A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Trying to fathom a battery type 1959 D7's electrics.
Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2257
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 14, 2018 - 11:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I want to keep bike as original as possible and without spending too much, as I will eventually sell it.

What got me was 3 separate coils on the stator, two for lighting and one for battery charging, giving six wires, but only three wires or connections going in, to them, not counting the HT lead.

** Please log in to view **

Not the one I eventually fitted, but it serves, the sheath with a dab of white paint on left has three coper wires inside, soldered together (1).

The middle wire sticking out is actually two soldered together (2)

The wire to the right is actually a single wire for once!

Pardon my poor writing and drawing skills, but this may help others that are confused as was I. I do like to draw a schemic diagram of things I don't fully understand, my drawing is worse than my handwriting I know!

Starts of No.1 and No, 3 coils soldered to end of No.2 coil. This is the wire connection to the left with the 1 and 4 brass stator terminals, I believe this earths the two lighting starts and one battery beginning.
End of No. 1 soldered to start of No. 2 is the second outgoing AC battery output I think.
End of No.3 is free, so must got to light red, main lights output.
I still do not understand why the diagrams show the three wire end connections to go to the No.4 terminal on the stator plate, it needs to go to No. 1 already earthed to polarise it all, or nothing will work.
Two lots of AC current and one of DC can get a bit confused here, but they are all out of phase with each other, The two lighting coils are wire one direction, earthed from the start of their coils and the battery charge single AC coil is connected from end of coil to earth.
Hopefully the Battery will take no notice!
I have noticed on three of these coil sets that people have reconnected the lighting coils into series connections, IE: one start to another end, thereby doubling the voltage output, 
I could do the same and put twelve volts bulbs in, one day but of course halving the wattage available, but then by doubling voltage, only half the wattage is required to do same job.

I hope this helps clear things a bit, I must admit I can't start bike to try it all out yet as I have no piston barrel or head, carb etc.  fitted just yet to be sure, but I cannot think of any other way.

By the way, a big thank you to Doug Brown and his comment about his wife's twin switch D7 problem, his term about phasing was what I needed to hear to get myself motivated and thinking along the right lines.

By the way, did Clyn Thomas and another once strip out a good few old Bantam coil sets to once and for all get the absolute correct designations down? DD.

Four now on the road and at least several in bits.

sunny
Norfolk
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1039
November 15, 2018 - 10:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

hi Mags  it  looks like  a  D  1,3 & 5   geny litin   set  you  have   &  some one   has  tryed  to  rig  it up  to run  for  your  D 7        but  this  cannot   get  enuf   power   on  the  D 7  wiering   loom     please   chek    the SPEC  number     ,for  a  D 7  s/w   its  1552  &  not   1450     ,,the  wier  collers  at the   geny  for  d7   are   white  ,  orange  ,  red   , for d  1,3& 5   are   white  , lite  Green , RED      you  need to  ID wich   you  have

Peterg
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1108
November 15, 2018 - 3:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looking at your drawing some one is trying to make a pigs ear out of it. E1 & E2 should be joined to produce the ac lighting supply and E3 should go to a rectifier for the battery. S1, 2 & 3 should be joined and be the earth. i.e. the top of the coil is the power output and the bottom of the coil is the earth.

Being ac you can reverse the connections but you cannot mix them. All that will do is sent the charge direct to earth down the other wire.

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1399
November 15, 2018 - 4:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

two different ways of wiring that stator
lights only work with engine running, AC headlights
lights work without engine running, DC headlights

D? - D10- D14 Bantams 350 AJS -500 Triumph http://bsanotru.....lfire.com/

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
November 15, 2018 - 8:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks to all three of you for replying, not sure where to start, but I bought a bare frame and engine casings and went from there.

Sunny, I just stuck in the first decent stator plate I came upon and built it up from there, surely 3 connections and an earth can't be that hard to fathom?

PeterG, are you saying that I cannot run two separate lots of AC through same earthed frame? Surely if all starts of three coils were on earth then lights and battery would both get all 3 coils output at the same time? By reversing one, IE: the battery AC feed, I thought it would be in a different phase. I have about eight of these 3 coil sets all connected the same, all from different places.

Mike, seems like I'm spoiled for choice! 

That's the diagram I'm trying to work to, seems to me I have it correct, but BSA never gave much info away to the ordinary man who bought their stuff, trade secrets!

sunny
Norfolk
Forum User
Club Member
November 16, 2018 - 8:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

that  dyagram  is  D 1,3&  5    but  thers   two    for  this    as  the   generators  are  wired   difarent   coz   a  resister   wirer   is fited  into  the   wiering  loom     &  its  not  always   shown      

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
November 16, 2018 - 7:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's this one Sunny. D7 is included.

sunny
Norfolk
Forum User
Club Member
November 17, 2018 - 9:25 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

hi  MAGS  your   dyagram    rufly    covers  D 1 ,3& 5     but   as   ther  wer   4  chages  in  it  befor  1957 /8 , it s   a batery  D.C.  circuit    that  works  but    depending  on  the    generator    not   offen  proply  ,,   it   is also  the  dyagram   that  loosly   maches   your   generator   for  battery use   DONOT    use a wier  bridg  from  post  3  to post 2  as  post  2   is  an Earth  post   swoping  over  the  green & red  wiers  on posts 1 &4  can  help with charging   as  this  was  one  of  the changes  in the  looms   ,, so  i  ges  you have  to  carry  on  with   your  progect       ,,,  your  DYAGRAM    IS  NOT  FOR  D 7  s/w   &  genys  dont  have   enuf power     to  work  the  D 7  system  proply     please  get back  if  needed

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 98

Currently Online: johnsullivan
23 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3304

Anderzander: 3210

bart: 3128

Sprung Chicken: 2650

David Dale: 2491