen
Queensland Australia
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 833
April 8, 2015 - 10:08 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dave, I send you a PM, Hans

1950 D1 plunger for daily use, Concourse 1948 D1 rigid, Black 1953 D1 plunger nearly done and a 1949 rigid D1 survivor.

BSAdave
London
Forum User
Club Member
April 10, 2015 - 12:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

For the first time since 1964 the engine run, only for 20 seconds as I only put a dribble of petrol in a temporary tank, lots of white smoke from the oil used during the rebuild but it runs. I purchased a job lot of bits off of E bay and in them was a rather sad looking mag and lighting coils i soldered a bit of HT wire on it fitted the thing to the bike and 'i had the biggest blue spark so i just wrapped the ht around the spark plug and didn't really expect it to start but it did.

About time some thing went right. LOL tip-my-hat

Hans Kreuzen
Queensland Australia
Forum User
Club Member
April 10, 2015 - 12:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, I'm glad it started for you, You have to have a win sooner or later, Keep it up the good work, Hansclap

1950 D1 plunger for daily use, Concourse 1948 D1 rigid, Black 1953 D1 plunger nearly done and a 1949 rigid D1 survivor.

dimitris
CYPRUS
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1489
April 10, 2015 - 8:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The bigger the problems, the bigger the satisfaction when it's all up and running..tip-my-hat

BSA D1, 125cc (1952)---BSA D10 Sport 175cc (1967)---Triumph Cub T20 (1960)

BSAdave
London
Forum User
Club Member
April 12, 2015 - 3:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well here it is running, Had to stop it has I had complaints from the household about the smoke and noise. How was I supposed to know that they had hung there washing out to dry ?

The silencer is on order. I did mange to ride it up the garden in first gear, The clutch needs looking at as it not disengaging correctly.

[Permission to view this media is denied]
feature=youtu.be

Hans Kreuzen
Queensland Australia
Forum User
Club Member
April 19, 2015 - 11:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sound's Really good Dave, Good enough to blast any washing of the line, It must have been a thrill and motivational to hear the engine running, clap

Where did you order the silencer from?

Hans 

BSAdave
London
Forum User
Club Member
April 19, 2015 - 11:44 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was so glad to have it running after the set backs, I have not done a lot since,(waiting on parts)  only applied the stickers.

PM sent about the silencer

BSAdave
London
Forum User
Club Member
April 23, 2015 - 10:36 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well what can i say, Yesterday was a waste of time. Wiring wiring wiring I hate it bearing in mind I am an Electrician you would think I would like doing this.

I decided to have a brake from the Bantam and get on and finish my land Rover series 2 bulkhead but my welder stopped working, the wire feed motor as burnt out. I had a long conversation with the Silencer man and it should be here next week. he was telling all about the parts he makes not just for Bantams but other bikes as well, he also is making new centre stands.

He is also going to making the fishtail silencer in aluminium, should be interesting.  He will be at Stafford this weekend. So if you need any thing go have a chat with him.

Below is the Bantam as it is now and in the back ground is the Bulkhead

[Permission to view this image is denied]

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
  • sp_PlupImage small.JPG(123 KB)

Hans Kreuzen
Queensland Australia
Forum User
Club Member
April 23, 2015 - 10:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looking good Dave, Sorry I cant help you with your light switch issue, I just make stuff look shiny, I note that you fitted your BSA transfer on the tank now, (looks good) Some times it's good to walk away from the Bantam to keep you sanity.

Keep up the good work, Hans

Derek's D5
Committee
Banter Editor
Club Librarian
Forum Posts: 1511
April 23, 2015 - 1:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dave, I know where there's a fishtail. Chap I know is looking to sell his collection of parts. It's a nice shiny one painted black, in perfect condition. Shall I ask him how much?

BSAdave
London
Forum User
Club Member
April 23, 2015 - 2:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the offer but I have paid for it and it will be delivered next week. 

BSAdave
London
Forum User
Club Member
May 5, 2015 - 10:28 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Drums fingers on table top,  Still waiting for the silencer, I spoke to the manufacturer on Thursday and he says it was posted, still not got it , I'm starting to get concerned about this as I can not really afford to loose £150. (price on web site £105)

Also still waiting for the paper work to come back from the DVLA and dating certificate.

Any way time to get things done, I was using the stator and coils from a later Bantam which I knew worked just to eliminate any electrical problems on the initial start up, Being as I could do nothing else I refurbished the geni mag and fitted this yesterday and I am pleased to say this is now on and working.

So it is back to the waiting game.

One lesson learnt, I will not be buying any parts by cheque or ordering any parts from a web site that does not have a on-line payment method again.

So the Valentine project as stalled.

Hans Kreuzen
Queensland Australia
Forum User
Club Member
May 5, 2015 - 11:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Must be one of those day's Dave, Just found out that my crank is bend in the 1950 plunger, I think I am on plan D now, But I am sure it will all work out fine Dave and your new fishtail will look great when it is fitted.

Keep a smile on your dial and remember that it suppose to be a hobbyroflroflranting

Hans

Maddog Leary
Melbourne Australia
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1251
May 5, 2015 - 11:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi gang,

Just a note on the fish tail type silencers.  When ordering, make sure the silencer has proper internal metal baffles.  Have read some horror stories of people buying them and then having to get them re chromed only to find they have non metal baffles inside and therefore have to split, remove the innards re weld and then re chrome.

MD 

Maddog - 56 Swingarm D3 Major -  Major Works in progress! Machine is fighting against me every which way!

BSAdave
London
Forum User
Club Member
May 9, 2015 - 10:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fed up waiting and having a few too many last night i knocked this up, lol.[Permission to view this image is denied]

• sp_PlupImage 20150509_094911.jpg(85 KB)

Hans Kreuzen
Queensland Australia
Forum User
Club Member
May 9, 2015 - 10:25 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Careful, If you have to much compression you will lift the rear wheel straight of the ground. LOL, At least you can't aim it at the washing hanging on the line.roflrofl

BSAdave
London
Forum User
Club Member
May 9, 2015 - 11:20 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The weather is too cold to be putting washing out,

[Permission to view this media is denied]
feature=em-upload_owner

BSAdave
London
Forum User
Club Member
May 9, 2015 - 4:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I got the impression you was not impressed with my silencer so i dug the cut down one out and after much bashing and cleaning i got to look like this. not ideal but will do until[Permission to view this image is denied]
the new one turns up, if it ever does lol.

• sp_PlupImage exhaust.JPG(209 KB)

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 98

Currently Online: barffy, JulianS
25 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3304

Anderzander: 3210