A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Building a 1950 D1 Trials for Competition
gtowndualsport
New User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 10, 2018 - 2:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello all,

I just bought a 1950 Bantam D1. It's been modified some. I'll try to post pictures. I just joined, so I think that the moderators have to approve me to upload pictures.

My goal is to ride in enough vintage events to be scored. My AHRMA, American Historic Racing Motorcycle Association, class is Lightweight Rigid. It is basically any 300cc and under rigid or plunger frame bike true to the period. We are allowed to make any modifications that a period rider would have made.

Here's my general plan. Start with my 1950 BSA Bantam D1. Put in a 1966 D7 engine with the Bones CDI. I already have the engine. I have ordered the Bones CDI. Here's areas where I need advice:

Front End - I know that they are weak to say the least. I thought about putting in a C15 fork and wheel. If I could find a drop in solution, I would do it. I would want to replace the whole front end with forks, triples, and wheel. Right now, I'm leaning towards fabricating a brace for the front forks which would also support a small front fender.

Tires - Depending on the front end solution, I'm going to need new tires and tubes. Any suggestions for the best grip and size?

Carburetor - Which carb would run best with the D7 motor for trials? I think that it came with an Amal 375. I want the most trouble free carb. I'm aiming for a one kick start when warm to save energy. I'm thinking about going with a Domino slow action throttle. Any suggestions for an air cleaner?

Handlebars - I would like to have some nice wide bars for the leverage. My Montesa Cota 247 has some great Renthal bars. I think that they are 32" wide.

Gearing - I'm not sure what size countershaft (front) sprocket is currently on the engine. The rear sprocket is a 58 tooth. Does anyone have a really good gearing combination? I'm thinking about using an o-ring 420 chain. We do a lot of hills and woods over here. I need a bike that will creep very slowly without the front end wanting to jump up continually.

That's as far as I have gotten so far. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

John

trialsrider46
Suffolk
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 31
October 11, 2018 - 4:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ideally you need 12 primary sprocket and 12 Gear box. The 58 rear will be just perfect. I am have the same engine and finding it difficult to achieve the objective of the sprocket change. The primary sprocket I am told will not run in line with the chain so would need mods. The gear box also has issues with chain strike on the pressed steel seal housing. I know this gearing works as I already have it on my B175 engine. If you solve the issue please keep me posted. Good luck Ken.

One Life Live It.

cocorico
Central France
Forum Posts: 2509
October 11, 2018 - 7:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

gtowndualsport said
Hello all,

...I just joined, so I think that the moderators have to approve me to upload pictures.

No, you should be able to post now.

When you start your post, if you scroll down the blank page there are three blocks, Smileys, Options and Attachments. Click 'Attachments' then scroll down again to 'Add Files'. Click on that, select your photo (less than 1Mb) and it will appear in the 'Select files' window together with + 1 files queued. Click 'Start Upload' (or add more files) and the photo should appear on your post. Generally type your post before adding photos until you are comfortable with ensuring the cursor is placed where you want the photo to appear in the post.

Hope that helps.

gtowndualsport
New User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3
October 12, 2018 - 3:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here is a picture of the beast as bought.[Permission to view this image is denied]

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
  • sp_PlupImage d1_1.jpg(554 KB)
cocorico
Central France
Forum Posts: 2509
October 12, 2018 - 9:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That looks good already - just needs a wipe-over with an oily rag and new tyres. rofl

That's a helluva inlet manifold, too.

Blue Heeler
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1919
October 12, 2018 - 10:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

trialsrider46 said
Ideally you need 12 primary sprocket and 12 Gear box. The 58 rear will be just perfect. I am have the same engine and finding it difficult to achieve the objective of the sprocket change. The primary sprocket I am told will not run in line with the chain so would need mods. The gear box also has issues with chain strike on the pressed steel seal housing. I know this gearing works as I already have it on my B175 engine. If you solve the issue please keep me posted. Good luck Ken.  

Make a primary chain guide.I don`t use the word tensioner because I wouldn`t advise putting that little chain under tension....just take up the slack.

Isn`t a simple mod done using a sealed bearing for behind the g/box sprox?

Blue Heeler
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1919
October 12, 2018 - 10:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

gtowndualsport said
Here is a picture of the beast as bought.  

Nice bike John.

I think that there was a D1 Trials on here recently with a fork brace,maybe it was the ISDT one? 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 98

Currently Online: alan wilson, Unitminor
13 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3304

Anderzander: 3212

bart: 3109

Sprung Chicken: 2650

David Dale: 2494